Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ewes coming in heat

• 05-07-2022 8:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭

I have few p/b ewes lambed January they have been running with commercial ewes and lambs .how likely would it be that they have already come into heat and got tipped by ram lambs this early in the year

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

I'm far from an expert but would say highly unlikely..I'm sure some other lads on here would be able to give better answers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Depends on the breed but most are seasonal breeders which come into heat as days shorten.

Nature's idea being that by the time they lamb spring will be here and feed more plentiful.

Some breeds such as Dorsets are year round breeders and you'll always get the exception to the above rule too but it's unlikely they've already come into heat and been served.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭148multi

Advertisement