Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dutch police fire at protesting farmers

Comments

this is definitely one to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭dalyboy

The communist agenda oh edit …. The “Climate” agenda is starting to show it’s true colours now. I wonder what the well funded troll in chief Greta has to say about police shooting at farmers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭bb12

apparently the dutch police are saying the farmer was trying to run over them in his tractor...looks to me he was trying to get as far away from them as possible

funny how this whole story has been completely ignored by european and irish media. i've also heard that the belgium and german farmers are now going to join in protesting in solidarity.

more videos of police waving their guns around

if the dutch gov get away with this policy, it will spread to all eu countries and all eu farmers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭323

Aye, seems their government wants to slaughter 30% of their livestock To Meet Climate Goals. Though these greenies were all into their animal rights, apparently not.

Just a matter of time before the rest of the EU push the same agenda.

See their farmers have blocked an airport too, Long time since there but think its Groningen. Nothing in the media here & Twitter took it down.

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,211 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

We are all in the firing line.

• Advertisement

Imagine if that farmer was a black American.

What do the Dutch government think will happen if they get rid of 30% of the cattle? What's the metric of success here and what do they hope to achieve.

Because that 30% gap will have to be filled by someone somewhere.

well the way i see it right now, is that like the canadian trucker protests were a preview of what governments are capable of on the other side of the pond (villlfy peaceful protestors, throw them in jail without due recourse, confiscate donated money and block access to and freeze bank accounts on a whim), this dutch protest is a preview of what is capable of happening throughout the EU.

Farmers need to take serious note!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭dalyboy

They ultimately want us eeking an existence eating insects and seeds. All this while we freeze to death with energy bills in the stratosphere. Anyone who supports these climate psychopathic nut jobs will be to blame

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

But you won't be seeing any of it on RTE News as it doesn't suit their green agenda 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭bigroad

It's time to exit Europe.

As hard as it might seem it will be a lot better outcome than what's in the future for all of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭farmertipp

the Irish are as bad so if we left we would still get the same treatment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭monseiur

Don't tell the Greens this but the 30% and much more to come will be filled by the cattle ranchers of Brazil etc. The Amazonian rain forest, said to be the lungs of our planet, is being slashed & burned and turned into arable land to procuce more and more beef to satisfy the world's insatiable appetite for beef products. The Greens are a terminal cancer in our midst, they are slowly but surely strangling Europe's farmers to the determinant of the wrold's climate while the major polluters like China, USA, Russia etc. laugh at us and increase their production. If it wasn't so serious it would be comical. Nobody (in authority) shouted STOP

well surprise surprise (or not)...turns out that the minister of nature and nitrogen in the netherlands who is responsible for pushing this latest policy has a brother who owns Picnic, huge supermarket in netherlands, into which company Bill Gates has just invested 600 million

looks like Bill is extending his land expansionist acquisitions outside of north dakota and elsewhere in the states and looking to europe now...

how long before he sets his sights on irish farmland?

I am so shocked by what is happening in the netherlands right now. the benign netherlands!! I truly believe it's just a matter of time before this arrives at our own doorstepts. All farmers of the EU should be standing up and uniting together against this land grab right now

from an independent US journalist on the ground in the netherlands

Bonfires of Netherlands — Police shoot at, arrest Farm Boy — sparking more unrest

07 July 2022

Netherlands

Mind dump, sans edit

Yesterday, I went to the police station where they held the 16 year-old farm boy. The farm boy police shot at while he was driving the tractor. I saw a long video last night. Totally wrongful shooting. Police did miss the boy but hit the doorframe of his tractor. The boy represented no threat.

And so yesterday farmers besieged the police station demanding release. A journalist there told me police told the farmers if they disperse they would release the prisoner. The farmers dispersed and hours later police released the boy they almost shot.

We found numerous dispersed groups of farmers. Apparently there were groups lighting bonfires around Netherlands. We found two bonfires.

Most of the farmers were teenagers or young twenties. It literally reminded me of our high school parties in Florida with 4x4s, only this time Dutch boys and girls came in tractors. They had beer but were peaceful — though did break out the fireworks.

