Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spain and Portugal are at their driest for 1,200 years

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Quite the little capitalist pig dog, aren't you, Thargor?

New Moon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Hypocrisy rules!!

Curious why green folks continue to use technology, knowing the impact it’s having on the environment?

Also scaremongering activists have the same carbon footprint as “deniers”. More likely to be economically stable.

Show me the person in this forum who feels they are greenest. Tell us how they keep their foot print so low. No doubt it will be a fractional decrease propped up by available wealth.

When climate activism doesn’t disproportionately impact those with the least, then I’ll support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,632 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I am not sly enough to do this, but I imagined doing it ... a number of quotes about the very hot and dry July of 1868, without that time attribution, followed by the question "what is so concerning about this?" followed by "are you crazy, we have to change this," followed by me revealing it was all about 1868.

But as I say, not that sly. No wonder I got blacklisted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

You talk about scientific illiteracy, well how illiterate were you in the climate science you now preach to so many about only 10 years ago when you were investing in BP and saying things like this in 2011

I like Oil and Gas because generally it can only go up and I have high risk appetite.

when I say oil and gas can only go up I mean that in general 10-20 years down the road definitely not every oil and gas company and most definitely not the little explorers which are nearly pure gambling,

and in 2012

There might be better dividend paying shares out there, Oil majors maybe, BP is still 20-30% down from deepwater Horizon and their profits are only going to increase, they recently increased thei dividend aswell. 

You brag about being today's Jordan Belfort, and good luck to you, but oil set you up back in the beginning, when you didn't know your arse from your elbow, did it not? Climate science was pretty much as it is today, yet you were willing to disregard it in favour of making a quick buck. I'd call that hyprocrisy any day of the week.

And you keep harping back to my great scientific faux-pas like a bully in a playground as if it's something major. I made a mistake plotting points on a graph and owned up to it. Get over it. Your constant point-scoring is only making you look like a twát. You talk of strawmen but conveniently ignore OldRio's compost pile of horsehít. Again that stinks of hyprocrisy.

Post edited by Gaoth Laidir on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,981 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Eh? Changing your entire outlook based on evidence and research and then putting your money where your mouth is (at the age of 22 by the way) is the exact opposite of hypocrisy, if the whole world followed my example particularly in relation to oil and gas subsidies and the lack of any penalty on the single use plastic manufacturers and other obscene waste it would lift us out of this mess, I try do my bit by switching to green investment and never running a car in my life preferring cycling and public transport to get around, Id give anything for the majority of the Western world to do the same. Sorry if you feel bullied btw I just hate the conspiracy theories and lies you get in this "Science" forum with you as the ringleader, hopefully a few more hours frisking my posting history will turn up something for you to return the favour and then you'll feel better.

Eh? Changing your entire outlook based on evidence and research and then putting your money where your mouth is (at the age of 22 I might add) is the exact opposite of hypocrisy

Eh? As I said, you need to pick a story and stick to it. In 2010 you said you were 25.

Im 25, I have 10k to invest right now...

That's when you invested in BP. Two years later you were still advising others to do likewise. So what's this change of outlook that you speak of?

For the record, I agree with a lot of the rest of what you said regarding switching to renewables, eliminate, replace or reuse instead of single-use, etc., but if sitting at home managing stocks and shares is what you do every day then it's easy to only use a bike, etc. instead of trying to commute to a nine-to-five, like the majority of folk.

I could, but I won't hold stocks and stuff against Thargor. Clearly he was young and enthusiastic. The whole idea of owning stocks and shares though is repulsive to me.

New Moon

A man's free to do what he likes with his money, but when he comes on here bullying people about their choices while until very recently it seems he was practicing the opposite to what he preached and calling others hypocrites, it's a bit rich.

That I get. Perhaps from here on in he'll have learnt to be a bit more respectful of people who disagree with his world view, and present his own arguments in a fair and presentable manner, instead of classing every little narrative he disagrees with as a 'conspiracy theory' or 'MAGA central' etc, because that does nothing but make him look like an automated, unthinking bot.

New Moon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 489 ✭✭Mr Bumble

You were also looking to buy a cheap second hand car at the time.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2057191884/secondhand-cars-in-bray-or-nearby

Apparently you didn't succeed though I wonder

I confronted you about this and the hypocrisy of you pondering whether an ecological disaster was an opportunity to make money while hectoring people in a most aggressive and pompous way about climate change.

Zero credibility

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,683 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Across social media you see the same thing - you have ones lecturing and commenting about how we must change our ways, yet you click into their profile and there's no shortage of photos from far flung places and status updates from T2 in Dublin Airport.

A funny bunch of lads and lassies until they get to wield their tax policies on the rest of the public - though these policies seem to avoid excessive taxation on flights and cruise ships.

Our oilithium shark seems to have gone awfully quiet all of a sudden.

Eh? As I said the world would be better off if everyone switched to battery and lithium investment like me a decade ago but most importantly choose cycling for their daily commute every day and never owned a car in their life, did your 12 year deep dive into my posting history over the weekend not include 10 years of posts about my cycle commute to work aswell?

