Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New room, wiring for projector

• 05-07-2022 10:28am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have builders in doing a room for me, and the walls and roof are down, as there's some wiring going on.

I want to add a projector while I can. Is there anything specific I need to get the electrician to wire up, before the plaster boards go up? Is some plugs and HDMI cables enough, or is there anything else recommended? I imagine I can just add the bracket to hold the projector at any time afterwards?

I was planning on using the white wall as a screen, but in terms of options, I was going to ask the electrician to put another plug high up on the wall in case I want to mount a TV to this wall, and then separately get a pull down projector screen that will come down in front of the TV for big screen stuff like films. I have kids so will be doing movie nights etc. but a projector won't be ideal for every day use. This isn't the living room, its a spare play room.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Ting Ting

Hello, do you still need help or advice about the projector or screen, maybe I can help you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I just got 2 plugs on the ceiling beside 2 HDMI ports that run down the wall to the corner of the room where I'll be plugging in the inputs.

Dont think I'd need any other inputs. The only thing i didnt figure out was audio, and the projector wont have good speakers.

Any advice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Comer1

You should have a fibre optic HDMI cable running from where your source (receiver, UHD player, Sat receiver etc.) to the projector. This would be very future proof as these cables can support up to 8k video signal.

Your audio will want to be completely separate from your projector. You could have anything from a soundbar to a 5.1 system (6 speakers) to an Atmos setup. You should have run speaker cables behind the plasterboard for the surrounded/front speakers and an audio cable for a sub

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I reckon I'll have to go with a soundbar and speakers. Whatever source box i have will have to go into another box to separate the audio and video. The projector is only for video so no point sending audio cables up to it. If need be, I'll get a set of Bluetooth speakers and mount them either side of the screen, coz at this stage the walls are all up and plastered.

Fibre optic HDMI is a new one on me. If I'd known about them, i would have gotten a few. Actually i have 4 in total. 2 for the projector and 2 for a possible wall mounted TV. If i need 8K badly in the future, i can probably run soke fishing wire and pull them through but ye, pity i didnt know this last month!

I'm actually looking at projectors. I've never had one. I thought the biggest consideration was the bulb life, but it seems they're all LED bulbs these days! Going by the prices of them, I'll have to hold off and hopefully get a deal on black Friday!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭phobia2011

Black Friday is almost upon us, I’m on the lookout for a projector for the kids playroom

was looking at the Toptro brand on Amazon, anyone any experience with them? Or has anyone seen a good offer for the BF build up?

• Advertisement
Advertisement