Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What GAA club is Ard Uisce in Wexford town?

• 07-07-2022 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

I've heard that Ard Uisce would not be classed as town, but is part of Pembrokestown which is St.Martins GAA club. According to google maps it's on the outskirts of town, even tho the St. Josephs club is 5 minutes down the road. Does anyone know anymore about it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Is St Joseph’s not the local GAA club for Ard Uisce housing estate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭RonanG86

I cannot see a reasonable definition of townlands or parishes etc. that puts Ard Uisce in the remit of a GAA club in Piercestown.

By townland it's in Whiterock South. Historical townlands are tiny, and Whiterock South is entirely contained within in the ringroad and doesn't go near Piercestown. By Electoral Division Ard Uisce is in Wexford Rural, and by Civil Parish it's Maudlintown.

I'd say it's St. Joseph's. You could ring them and ask if you really want to be sure.

On a local level, anything on Whiterock Hill has been considered part of town since at least the 90s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

St Joseph’s new clubhouse is being built almost right beside Ard Uisce. St Martin’s is miles away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 obalrevie

vv

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Pretty sure Joseph's don't field a hurling team at any level, so if ye want to hurl Martins might be an option... unless you're condemned to Clonard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭kksaints

It'd be the Harriers then wouldn't it not? Josephs for football anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Depends... when your local club don't facilitate a particular sport, in this case hurling, then you have the right to seek a club that do. Google Maps suggests that Ard Uisce is closer to St Martins (2.7mi) than Pairc Charman (3.4mi).

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Son Of Caba

I too have recently moved to the Whiterock area. As the Joseph is my nearest GAA club I've heard bad stories about the club and obviously with what happened yesterday I'm glad I didn't look into it anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

Maybe a bit late for the OP here, but basically, the so-called "parish rule" applies differently in Wexford town than in the rest of the county.

If you're joining a club there for the first time, you have your choice of joining any of the clubs in the town, and don't have to choose the one based closest to you. So in football, there's the choice of Sarsfields, Volunteers, St. Mary's, and St. Joseph's, and in hurling, there's the choice of Faythe Harriers and Clonard.

Ard Uisce is not part of the St. Martin's catchment area, so somebody living there couldn't play legally for St. Martin's except under certain prescribed circumstances, such as them being originally from Piercestown/Murrintown and it being their first club, or in the case of a child, if he/she attends school there.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Son Of Caba

Oh I heard that because Ard Uisce is Pembrokestown or however its spelt, it's classed as the same parish as the St. Martins, I dont know how out dated the statement is or why they think that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

I used to live on Whiterock Hill myself. Not quite as far as up as Ard Uisce, but it was still Pembrokestown, and it certainly wasn't St. Martin's country. Maybe there's some quirk that part of Pembrokestown falls into one parish while the rest of it falls into another, but I'm not aware of anything like that myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

Knew about the parishes historically, never heard about not being able to play if not in the catchment before. Plenty of clubs are amalgamating now anyway as they are short players. Live in Whitrock hill myself (not as far as Ard Uisce), and numerous neighbours around play for Martins. I think 1 plays for Josephs (as some said - no hurling) and 1 plays the the Harriers.

I'd pick the one you want and and see how you get on. Martins is meant to have a good social community, but I'm sure they all have - I just don't hear about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭kksaints

Funny enough I heard the opposite about Martins. Very cliquey and the atmosphere was meant to be poisonous in the club after one of the hurling finals a few years ago.

Advertisement