Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange New Worlds 1x10 - 'A Quality of Mercy' ~~ { ** Spoilers Within ** }

• 07-07-2022 5:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭

Strange New Worlds 1x10 - 'A Quality of Mercy' ~~ { ** Spoilers Within ** } Warning: This thread will contain spoilers 

Oh I can't wait. Can they stick the landing? If so I think we have all round one of the best first seasons of any Star Trek show to date!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,244 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Oh I love the start of it already

Someone who actually understands the Star Trek Universe that they are in. I love the ordination on both the ships to and this is something Star Trek always got a lot of stick for about how come they are always the same way its space after all there is no top or bottom or up or down.

So very good start.

Oh now this is getting very interesting and it's only just starting to come on now.

Finally got to see it all. It was not perfect. There was a few bits that annoyed me like warp 9. Como on its thec23rd century it should have been warp 7 at the most unless they are using the old warp scale also I thought the phasers were crap. They were like the silly ones out of the JJ Films and Romulan fleet was not great, also I did not like the warp jump effects for them either.

Otherwise it was not bad even it did all just happen in a few moments in real time but it was interesting to see what would happen had Pike been in charge of the Enterprise instead of Kirk during that time and episode. I think we could be on for a cliffhanger.

Yes I was right about a cliffhanger just not how I thought it might be. I hope he gets her back.

Post edited by AMKC on

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Well there's a lot to parse through in that episode to say the least! Personally I think they stuck not only the landing, but the whole season. Based on the trailer for this episode I had a pretty good idea of where they were going, but I really did not foresee the method they were going to use! Don't get me wrong, there were a few issues I had, but that episode was fantastic. the WoK uniform was perfect, updated to be in line with the newer uniforms, but only subtly. I believe they also spread a few TOS updated audio cues throughout, but I'm not 100% on that.

I do like a good timey wimey episode, and I think that was up there with the best of them. Demonstrated a nice moral conundrum, using Balance of Terror as the point where everything goes to hell could have been a very poor choice, but I think they did well treading a fine line between saying that Pike was not the right captain for that particular job, while never making us question Pikes competence or abilities. It showed an interesting difference between Pike and Kirk’s command styles, and made a good argument as to why it was important that Kirk was in command for that mission without making Pike seem like a poorer commander.

That makeup on Spock was pretty impressive. I know it’s a time travel episode, so the stakes are somewhat lower (though obviously not for Pike or the cadets), but I did feel the tension. I thought it was an interesting way to resolve Pikes own worries about his future and draw a bit of a line under it. 

We also get a solid date for when Pikes accident happens. Throughout the season I could swear that it was mentioned several times to be about ten years away, but future Pike clearly puts it at seven.

Have to say, Anson Mount has been stellar, throughout the entire season. Fantastic range and the subtle little parts of his performance really pull you in. The quick check of his rank insignia when he first went forward was perfect, really added to the sense of confusion.

Few gripes though, I don’t think that shuttles of this era had warp, in fact I’m certain they didn’t, and I didn't buy into the actor playing Kirk. I'm not sure if that's because his performance lacked Shatners...eccentricities...or simply because he has a better hair line! Not bad, but was a bit off for me. Also, while the fleets had a great variation in terms of ships (that mistake in Picard is one they'll probably never make again), I still felt that the fleets were far too big. A half dozen ships would have been more effective in my opinion, and been more realistic. I'm also in two minds about the Scotty audio. But none of this took me out of the episode that much, all minor stuff, especially in the face of a great script.

And what a great ending, really sets up season 2. To be honest I wasn’t expecting it, obviously Una was going to get found out, we knew that, but my rough maths in my head thought it would be in the next season, rather than in the same episode. 

Roll on season 2! Haven't been this excited about Star Trek in a very, very long time! Looking forward to watching this again later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Doodah7

That was absolutely fantastic. What a brilliant episode. Weaving the narrative in and out of Balance of Terror (echoing the Romulan Commander's line that they could have been friends etc.) was just superb.

