Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Sportswashing" in Football - 2022

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Sport washing is to change reputations that are bad. Such as Qatar trying to get the world Cup to change the reputation of their country. Instead it has brought focus to the slavery there. For every man City fan you have to defend Saudi you have fans of 19 other clubs to denounce them.

Russian influence in the tory Party is due to the massive amounts of money they give the tory party.

Just because someone doesnt agree with you doesn't mean they don't understand it.

Why do Americans keep buying sports clubs as well? Is that also sports washing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

It's not though - I've already outlined all the different reasons sportswashing takes place. Surface level reputational laundering is part of it, but not even the biggest part, as detailed in my post above. It's just as much about obfuscation, soft political power, and growing international influence. It's not a mystery anymore, we've seen it in action for decades at this stage, we've seen its successes, and we can see exactly why they're doing it right now on a scale that is larger than ever before, at huge expense.

Every American to buy a club so far has done so as a financial investment to make a financial return (with their nationalities or individual characters having nothing to do with it). So no, that is not sportswashing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

While it's obviously nowhere near the same level of involvement/influence of the likes of the World Cup in Qatar and States owning clubs, what are peoples thoughts on the these friendlies in sportswashing Nations that are branded as tournaments? For example yesterday you had Arsenal and Lyon playing one another in the "Dubai Super Cup". I can't see any other reason for Nations hosting these tournament then using clubs to once again enable their sportswashing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I see Brighton are away to Newcastle in February in a 1230 kick off,

Its almost a 7 hour drive , some crack for away fans to attend the game,

Footballs for the fans my hole

Advertisement