Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convert gas to electric oven/hob

• 03-07-2022 11:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭

Hoping someone can guide me on the best steps to convert a gas cooker/over/hob to electric.

What is the first step? Do I need to get an electrician out to see if there is the right voltage going into the kitchen? and if not, then do I need to get re-wiring done?

Are there any providers that provide an end-to-end service offering with this?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭The Red Ace

If you are going to fit a new electric hob and oven you will need it wired from the board to where you are fitting them, any electrician will be able to do that for you, an induction hob will require 10 square cable, a simpler option would be fit a new gas hob’ and single multifunction oven which can be plugged into a socket.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭jackal

I changed my free standing gas cooker to a dual fuel with electric oven + grill and gas hobs. Much better combination as the gas oven I found terribly slow and inconsistent to cook with, but I loved the hobs. Got this one: https://www.stoves.co.uk/en-gb/cooking/freestanding-cookers/sterling-600df#444440989, but there are a good few options out there if you want to go that route.

Changing from a gas cooker to an electric, yes, as I discovered, you will need it to be wired into the mains with a double-pole isolating switch - not a standard wall socket, as an oven/grill will pull much more than the rated power from a socket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭JTMan

Finally getting around to doing this. Thanks for the posts above.

Is wiring from the board to the kitchen a very big job? i.e. does the electrician have to pull up floor boards and break tiles to get the required wire in place? or how do they do it? My kitchen is 3 rooms away from the board.

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

It is not clear what your existing configuration is.

If you have an all in one gas cooker personally I would look to change that to separates hob/oven, although this will require some reconfiguration of the kitchen/worktops. You could keep a gas hob and install an electric oven as per the suggestion above. Gas hobs are quite cheap and electric ovens aren't too bad either.

Back to your question, most houses are wired for an electric cooker, whether one was installed or not. So there may already be a cable running to the kitchen for a cooker. You would need to get someone out who knows what they are looking at to give an opinion. If you need to run a new cable from the board to the kitchen, depending on the cable run this could be a messy job. I'm assuming you don't have a long "cooker" isolator switch on the wall on the kitchen so one would need to be fitted, this will typically mean tiles will need to be broken away etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭JTMan

Thanks for your help.

I currently have a gas hob and a gas oven. I don't have a long "cooker" isolator switch on the wall on the kitchen.

For health and environmental reasons I would ideally like to switch to an induction hob and an electric oven.

That is interesting that most houses are wired for an electric cooker whether one was installed or not. I did not know that. And I have no clue if that is the case in my house or not.

As a next step, I will get an electrician out to give an opinion.

• Advertisement
Advertisement