Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Positive test after 7 days isolation

• 04-07-2022 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭

Can’t see anything online that clarifies this…. What’s the story if you are still testing positive for Covid 7 days after isolation? Feeling fine /better.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,153 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

You are considered ok in that case to go out of isolation but wear a good mask and avoid vulnerable people for the next 3 days .

• Registered Users Posts: 22 ratatouille99

Sorry to hijack your thread, but is it still 7 days isolation?

I started feeling off Saturday eve and tested positive Sunday morning. Called in sick, sent pic of my antigen tests and my boss texted to see if I'd be in today? I'm baffled. I'm mostly better, just coughing a bit and drowsy but probably still contagious? I don't want to infect people so I said no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,153 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭phormium

What's the story these days with a positive test? I thought it was 7 days isolation, 3 days being careful then but friend has been told from HSE can't leave house until they get a negative antigen test, their 10 days is nearly up. I've googled and can't find that anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

You're correct, your friend and possibly the person in the HSE are incorrect. Isolate for 7 days, 3 days with a good mask. All on gov.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 Tea2

The govt advice is 7 days isolation + 3 days with a mask. If you’re still testing positive, the balance of evidence appears to be that you are likely to still be contagious. There’s no specific government advice that you should be isolating at that point, however, so you will need to use your own judgement about whether to continue isolating if positive after 7 days.

There’s some evidence that with omicron, about 15% of people still test positive after 10 days, so your situation is not unusual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,402 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

My father contracted Covid in hospital last month. I was informed by one of the interns that its possible to test positive up to 3 months post diagnosis (this is with a PCR, not Antigen test, don't know if that makes any difference) so after 10 days with no serious symptoms and a falling white cell count he was "de-escalated" and transferred to a district hospital where he is currently sharing a room, so I'm assuming he's not considered contagious.

I think the 7 days isolation, 3 days avoiding vulnerable people and good mask when back mixing should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Tea2

Agree, 7 days, then 3 days will almost always be fine. Unlike PCR tests, which can be positive long after an infection has cleared, Antigen tests detect live material in your nose now, so if you test positive on an antigen test, you definitely have Covid and the cautious consensus is that there's no reason you can't spread it.

If you feel fine after 10 days and don't have a spare test to check, you'll almost certainly be fine. If you do a test, however, and it shows positive, you should assume you are still contagious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,402 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Thanks for clarifying the difference between Antigen and PCR tests here. Very useful info.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭DLink

There is no legal requirement to isolate. The HSE "rules" are made out to be mandatory, but they're not as they have no legal backing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Beckett99

How long have people not completely recovered waited before going back to the work place? Still have symptoms at day 9.

I don't have a work from home option.

TIA

Post edited by Beckett99 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,055 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Ask your GP, not the interweb.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Aetherion

My dad tested positive for 9 days on the antigen, he wore a mask for a few days after testing negative, they say if you're testing positive in the home tests you're contagious. He wasn't too sick at all, mostly a fever for 2 or 3 days and a very mild cough, he still took two weeks off of work as he had no energy at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Apothic_Red

I tested positive for 8 days on the antigen. Isolated for 7 & wore a PPE mask for next 3 days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

Ah Jesus drive on and get over it for god sake. Covid is done.

Advertisement