The young farmers were extremely happy that ‘foreign press’ came and saddened that Dutch press is portraying them as enemies and criminals. Dutch farmers plead for international help. I hardly have the heart to tell them this is war and there are no reinforcements. They are the first and last line of defense. This time, there will be no Market Garden. Likely there will be another Hongerwinter. Right here. In a breadbasket of the world. The young farmers kept trying to shove beers in my hand and I kept saying you got no **** time for beer, and a couple you look too young to be drinking. A

They are plenty old enough to realize their land, farms, and futures are being stolen by global psychopaths.

I was just told this morning — have not confirmed: “Distribution center bleiswijk last night 19 arrested, incl. 9 juveniles....Apparently what we witnessed was a natl action.... there were manure fires burning across highways all over Holland.” Same source, “On same msm news with straight face anchor announced 11% year-on-year food price inflation due to increased energy costs.”

In fairness what land Bill Gates owns is so small in terms of food production that it is irrelevant. He owns a lot of land.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,782 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

He owns 270,000 acres. Buying it for sport.

Latest purchase of 2,000 acres in North Dakota had to go before government to see if it was approved, such is his rate of buying and scale now. They approved the sale.

Such as the age of Internet and how Bill made his money. It's about control.

More control you enforce. For those not in the loop and benefiting from it and if they outnumber those in the loop then it manifests in rebellion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,978 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I hope the Dutch Government succeed. Less mass produced beef and milk to contend with.

Totally different system there. Ultra intensive systems. Not sustainable.

It's a lesson for those pushing the intensive agenda's in Ireland

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Is the problem over there the massive debt farms carry ,they can not carry on if they reduce stocking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,107 ✭✭✭amacca

I think the problem is in order to meet the targets the smaller farmers will be driven out of business.....hadnt realised until recently they produce so much food for such a small country , it must be very intensive production with massive inputs and the inputs are going to be restricted . Afaik Govt has openly admitted farmers will be driven out of business and that's the way it is....................................The larger farms may be able to bear the costs.

I get your point but to some level they are coming for all farmers across Europe.

I think some people forget about the intensity level.of some intensive farming. We see this in California and Texas where intensive farming is putting pressure on water tables. In Holland it just there pure sticking rates.

Slava Ukrainii

Afaik it's ammonia is the stick they're being bet with.

Ammonia being the gas form of nitrogen. They're claiming it's to protect the nature reserves. And that too much nitrogen is being blown on the wind into the reserves. Doesn't matter if you've an organic livestock farm in Holland reductions in stock are being looked for.

It's smokescreen stuff imo to get their way against livestock.

It's a lesson for Ireland about land getting classified and restrictions in surrounding regions then following on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,272 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Leave the EU and then Irish farmers would be fighting it out with New Zealand and Brazil etc. You're just switching one set of conditions and rules of the game to another game.

Comparison with Ireland is far fetched. The Dutch have 10 million pigs, 100 million poultry, 3.4 million bovines and 1.4 million sheep and goats.

This in an area less than 1.5 times the size of Munster. A lot of that is on land reclaimed from the sea. It also has a population of 17.5 million.

In 2000 only 10% of dairy herds were housed full-time. Now it's 30%. Yes it's amonia they are bet with as you point out. However it's the shear amount of it. There stocking rates are horrendous, but along with that virtually every farmer is stocked that way.

Everything is virtually feedlot based and producing slurry that needs to be spread.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭ginger22

It is obvious from the figures you give it is the 17.5 million population is the problem. There are only 3.4 million bovines.

To add to it further the researchers at the nature reserves claim the majority of ammonia wafts over from Germany.

This is going to spread Bass.

You can even see how ammonia emissions have been talked about in the North and border counties of Ireland.

It's definitely a stick and it's the one they'll use on livestock.

Ammonia is nothing when the air we breathe is 78% nitrogen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭laoisgem

If your depending on any type of payment from DAFM then that would be a big mistake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Dismissing the ammonia issue does your argument no good - its a gas that has been proven to damage human lungs and many types of sensitive organisms that are vital to woodland and wetland health. Comparing it to inert N2 in the air is like comparing Hydrogen Sulphide to water🙄 since both have a H element. Standing over the carry on in NI in terms of illegal importation of chicken litter that adds to our own ground water etc. pollution issues here doesn't help either. I would also add that NI now has the highest intensive livestock density in the UK with recently only one out of 50 lakes sampled there by the environment agency being found to be in "good condition"

Travel that on further. Ammonia is also from nitrogen fertiliser spread. Older petrol engines and newer light and heavy diesel engines.

