Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A320 front row noise

Options
  • 04-07-2022 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭

Recently flew on an Aer Lingus A320 and was seated in the first row. One problem I experienced was a lot of engine noise or so it seemed, I was unable to hear cabin crew or pilot announcements during the flight.

Is this a thing at the front of an aircraft or am I imagining things?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

Never experienced a noticeable increase in noise other than the ‘buzzsaw’ sound everyone sitting forward of the engine hears during the take off roll and climb.

The other sound unique to sitting at the front would be the autopilot disconnect alert from the cockpit during short final.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,057 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Leaky front door seal maybe?

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Perhaps, that aircraft was 17 years old

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Wouldnt make a difference if it was a door seal noise it could and does happen to aircraft of all ages, could be 2 years old and have that issue

• Registered Users Posts: 35,057 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

They had ways and means of dealing with that issue back in the day... very much doubt you'd be allowed do this these days!

I suggested to the pilots that it might be a good idea for one of them to go 'On Oxygen' whilst I took a look at the door. When I got into the door/galley area I asked the Stewardess if we could have some tea towels, she was very helpful and we soaked them in water. I fed them into the gap around the door and before very long we had run out of tea towels, flannels, the lot. The passengers had got all the blankets. What on earth could we use? Then the Lovely Lady Stewardess had a really bright idea. We always carried thousands of Tampax - box loads of the ruddy things. Some one in BOAC clearly decided that the human female needed these devices daily instead of monthly! So she filled the toilet washbasin with water, pulled the strings, dunked them in water and handed them over to me. I fed them into the gaps (one or two went straight out - A wet semi-frozen Tampax should keep a thirsty camel happy, thought I!) until eventually they all froze up in position and the door was sealed. A quick reduction of mass flow on a cabin blower showed nil rate of cabin climb - very satisfactory - felt reasonably pleased with myself.

As we taxied in - we were marshalled to a red carpet at the foot of door #1 Left. The Ceremonial Guard and Band leapt to attention. Chiefy flung the front door open and a couple of hundred semi frozen Tampax rolled out all over the place! Off went the African VIP. The station manager then arrived and demanded an explanation. Expressions like 'Diplomatic Incident' were flung around. We told them the story -After a bit every one saw the funny of things and we went off to the hotel and went off to bed."

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Advertisement
Advertisement