Ten episodes of Star Trek done correctly from actors, writers and producers who obviously cared sufficiently about the subject matter to make sure that not just the big things were done right, but all of the little things too.

My only teeny tiny gripe was that as, Mr. Scott, was not seen and only one line was delivered, they could have used James Doohan's voice instead of someone poorly impersonating a Scotsman.

Strange New Worlds immediately goes Top 3 of all-time Star Trek shows. It also puts into stark relief how utterly, utterly appalling the Discovery and Picard shows actually are.

As for the end of the series, the crew now has no Chief Engineer, Number One or Security Officer. Starfleet HR will need to be busy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,600 ✭✭✭corkie

Very good final episode. For anyone who needs a reminder for what Happened in TOS (Prime) Timeline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭liamtech

i dont know what to say - that was bloody FANTASTIC - Im in awe, they saved the best til last - i mean COME ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FANTASTIC end to a FANTASTIC SEASON!!!!!

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Advertisement

TBH i actually sped through some of the episode again - talk about rewatchability - epic

I think that may be the best episode of Trek i have seen in 20+ years

• Canon fits perfectly, i cannot see any reason for complaint
    • Yesterdays Enterprise style WHAT IF story - beautiful -
    • the actor for Kirk impressed me - i know a few people have had doubts and i get it - its an iconic role, and needs to be handled respectfully - but i think the actor captured Kirk/Shatner from the original series - and is a LEAGUE above Pine in JJ Trek
    • @ilovesmybrick you make PERFECT sense in how you describe the interaction of command styles - Kirk and Pike - different but both fantastic captains - i know you are not sold on the Actor, but i am at ease, if he crops up again, il be content. I recently ran through some old TOS eps (incl balance of terror - the dialogue in this episode fitted perfectly with that outing too btw) - but yea, having recently done some TOS, i can say the new actor done a good job IMHO - like i said - No Shatner, but equally, no Pine (for which i thank the universe)
    • This for me is the season high - almost makes me wanna calibrate my grading so it doesnt push any of the other episodes down
    • IF I MUST COMPLAIN ABOUT ONE THING - the cliffhanger - unnecessary - not a canon issue, or a problem with the inevitable story of Number Ones legal issues, But no need for it in this episode, which for me as perfect without it- IMHO

@liamtech Yeah, to be fair I'm not sure if it's the actors fault, and he seemed a decent actor. But as soon as I heard that the Farragut was there I knew they'd introduce James Kirk and was probably being a bit hyper-critical. He's back next season so it'll be interesting to see how they develop him further, unless it's just a few episodes where he drops in to say hello!

I'm the opposite with the cliffhanger though. They've hit all the other major trek episode tropes, so why not this one! Also it's a rather neat way to explain Number Ones disappearance after The Cage in universe. We'll have to wait and see what they do with it, but based on this season I've no worries about how they approach it.

Another thing that I never mentioned in my first post. The Romulan makeup was pretty great. TNG style Romulans with the slight forehead ridges, but ever so slightly updated and made more naturalistic. That's how you do an update and redesign of an established species poperly IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭eadrom

Loved it. Not my favourite episode of the season but definitely enough in there to rave about.

Love what they did with Kirk. Not a hint of Shatner in the performance, but the character was there. That's got to be a decision that was thought long and hard about and I think they made the right choice.

Story-wise, seemed to be lacking something to be honest. Was grand but a little flat at times, maybe I was just expecting more action in the final episode. Alternative time/reality episodes always lack a bit of tension though, I find. We're basically told up front that none of this really matters, except as a little cautionary tale for Pike.

Everything looked fantastic, as usual. Although the extra details on the movie-era uniforms were probably unnecessary.

Cliffhanger, grand. I think Una has been fairly underused this season really, so to be honest I've no real attachment or expectations with the character. Guess we might have some lawyer-Pike coming up anyway.

