Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Women's Euro 2022

• 05-07-2022 6:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭

The tournament kicks off tomorrow with hosts England taking on Austria. RTE and BBC will be showing the games.

Group A: England, Austria, Norway, Northern Ireland. Venues: Manchester (Old Trafford), Southampton, Brighton.

Group B: Germany, Denmark, Spain, Finland. Venues: Milton Keynes, Brentford.

Group C: Netherlands, Sweden, Switzerland, Portugal. Venues: Leigh, Sheffield (Bramall Lane).

Group D: France, Italy, Belgium, Iceland. Venues: Manchester (Academy Stadium), Rotherham.

Odds to win it:

Spain 5/2; England 4/1; Netherlands 5/1; France 5/1; Sweden 6/1; Germany 7/1; Norway 20/1; Denmark 33/1; Italy 40/1; Switzerland 50/1; Austria 60/1; Belgium 75/1; Iceland 75/1; Portugal 90/1; Finland 225/1; Northern Ireland 275/1.

I reckon England can do it. Home advantage, strong squad, haven't lost since April '21, and managed by Sarina Wiegman who won the last Euros with the Dutch.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,339 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

England should get a good run in this tournament. Fancy them to get to the final if not win it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭jacool

Could be a great tournament.

Best player for Spain has just pulled out injured, and Norway see there best player back after a few years in the wilderness.

England have a massive chance but they will struggle when up against any of the 5 teams ranked above them.

Looking at the odds there 6/1 Sweden is the value.

You would expect them to avoid any big challenge until the semi-final where they should play England. 1-0 Sweden and then they only have to beat the winner of France/Spain on the other side - easy !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,339 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Should be a comfortsable enough victory for the homie side. They will want to start with a Statement type victoryI think. White and Hemp to score with England coming off the bench to score too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,198 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

The ball on the little remote control car is such a surreal tradition to have crept in. it's quite funny lookin' but at the same time, if you want to have some little ceremonial moment like that I think i'd prefer if they gave that moment to a kid to run out, hand over the ball, and run back.

• Advertisement

Mead puts England in front. I didn't think all the ball crossed the line but the ref has given it.

Weird. They did a VAR check and then gave it. I'd like to see another replay.

Yeah, it was over. They just showed the graphics. Wish they showed that initially.

Just showed the goal, about an inch or two , but all the ball was definitely over the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,954 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Looked over to me. I think the ball doesn't come out off the bar at an angle like that without it being over the line

Better to keep it but give the control to a kid. Couple of 360's on the way back.

Put the kid in the car to drive it. Nothing could go wrong

White should have finished that. The play deserved a goal

• Advertisement

Half-time. Zinsberger kept Austria in it a minute ago. Can't see Austria coming back if England get a second.

Expect England to bang in a few second half, normally finish quite strong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,171 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Haven't watched very much women's football. Standard isn't great but it is entertaining all the same. Great to see it so well supported though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,211 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Great to see rte cover random countries live in women's euros, but no coverage of their men's teams as they compete in European competition. Bar one of course.

Rant over.

No problem with them covering the women's euros BTW.

Nice video package there on BBC with the McGuinness sisters from West Belfast. Wonder will they be involved tomorrow.

Full-time and it ends 1-0.

Post edited by Mr.Nice Guy on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,373 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Watched some of the England versus Austria match (1-0). England were solid if not massively exciting, Austria tried to frustrate them and did in large parts but a win is a win I suppose. Looks like a kind group, Norway will give them a game.

Great to see the huge crowds, lots of kids and young girls.

Shame they weren't a bit more ambitious with stadiums they are using, only one match in old Trafford some very small capacity ones for others.

England were poor. Good control at the back and Walsh player of the match for me, but from there they were not strong enough. The front 3 flattered but didn't really threaten. If anything Austria had 2 more clearcut chances at the death. England will beat Northern Ireland but Norway will give them a game.

