Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which petrol Strimmer under 300 euro?

Options
  • 06-07-2022 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭

I need to buy a new strimmer/brushcutter and my local options are 4 brands that I've barely heard of.

Alpina, Gardencare, Protool & Proplus.

They are all in the same price bracket, all between 33-43cc and as I can't justify spending another couple of hundred on a Honda/Husqvarna/etc. I'd like some opinions on the above 4 brands. Are they decent/crap/other. They're all 2-stroke with bullhorn/bicycle handles which I do want. I have a lot of heavy grass/thistles and briars to clear and so a decent ability to run a 25-30cm mulch blade is fairly important.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

There aren't really that many different branded strimmers that come out of china. One 43cc one will be much the same as the next. The problem is with servicing if you aren't handy yourself and there is always a small chance you might get a duff one as quality control is poor. One I had needed about €20 ins spare parts to get it to work properly from new but I was unlucky, its now perfect.

I'd take a chance on this one https://www.screwfix.ie/p/titan-ttl530gbc-43cc-straight-shaft-petrol-brushcutter/61145 screwfix are always quite good if there are problems.

Mixed grass, thistles with small brambles use Oregon Techni 280 strimmer line https://www.amazon.co.uk/Oregon-Techni-545821-Resistant-Trimmer/dp/B006E1D20O/ as it out performs anything else when you start hitting brambles. The for areas that are mostly brambles use an Oregon Mulching Brushcutter blade https://www.amazon.co.uk/295504-0-Universal-Mulching-Brushcutter-Husqvarna/dp/B00RZH0V4G/ which I know works well on that size of strimmer. If you need a half decent strimmer head (you'll probably wear out the one you get with the machine) then this is the one I like https://www.amazon.co.uk/Oregon-559059-Universal-Professional-Trimmer/dp/B00L476FA2/ .

With that head and the Techni 280 line I cut fresh bramble growth with no problems and don't think I've had a single line break in the last 2 years since I've been using them.

On your request for info on brands, meh, there isn't much difference and to be honest I'd prefer a makey up name brand chinese one at a decent discount over a near identical brand name one where you are paying more. Unless we are talking about the better brands like Sthil and Husky.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭MakersMark

I was a die hard petrol fan until I bought a 56v EGO hedge trimmer.

I'd seriously consider one if I were you...they make strimmers and chainsaws.

My hedge trimmer runs 2 hours and charges in 1.

As good as my father in laws petrol husky, which I admit is very good.

Quiet too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

I've just bought a fairly decent dewalt XR strimmer, its not a patch on either of the petrol ones I have. The thistles would laugh at it.

Wake me up when it's all over.

I'm a HUGE FAN of Ole Mac gear, good quality stuff.....never had any issues.

I'd look at the ole mac BCH 250S, it comes in around €270.....now, it's only 25.4CC but I find mine grand for a good sized garden with a LOT of kerning. I find it a nice weight too...around 7KG & she's a total miser on petrol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

I got one from Aldi which my wife picked up for 150 quid I think, it’s a great machine but I did want to go battery for ease of use

if I was buying now I would probably go worx as you can swap the battery between devices

• Advertisement
Advertisement