Hope La'An comes back, and that's not something I expected to be saying about "the stupid Khan character".

Really wish they'd put up a proper "To be continued..." on the end there. Feels like they came so close, with the stern eyes right down the lends, the dun-dun, fade to black.... then nothing. Cowards :-P

@eadrom

Really wish they'd put up a proper "To be continued..." on the end there. Feels like they came so close, with the stern eyes right down the lends, the dun-dun, fade to black.... then nothing. Cowards :-P

"Lieutenant Ortega, fire on my kind of sometimes girlfriend" DUN DUN DUN, drumroll, DUN DUN DUN, drumroll, DUN DUN DUN!

Edit: just realised I knew off hand the tactical officer after ten episodes. Not a clue for Discovery, had to google it. Says a lot really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 rgbm1

Good to see the “I don’t believe in the no win scenario” alive and well 😎 Roll on season 2, apart from the budget saving fairytale “bottle” show I enjoyed the season.

Cheers for mentioning Battle of Terror. I'm a very casual viewer of Trek stuff so I wouldn't have copped that. To the episode, yeah, I thought it was pretty great and gave a good "way out" for Pike to accept his fate.

Balance - d'oh.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,251 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Great episode. They did stick the landing.

I liked Paul Wesley as Kirk. Big shoes to fill and was probably tempted to do a Shatner impression. May have even started doing one but was told to go another way.

Must have a look at the Battle of Terror episode now since ye mention it here to see how it originally went.

And I don't usually look for reviews but saw on ign that they gave the season a 10.

Post edited by CastorTroy on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭sioda

Trek done right and in style excellent episode and fantastic series.

Only gripe is we have to wait so long for more 😄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Just bloody amazing - the episode and the whole season

Dunno about Kirk yet - thought they would go with more of a lookalike, something put me off about him, his mannerisms or something

And I kinda like they didn't show Scotty, just a tiny intro to the character

Post edited by fritzelly on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,600 ✭✭✭corkie

@[Deleted User] Cheers for mentioning Battle of Terror.

@castertroy

I linked to the wiki breakdown of that episode, 'Balance of Terror'. <<< Not 'Battle'!!?? which which brought up 911 links.

Two of the actors playing Romulans in this episode later played Vulcan characters, namely Mark Lenard (Sarek) and Lawrence Montaigne (Stonn).

There is a playlist of 7*5mins clips on youtube of the episode.

Genuine brain switching off typo on that one. Cheers for the correction.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,477 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

That must have been the darkest episode of Trek ever. Even the darkest and most downbeat of DS9 episodes were easier going than that. It's an episode where condemning kids to death and yourself to agonising mutilition is the recommended path, and where Kirk and Ortegas' blood lust is rewarded. It's almost the anti-Trek episode. And then the extra kick when the viewer is down with Number One getting hauled off. It's an ambitious path to have taken given much more cheerier episodes that preceded it.

Other random musings though:

Not a fan of the shiny shoulders on the monster maroon jacket, there was no need to mess with the design like that.

Why not name drop Scotty if they make such a blatant nod to him otherwise? Maybe the casting isn't set yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Well. What a pack of deep stressful .. stress .. stuff!

Well done episode. What a wraparound feeling of stress over Pikes story now. Trapped! Buried Alive!

Based on the other timeline, I'm not sure Una is getting out.. but she must.. I dunno.

Great ending DUN DUN DUNs.. Not as sharp as the best of both worlds one but enough to remind me

Didn't feel it with Kirk .. charisma wise.. leadership fine.. but would give a few more episodes a chance to see how the charisma might play out.

Did get a kick out of seeing Memory Alpha on the star chart 🙂

Definitely heard Picard saying That'll be the day! when the Praetor told em to surrender!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,682 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Brilliant episode! Very good take on a Trek classic. Romulans were cool and kept the classic TOS look. Barely noticed the ridges. I liked the Romulan Fleet style. I say we will see those ships on STO soon enough.