My guess is the livestock will be tackled first. Nitrogen fertiliser next. Vehicles never.

Aviation has to have ammonia emissions with kerosene used. Not reported though.

Not withstanding the greatest demand for ammonia from Europe's fertiliser plants in the future probably will be from the aviation sector to meet climate targets.

As another thread on the farmer protests on boards the conclusion is Europe is selling out it's farmers for South American produce in unlimited conditions and reform here to meet paper targets. Unfortunately those who make the rules is it's pushing production and control of food to elsewhere.

That a moot point given how much Dutch intensive livestock units depend on feed sourced from the likes of Brazil.

Yes Aviation is one of the climate change issues that needs attention. There is a slow realisation coming that this is being ignored.

The problem in Holland is the shear amount of organic and chemical amonia spread. Remember no matter the system of spreading at best only 20% of organic amonia is retained the rest goes up in the air.

Virtually every farmer in Holland is stocked at the equivalent of 250 kgsN. At the same time as the number of Dairy herds in Holland that housed full-time increased to 30%, restricted grazing increased from 50% to nearly 80%. Unrestricted grazing decreased from 50-20%.

That is some change in Agriculture practice in 20 years. As well you have to remember that in general Dutch cows will be ultra high yielding. Most will be 1.5-1.7 times the output of an Irish dairy cow. That has to be factored in as well.

You really have to blame the Dutch government for letting it get completely out of control. Probably every bit of Dutch ground with the exception of organic is spread to the maximum with slurry

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,165 ✭✭✭893bet

Climate change requires global solutions for local problems.

Unfortunately what we are getting is local solutions to global problems.

With new real change from big polluters like India or China then the global trajectory will not be altered and everything we do is pointless and is just going to cost extra money and be used as a political football.

With the currently energy crisis you would think the importance of self sustainablity in terms of food and energy would be realised.

But food comes from Tesco.

• Advertisement

I would think the majority of farms in Ireland rely on payments from DAFM. Without them, as they currently operate they are unviable.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭asdfg87

I expect therem was another broken during the protest for police to be shooting at protesters.

If meat production is reduced what will people eat.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

It will be interesting to see how the Dutch farmers get on.if they succeed it will slow policey changes in that direction at European level and if they don't will it finally make farm unions see that protest marches achieve nothing and we ll see an avanlache of environmental regs heading our way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Read above. It will be made up somewhere else in the world. A lot of hand waving and please think of the children crap has lead to all this shite.

If you want to save the planet it has to be a global initiative. Not penalizing certain populations of the planet while the rest carry on regardless.

have people and policy makers learned nothing from the lessons of the pandemic. relying on global supply chains put countries at real risk. populations should be demanding a return to more localised econmonies and manufacturing etc to be brought home again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Even less I'd say. Follow a fellow farming in Nebraska and he is stocked at Cow and calf for every 15 acres.

interesting that there are now plans to build the US' biggest beef rendering plant in south dakota starting next year. the whole plant will be run by AI and robots with plans to slaughter 8000 cattle a day

Holland already has a massive Horticulture industry - the farming sector there would probably be better off focusing furture development on that rather then flogging the dead and increasingly unsustainable horse of intensive livestock production which is also losing money hand over fist like the intensive pig industry here

Farming orgs here should be putting clear blue water between the Dutch livestock industry and extensive beef production here - Teagasc pushing of the Kiwi Dirty Dairy model here has done the rep of that industry no good on that front

How will that go for them with gas prices.

Horticulture, across western Europe, is still suffering from the refusal of society to reward the production of food.

The alternative to the all year grazing model of New Zealand is the indoor maize and imported meal model of Holland.

The system that's chosen by the farmer is usually to suit the farmer and farm and by climate conditions.

Systems even vary from Cork to Tyrone on this island. The same as North and south island new Zealand.

We had posters with cows out grazing here in January. Saving carbon everyway in grazing forage in situ instead of burning diesel hauling forage and out manure. And other posters claiming it not possible because they spent time with award winning farmers in kildare who never managed such a thing till April.

Don't forget labour prices too as they're competing with produce from outside the EU and lower labour wage.

Plus the largest horticultural export of Holland are flowers in those glasshouses. Flowers that you can neither eat nor keep yourself warm with. Gas is being burnt for colours in your eyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

I'm lost. Isn't nitrogen a gas? Around 78% the air we breath?

• Advertisement
Advertisement