Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foxing

• 01-07-2022 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

Is anyone else seeing a big increase in foxes on your grounds.I thought last year the numbers were up but this year it seems higher than last looking at numbers I've taken and ones I have on various trail cameras.

I have videos of 3 vixen all with 4 cub's bordering a small forest of 30 acre's I thought they would be more spread out but no.Also 80% of all fox taken have been dogs.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,755 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Back in May/start of June was certainly seeing alot of cubs on my permissions in the West and back home in Kildare. Had a mini break in the South Tipp/North Cork area around that time too and the same story in those parts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭minktrapper

They are everywhere. Never seen so many on the back roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭17hmr1

Well I'm in Kildare and I can only think that as we've had a bit of a rabbit boost as well the last couple of years it must boost fox numbers.Pine Martin seem to be doing ok as well as I'm getting them on camera although never got young on them.

I think main reason for increase though is no body around shoots fox anymore and I can't or won't shoot cub's that I see that are not on my land also couldn't shoot a milky vixen but that's only my choice others might not be the same.

It must be said no matter what you think of them the way they can keep there numbers constant is amazing especially in areas they are hit hard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭minktrapper

Anywhere foxes are hit hard their numbers are replenished by others coming in from where they are not hit so hard. They are just filling a vacuum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 128 ✭✭darraghwalsh100

I always wonder what the story is with certain areas I know there is earths that are constantly being used but I shot 4 foxes out of the one field last March 3 dogs 1 vixen and when I went back for a look about a week ago with the lamp I saw another 2 in the field it’s not overly big I was shocked to see them in it to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,755 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Sign of an ever increasing population - a bit like the Irish housing crisis😏

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 595 ✭✭✭steyrman

Hi I manage a large area took over 350 foxes this season from September till may just over 11,000 acres in different areas mainly sheep farms. Speaking to the land owners there has being very little signs of cubs or active vixens I manage this ground over the last 12 years my total ranges between 300 / 370 foxes I would say I’m on top of them but each year the numbers are steady . The problem I see is the neighbours around don’t do as much as me so when I clean out my area when new ones arrive the have no competition for food so population increases I don’t have any other explanation

Advertisement