Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What unkel got next

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,747 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I got a rudimentary V2H system working today with the Red Arrow powering my house directly from the high voltage battery through my PV inverter 😁

Didn't cost anything either, just used a few cables and connectors I had lying about. Only planning to use it on a cold winter's night, when my 20kWh home attached battery is empty and I particularly do not feel like paying the peak electricity rate. And I like to heat my home as much as possible with electricity rather than burn stuff.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Some man Unkel!

Has anyone ever called you Mad Max 🤣🤣🤣

I work mostly off the ideas and experience of others way above me in terms of knowledge and experience 😀

And a lot of YT watching 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭Redfox25

MacGyver, Mad Max, Water World, Robocop and a small bit of Short Circuit Johnny 5 🤣🤣🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭Redfox25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I saw him down in Kilcullen one day charging one of them…. Obviously did a double take when I first saw it pulling in to use the 150kW unit!!

Yep. That's the "Grey Goose", a BMW E46 estate

Damien Maguire has done both CHAdeMO and CCS charging on several of his cars. Bit of a breakthrough as up to a few years ago, almost all EV conversions had AC slow charging only.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,295 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I'm surprised it's even allowed, there's a real anti-fun attitude towards cars in Ireland, everything has to be a gutless, crappy diesel crossover or you're given grief for not getting public transport that doesn't exist.

This is great to see though. I don't have any real interest in BMW myself aside from liking the look of the 80/90s models. It's nice to see older cars kept on the roads, even cooler that it's an EV conversion. I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for this on the road!

• Advertisement

Well that's the first cold wintery night, I ran out of home battery, so now the Red Arrow is powering and heating my house 😀

It looks like tomorrow will be a very sunny day, so I will charge the car back up from the sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭dermotx

What was the name of the insurance company you used please? I'm thinking of doing a conversion but I'm not sure about the procedures for getting the insurance and NCT. I'm assuming the first thing I need to do is to get the conversion certified by a Suitably Qualified Individual (SQI) and then approach an insurance company and then to NCT?

I'm with FBD. Getting insurance on the car was no problem, even though the car had ran out of NCT and tax. I told them the car was certified as converted to electric and passed the NCT as such previously. I did undertake to get both sorted ASAP, I fixed all outstanding issues, car is fully ready for NCT, the first appointment I could get was next February. 3rd party only insurance €140, but I went for fully comp with tow away service (always a good option on a classic car) for €210. You have to have a normal car insured in your own name as well usually to get classic insurance.

There is a good article in the wiki on openinverter on how to get the car certified as electric

PHEV battery pack wanted. Ideally a BMW pack out of a 530e / 740e, but any PHEV pack considered. Must be reasonably priced. If you have one or know of one, please let me know! Capacity doesn't matter, even around 7-8kWh is fine. The car needs to stay true to its origin, so low budget is key here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Donie Comerford in Nenagh usually has a few battery packs for sale, might be worth a try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭zg3409

There is a talk on DIY Electric vehicles in Dublin soon and it mentions openinverter.org

It would be great if @unkel could bring his beemer. I think a DIY motorbike will be there on the day.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

@zg3409 - heard about the event a few days ago, might well come over and have a look. Meet some more like minded people! You be there yourself?

I made a temp battery for the Red Arrow, of 35 in series 32700 LiFePO4 cells about 6Ah, but that's just so I could move the car if needed. If fully charged I might just make it to the local shop and back, a round trip of just 1km, provided the voltage drop doesn't kill those cells first or leave me stranded otherwise 😂

I've made contact with a few car dismantlers here and in the North and hopefully an appropriate pack will show up soon. NCT is coming up end of next month.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Did you not watch Damien's latest video on finding cheap battery packs? 😜

I did. Did you not see my comment on the video? ;-)

I'm 50/50 if I can attend. I have a child's birthday party around that date. I am a member of TOG hackerspace and I have seen the motorbike coversion displayed at

Last year. I ran an EV event at TOG before back on DIY battery swap and EVs going back to year 2018

Latest project is 1982 VW golf fully leaded.

• Advertisement

So I did eventually manage to find a battery locally this week. From a 2019 G30 BMW 530e. Thanks to @paaaa for making the deal happen!

These packs have a bit over 9kWh spread over 6 blocks in series. Full pack fully charged is near 400V, which is too much for the poor old 48V fork lift motor from the 1970s, so I decided to split the battery up into a 3S2P configuration for a voltage of just under 200V. I am re-using all the original BMW high voltage cables and connectors and I only had to cut 2 of the cables. Crimped the 4 ends of them this evening and trial-fitted half of the battery in the boot and connected the system up. Car is driving!

Had already re-programmed the Brusa charger for the new voltage settings and got (half) the battery to charge for a few seconds just to check if it worked. Looking forward to getting the other half of the pack in this weekend, connect them in parallel and secure the packs. Then re-fit my DC high voltage to DC 12V solution for charging the 12V lead acid battery, which I have let run a bit too low over the last few months, to my shame. Then charge the car up and go for a spin!

Brilliant progress. And even more enjoyable that you can mess around and sort a lot of it yourself.

With the battery now, what kind of range could you expect?

