Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dropping floor level in new extension

• 02-07-2022 10:02am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 696 ✭✭✭

I am considering dropping the floor level in part of the back of our new extension (c. 12sqm) to provide a sense of separation between that area and other parts of the open plan space. The site the house is on is pretty level but the floor of the house of a good 12 inches + above outside ground level at the moment. Roughly what would the costs involved in dropping the floor to ground level be?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

€5k by the time the last concrete truck leaves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 696 ✭✭✭houseyhouse

Thanks. Is it the extra excavation that costs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭C. Eastwood

Is the floor of the extension Existing or Proposed?

I would not have a step in the internal floor of a dwellinghouse.

I would fit all steps outside external doors, and in compliance with the Building Regulations

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 696 ✭✭✭houseyhouse

I would like to drop the floor in part of an extension which is not built yet. I like level changes between different parts of the open plan space because it makes the spaces feel separate while still being connected. I understand there are issues around mobility access etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭C. Eastwood

Yes houseyhouse, I understand that some people like a split level house with the ground floor at different levels with 1 or a few steps.

The Building Regulations are for the Health Welfare and Safety of persons.

Because of family and guests and very young children and elderly persons, I would not have steps in the ground floor of my home.

However, if you decide to do it, there are excellent details on the Damp-proofing for stepped floors in Homebonds House Building Manual.

• Advertisement
Advertisement