Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trail Cam Recommendations

Options
  • 06-07-2022 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

I'm looking to get a trail cam. It will be on private land so I don't think there is much of a risk of it getting stolen but you never know who would be around.

Budget is up to €200. I don't think I need one that can take a sim card but if its only €30/40 extra I might go for it.

Species I'm looking to photo/video. Fox, badgers, pine martin and deer.

I've read up on all the different features and the one I'm not sure about is the no-glow/low-glow one. I don't think the limited range of the no-glow will be an issue as all the spots I have in mind, 20m range would be enough. Is it worth getting a no-glow.

Most of the spots would be in forests or have tree cover if that makes any difference.

Any recommendations.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭gzoladz

If you are looking for quality footage, I like the Brownings range. Just to see what is out there, the cheapest one on Amazon should do.

For photography, neither is great, you would have to go the cam trapping route, which is a lot of fun

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

the glow (infrared light) does spook some animals, some just freeze and stare at it and then ignore it - its not an issue for me

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭johnjohn3423

OP here, I am finally getting back to this and the choice is between the Browning Spec Ops Elite HP5 and Browning recon force elite hp5. Essentially the choice between a low glow or no glow.

Will a low glow only be noticed if you were looking more or less directly at the camera when its triggered at night? Could a person walk by it at night and not notice it had triggered.

I am not concerned if the glow will be noticed by wildlife only people.

Advertisement