Team news:

Bookies not giving NI much chance: 35/1 on them winning. Norway's Hegerberg considered one of the best in the women's game, so interested to see how she does.

I expect Hegerberg to do some damage. N. Irl's first time at this level and I reckon it is going to show.

Every single one of the women belting out God Save The Queen.

• Advertisement

Bloody love watching Hegerberg. She reminds me of Shearer.

Norway take the lead. NI opened up there.

2-0. Starting to see now why they were 35/1.

Blatant penalty, no idea why she took so long. 3-0

Yeah that was a stonewall pen.

Magee is not one to be pushed around too easily

Result as expected, bar Northern Ireland grabbing a first tournament goal.

Norway looked so much better than England, and yet, they allowed Northern Ireland create a few chances. I'd say the player of the match was the keeper, as she made a bucket load of saves. There were 11 shots on target for Norway. Norway had 11 good players and a bench whereas Northern Ireland had four standouts (Burns, Magee, Vance and Wade) and 2 subs, one their injured captain.

The next round will be interesting as Norway face England to see who tops the group, while the other game is to decide who doesn't finish bottom. I think Norway could have scored more but they spent so much of the game trying to get Hegerberg on the scoresheet. The one time she scored was from a great move, but the player who crossed the ball to her was marginally offside.

There are two good games tonight, and all the Brentford fans who have adopted Denmark, on the back of Eriksen playing for them (until now anyway) can cheer them on against Germany in a game that is too close to call, at their stadium. Spain, despite missing Putellas, should have enough to beat Finland, The Finns are rated lower than the Republic of Ireland and they will be trying to get to half-time at 0-0, before tiring under the relentless Spanish side. They have 8 Barcelona players as well as Real Madrid and Man City. The floodgates could open late on in this one.

Finland have taken the lead against Spain inside the first minute!

They have only woken the beast I'd say. Expecting a 4-1 or 5-1 type scoreline.

Unbelievable corner deliveries from Spain

• Advertisement

9 in 25 minutes and the pressure eventually bears fruit 1-1

Not a fan of zonal marking at corners

An absolute Peach of a header - class goal.

Fantastic header

Super finish from the penalty at the death, 4-1

Germany should win this but they certainly won't have it all their own way.

• Advertisement

How the bejesus have the Germans not gone ahead yet!? Hit the goalframe 3 times, and had 2 bad follow up misses as well. Feels like only a matter of time.

<edit> there it is... really emphatic finish too.

Spain and Germany were impressive.

Really enjoyed this header. Great cross and connection.

Quality of the Sweden vs Netherlands game is 👌🏻

Enjoyed that game.

Should be two crackers today.

I am expecting Austria to beat Northern Ireland, as these teams meet for the third time in 8 months.

The North will be tighter at the back, but I am expecting Austria to dominate possession and win, wither 2-1 or 3-1.

Later on we see one of the best 3 teams so far (IMO!) Norway take on the hosts, in what could be a goal fest. Both teams will come out of this group so they could have a bit of fun tonight. Maybe Norway to sneak it 3-2. As Germany are the team I thought were most convincing, the losers here could end up facing them, so I really hope it doesn't turn into a "take no risks" contest.

Sweden, btw, are the third most convincing team I've seen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭deisedude

What about Frances chances of winning it? They dismantled Italy yesterday

France played the best attacking football of the tournament in that first half. 5 goals and it could have been more.

England are a very capable teram, White needs a goal or two and they could ignite.

I like Norway too, should give England a fine game.

Sweeden of course are a very good team but the Germans look very ominous in their play and will be there or there abouts.

That's never a pen. Come on.

Joke of a pen, cracking finish though.

That is surely onside.

VAR intervention on this one correct but definitely should have overturned the pen.

Right decision. 2 nil and there should be another few goals.

That's bad from the lines person!

The penalty decision was very generous

Hemp and Meade are ripping Norway apart.

Painful watching that replay. Surprised Daly can continue.

3-0. Game over already. A gift.

• Advertisement
Advertisement