Cheers @Gumbo! Range is not important to me, I'll only ever use the Red Arrow as a Dublin area car - it doesn't have fast charging either. I doubt I'll do much more than 1k km in it per year. But to answer your question, I guess about 50-80km.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Alkers

With the amount of stick the guys expanding leaf batteries get on here, how are you managing all that tinkering with insurance? Not having a go at all, just curious.

It's insured as a classic car, the insurance company is fully aware the car was converted from diesel to electric. They didn't ask any technical details about the conversion. Not about the motor, not about the battery. Not about charging. Not about the weight of the car. Nothing. Also this new battery has lower voltage and lower capacity than the old one. I doubt the insurance company is interested in that either though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,944 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I thought the main stick was the battery swap crowd saying you didn't need to tell the insurance about it

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

The other 3 battery blocks fitted today. 12V charging system somehow no longer seemed to work from high voltage DC, the €5 laptop charger wasn't giving any output. So I reverted back to the setup that Damien had - 12V is only charging (from AC) when the main high voltage battery is charging. Hopefully that will be good enough, but I might have to revisit this. Might need to change the lead acid 12V battery for a LiFePO4 (but that would mean no charging when it's cold). And / or come up with a higher amperage charging solution.

Car is charging now since 15kW o'clock. Will monitor over the next hour or two to make sure the Brusa charger is doing its job correctly and the voltage stays below the max 199V

Job for tomorrow: secure / tighten the battery blocks and the on board Brusa charger. And then go for a test drive!

Got the batteries securely fastened yesterday, car was mostly charged by the Brusa to 193V. Max is 199V, minimum is 135V. I intend to keep the pack roughly in the middle most of the time, a bit over, maybe at the 170-180V level

Took the car for a 10km test drive. It drove the same as before, but the voltage sag was far, far lower with this PHEV pack than it was with the Valence batteries, even though the total capacity is a bit less

If anyone wants to come see it and have a chat with me, I'm in Lucan. PM me! I also plan to bring the car to the TOG hackerspace meet on the 26th of February

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,240 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Exactly.

And thats for regular insurance. As a classic car motoring enthusiast as well as an EV owner, in my experience classic car insurers are a lot more tolerant of modifications. If it's extensive they may ask for engineers reports etc but a lot don't and instead just note down what you declare. The important part is that you declare it to the insurance company. And those fools at range therapy were advising customers not to declare. Which is quite frankly dangerous advice as the customer wouldnt find out unless they had to make a claim - which would be at risk of being declined.

Made it to the TOG Hackerspace meet on Sunday in the Red Arrow, was good to meet some of the guys, including our own @zg3409

Sadly, the Red Arrow failed the NCT yesterday. Long list of stuff and I'm not equipped to tackle it.

I've put up the charger and the BMW 530e battery pack for sale here:

Every cloud has a silver lining though. The car will be going back to its maker, Damien Maguire, in the next few weeks!

• Advertisement

On the way back to its Maker

Adios Red Arrow!

Selling my Fluence Z.E. now too, so looking for another classic, preferably electric (conversion)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,944 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

The Leaf's a classic now 😉

I saw an electric novelty train on Alibaba a while back, like the tourist trains you see around the place

You could get one, then start taking passengers into Dublin. Call it the Luas West Line 😁

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

There's a decent community of folks doing these conversions in Germany too. I think it's great that otherwise perfectly fine cars might get a new lease of life as local runabouts. @unkel was the original gearbox left in situ with your Red Arrow or was the motor directly coupled to the drive shafts? Many people seem to recommend just leaving the gearbox in the car but I am trying to imagine how this would work. I am guessing you would not have a clutch and the car would be left permanently in a particular gear. Fascinating topic really.

Yep your guesses are mostly right. The original manual gearbox was connected directly onto the driveshaft of the motor. You no longer use the clutch pedal but you can use all gears. But in practice, you just put it in 3rd gear and leave it there (and reverse if you want to reverse). For prolonged motorway driving, you could stick it in 5th

You can learn a lot of this stuff just by following the playlist on this car alone. Some hilarious stuff in there, but I won't spoil it 😁

Back home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,240 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I'm so glad I got to see that car briefly before you sold her on. I love the conversion. A repmobile e36 was perfect for an EV conversion, it's not like it's butchering a vintage jag or rolls or something.

And to add to that, this E36 was ready to be scrapped. So it's the ultimate form of re-use and recycle. Unfortunately that was its undoing for me too. The car is old and tired and had a hard life, the first 250k miles (400k km) as a diesel on rough roads. Hopefully Damien will do the necessary structural work and get it back on the road again

It was a privilege to have owned the car, and there's a bit of a sense of duty to keep it going. In the short time I've owned it, I've talked to many people about it, pretty much everyone that came to my door. Almost every single person asked "can I take a picture?" when I showed them the engine bay and told them the story of the Red Arrow 😁

I'll leave this here too, all the lads in the NCT centre coming over to have a look 😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,785 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Sounds like the car is about ready for the scrapper, but the knowledge and experience gained from the conversion would be priceless.

That photo at the NCT is hilarious.

Stay Free

Advertisement