Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Propane gas hob not working after changing cylinder

• 04-07-2022 1:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭

After changing the cylinder, my gas hob is no longer working. The gas will light for a second and then the flame will die. I have checked that the bottle is full and open, and the regulator is correctly attached.

Any ideas what else I can try before I have to call someone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Pissy Missy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭padraig.od

The cylinder is connected to a regulator that connects to a pipe that leads to the hob. We have had no issues until I swapped out the empty cylinder today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 770 ✭✭✭mikewest

Does the cylinder have an isolation valve or is it one with the valve built into the connector? Is this isolation valve open?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 168 ✭✭mr j tayto

Is it possible that the system is air locked? If you hold down the gas tap for a minute before letting it go, that might solve your problem.

• Advertisement

So just turn on one of the rings on the hob and let the gas run for a minute? Should I turn off the spark?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

I had this on a butane setup with a Jumbo regulator. Been off all winter and got it ready for summer use at the weekend. Didn't work when I put the new cylinder on, stove would lite but only partially. Ended up that I hadn't fully opened the valve on the regulator. I'd been turning it 90 degrees when it needed 180.

Wake me up when it's all over.

Ca-boom :-( . How will you know you are not reenacting a scene from Myth Busters? Open windows wait 10 minutes after you closed the gas off then try it.

You can do that but you really shouldn't need to. I've a 20ft pipe run and when I change the bottle over it works within seconds.

Over the years I've had to replace several regulators and a leaking hose. Only thing I can think of if everything else is OK is you have either a kink in the hose or the valve on the gas bottle is defective which does happen.

Interesting! So mine is 90 degrees with the narrow edge up. Maybe it should be 180 degrees?

Could be my regulator is banjaxed so? I have about a 20ft run also.

• Advertisement

The length of run is irrelevant, the gas only takes seconds to get from one end of the pipe to the other when everything is working.

Start gain, take it apart and redo it. If it doesn't work then its probably either a cylinder with a bad valve which can happen or your regulator and they can cause problems and need replacing.

There is nothing else I can really suggest that is safe to try. PM me if you want any more suggestions.

Thanks for the suggestion. I was away all evening, when I got back I turned on one of the jets and it lit immediately and burned strongly for 5 seconds, then died. Nothing coming through now which makes me think it is the regulator. So I disconnected everything. I reattached the regulator - not too tightly as I have been advised. Then opened the cylinder valve, most of the way. Still nothing. So frustrating!

I thought I'd follow up here for anyone else with this problem because I had a neighbor call me last night with this same issue.

They had the traditional jumbo regulator that pushes on and when they changed over to a new bottle they had the same problem as the OP worked for a few seconds then died.

Neighbor had already tried a new regulator (old one failed about a year ago and they now kept a new spare) so I repeated what I said here and told them to come down and pick up one of my spare unused gas bottles to try (family had Covid so couldn't stop and chat). I got a call ten minutes later saying the new bottle worked fine so there must have been a problem with the valve on the old one.

The point being very occasionally its the gas bottle thats at fault.

Sorry, I forgot to update the thread. So my issue just miraculously resolved itself. On the second day the flame stayed on for longer, and I repeatedly started one of the jets. B the end of the day the flame stayed on.

No idea what the issue was, if it is my regulator or my hob that is at fault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,842 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Advertisement