Not sure about the Kirk character yet. Seems very wooden, but just might need time to develop.

Great to see the WOK uniforms, but no need for the shiny bits!!!

Finally, I thought the episode should have ended with Pike sitting in the chair smiling. No need for the Una bit, could have easily been the first episode of S2.

This is the best first season of any Trek show. Solid all the way through. Already looking forward to Season two.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Oh.. and side thought..La'an and Pike maybe? .. or maybe only alt-Maybe .. or maybe Nah and she really got into huggin 🙂

yea i agree with the Una Bit - but man, i have just watched TOS Balance of Terror - seriously todays episode is fantastic but im dying to rewatch now AGAIN - il be rewatching for a third time (i have no life)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,251 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

What was with the Morticia Addams like lighting of the eyes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

The Una bit was already foretold, nothing like self fulfilling ending to the season - didn't bother me - I'm sure she will back quickly

As others said what has made my enjoyment of the show more intense (and while I love Star Trek I'm no nerd) is that it shines through and through that the writers know Star Trek and makes it so much more enjoyable, unlike Disco which seems its just full of writers brought in to write a sci-fi show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,920 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

No need for me to write a review because this is it exactly.

Using Balance of Terror was great, Kirk was wooden, The TWOK uniform was messed with sadly but still great to see. That uniform and the All Good Things one must be the most used people out of time ones in Trek.

Ms

Just watching it again. I must say I did not think the actor for Hansen was any good. Trying to hard I think. Enterprise can you see. Not that it really matters anyway as he is not in it very long. The part where the Romulan weapon finishes his base off do and he is basically floating in space was well done.

I do think the Romulan cloaking and decloaking was very cool and the plasma weapon was well done and brilliant modern interpretation of the original.

I actually think the actor doing James Kirk in this did a good job after watching it for a second time. Yes it's a bit wooden but he was in charge of a much smaller, much less powerful and capable ship than the Enterprise so probably also has a lot less experience that when he is Captain of the Enterprise during this time and he also has not met Spock or probably even Dr.MCcoy yet his two best friends and that all helps to shape the Kirk we know in TOS and the one here in SNW.

He is still very much young, inexperienced and arrogant.

It will be interesting to see what William Shatner thinks of the Kirk here if he watches this.

Just a pity they made a balls of phasers in this from both the farragut and Enterprise. I still see slight kurtzman influences. Hope he keeps his dirty hands off SNW and that's the only time that happens.

Post edited by AMKC on

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ms

Great to see the WOK uniforms, but no need for the shiny bits!!!

Maybe not but I liked it. There own little touch to it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,930 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Yeah, very decent end to the season, quite happy with that. Pike is such a great character, played perfectly.

Only downside really is that I'm not at all gone on the Kirk casting, felt like a charisma-vacuum in comparison to the real deal. The character and performance themselves were fine if it was a new character, but it just didn't feel like anything of Kirk - nothing playful or rascally about him in the performance, he actually seems very emotionally restrained and internalised, which is a really odd choice. It needed someone like Anson Mount himself, who just oozes charm and charisma from the first glance. This chap wouldn't warrant a second look if his name weren't Kirk.

All in all a very good solid first season - episodes 7 and 8 were losing me a bit, wasn't terribly fond of either, but 9 and 10 entirely pulled me back. Trek is littered with misjudged season-1 episodes, so SNW is definitely ahead of the curve - just a shame it's such a short season, would've liked another few weeks with this crew before the long wait.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,477 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

That's a deliberate recreation of the lighting used in the original Balance of Terror.

• Advertisement
    Ms

I will say it was a brilliant ending.

Yes it could have had "To Be Continued" to it but it's not like say BOBW where it was a genuine two parter it might come up in the first episode of season 2 or not till the fifth episode for all we know.

I have to ask do does Pike know Captain Batel? Have we met her before? I do not remember meeting her.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Advertisement