Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What plants for this bed?

Options
  • 02-07-2022 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

hi guys, we recently got our tarmac done and I asked the tar man to leave a bed in front of the house so I could soften the look of front of the house a bit. Anyway this is what I have now - think it’s a bit small now (about 18” deep) but not much I can do about that. So it’s south facing. Any recommendations for plants? Would like something tallish but not hiding the windows - up to the sill maybe - so maybe 2.5 ft Max. Also something that would have some leaves, if not flowers, for most of the year. Was thinking of filling it with the same plant? Would anyone have any recommendations?

thanks for reading

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Lavender would probably suit since its south facing, it likes sunny and free draining so if it holds water it wouldn't be the best. You need to trim lavender every year after flowering, take away the old stalks and a bit of the new growth otherwise it will grow spindly. Otherwise its easy.

Erysimum, Wallflowers, are another great value plant, they are capable of flowering all year round, certainly from March to November. They have a lovely scent for outside your window and just need a bit of a haircut when the flowers are least evident.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

If the soil is on the dry side I'd also go for Lavender but Lavender won't tolerate being in wet soil.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭jackboy

Might be neater to dig out the earth and slot in rectangular pots. Easier then to chop and change till you find something suitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

I'd run a couple of courses of bricks around it and make it a raised bed.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭standardg60

Fuchsia 'Mrs Popple' would be a good option too

• Advertisement
Advertisement