Post edited by Thargor on

You were still recommending oil 10 years ago, and I'm still not sure if you know what age you were back then, but, as I said, credit where it's due. I agree with a lot of what you're doing now but you have to appreciate that cycling to work is out of the question for many.

I've started using Bird electric scooters here in Sardinia this year. Very cheap and easy way to get around the town in this heat but you need to have your wits about you when it comes to Italian drivers...

Oh you dont need to go back that far, in the Share Picks 2019 or 2020 thread in the investment forum when the price of a barrel of oil went negative in recent times I predicted it would be the easiest 50% return you'll ever make, didnt take it though. Anyway buying shares doesnt actually increase use of fossil fuels, its a completely intangible trade of a number on a server somewhere between a seller and a buyer, no more than owning a tobacco company in a portfolio increases the level of people smoking (anyone with a pension in this country probably owns both).

What point are you trying to make here anyway? Yes 12 years ago I didnt give a **** about AGW the same as most young people back then, but I educated myself and took steps to improve my behaviour as I got older and the evidence became more urgent and indisputable. Temperatures hitting 40 deg C in July in England would have seemed like science fiction back then, anyone making that prediction in this forum would have been called an alarmist and everything else by the likes of you, and then when it inevitably happens in a thread discussing the issue where the London Fire Brigade have their worst day since the Blitz because of the heat you can come out with another whopper in your years long history of gaslighting and lies about this issue, a conspiracy theory about how its actually the climate protestors setting the fires and if anyone questions you on it you'll go back 12 years in their posting history looking for any association with fossil fuels to prove some point in your head?

Not that at all. I said I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out that the same climate protesters who risked peoples' lives at Silverstone had a hand in the fires, but also acknowledged that the idea could also be ott and plain wrong. That's it. If it's wrong then that's fine, I'll acknowledge and move on, like I did with my graphing error. You don't agree with it and that's fine. You don't know how they started but you're 100% sure it wasn't arson. OK.

I know relatively little about the share market but I do know that buying shares in a company raises capital for that company and therefore funds its activities. But you're out of oil now and as I said, are putting your money where your mouth is. But maybe tone down the antagonism a little against people who aren't in the same position as yourself and accept that not everything that you don't agree with is a conspiracy theory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,543 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,749 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

i will start worrying if we see climate lockdowns . If not then the governments aren’t that concerned of an immediate danger

• Advertisement

Here are Italy and Europe's worst droughts in history. I believe 1893 holds the record, but the 1539-40 one seems to be worse than the current one, with the Po and other rivers and wells drying up completely.

https://www-panorama-it.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.panorama.it/amp/litalia-senza-acqua-le-piu-gravi-siccita-nella-storia-del-paese-2644785447?amp_gsa=1&amp_js_v=a9&usqp=mq331AQKKAFQArABIIACAw%3D%3D#amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&aoh=16599985208476&csi=1&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.panorama.it%2Fnews%2Flitalia-senza-acqua-le-piu-gravi-siccita-nella-storia-del-paese

1539-1540

Nell'era moderna, si hanno notizie di condizioni eccezionali di siccità dal novembre 1539 al successivo aprile del 1540. Le cronache del tempo indicano la mancanza assoluta di precipitazioni piovose e nevose. I fiumi del nord Italia seccarono, così come i pozzi. In Lombardia ed Emilia i danni ai raccolti fecero innescare l'impennata dei prezzi del grano, con conseguente effetto di carestia.

In the modern era there are records of exceptional drought from November 1539 to April 1540. Weather archives report a complete absence of rain and snow. The rivers of northern Italy dried up, as well as the wells. In Lombardy and Emilia, crop damage led to a surge in grain prices and subsequent famine.

L'eccezionale siccità iniziò nell'Europa orientale a meno di quindici anni dalla epidemia di peste che la avrebbe seguita. Si estese poi a occidente includendo l'Italia e perdurando dalla primavera fino alla fine dell'estate, con temperature medie molto elevate.

The exceptional drought started in eastern Europe less than 15 years before the outbreak of the Plague. It then extended westward to include Italy, lasting from spring right through to the end of the summer, with very high mean temperatures

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Went through the pictures, what bemused me was the dried river beds in some and nothing being done. Surely it is a great opportunity to clear the silt?

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Orion402

People are enchanted by the Guinness Book of Records and always an enjoyable excursion into the wettest/driest, fastest/slowest, hottest/coldest records, however, it makes a poor foundation for appreciating what is normal in Earth and solar system sciences. Most of the efforts of the modelling community is taken from individual events which may or may not be record breaking for a specific location including the areas at the centre of the topic of this thread-

I have no answer as to why readers don't find planetary climate to be enchanting from its foundations in planetary dynamics even if individual weather events are interesting and always will be whether droughts or floods, heat waves or cold snaps and any weather event that occur at different locations on the planet.

Post edited by Orion402 on

Advertisement