Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Certing

Options
  • 06-07-2022 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Just throwing this out there if any other recs have any thoughts on it. Eg if you install new Rising mains, upgrade all the Earthing etc on an existing installation that could be 20/30 year old , you are required to test the existing installation and note same in comments box and fill in the lighting sockets and fixed appl quantities in their respective box's on the Cert1 for connection. So you now are taking full responsibility for the existing installation even though you havnt added anything to the existing installation so you are effectively certifying work that has been carried out by someone else, no? But in the safe electric rules for registration it states that a rec may not certify electrical installations not constructed by himself/herself

Interested what are thoughts on this or am I missing something

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭JL spark

I was on to my inspector about this , changing a board in a house , you have to test the full house ,

your changing the earthing system ,

mains upgrade, I’d be changing the board too , so either way ,

plenty of lads at it and not doing it right ,

a lot of these places are only fit for rewire ,

• Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

You are certifying the work you carried out and the fact that you carried out the required testing steps and that you got an acceptable result. You aren’t certifying the installation as a as whole (IMO).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

You couldn't certify new work you didn't do yourself , that was the rule when I was a rec

I was always handing out certs for existing work

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Max88

But safe electric say you are certifying the complete installation because you are the last person to make major changes at the board. But someone could come in after you have tested, do an extension and not cert it, 5 years later something happens in the extension due to faulty electrical work but who's name is on the cert, yours truly also a lot of ev company's will only do the nice work and install the charger but won't do the upgrade if required so even if they do a cert 3 for that installation do you reckon they are also doing the testing on the existing installation and putting all of those results in the comments box as requested. So you are possibly more or less certifying their work aswell if your back in to connect the new riser when esbn have upgraded as you are the last person working on the board. Seems a bit of a minefield!

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭JL spark

That’s what the test record sheet is for , what you test , you put to paper ,

• Advertisement
Advertisement