Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Football League Thread 2024/25 Championship, League 1, League 2

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

It's a fresh set of teams...not a huge fan of a Luton v Millwall type tie. Robins would be Manager of the Season in any fair world but Kompany will get it.

Only Boro and WBA win from 3rd to 12th in a mad midweek.

Millwall lose to Birmingham, Luton draw with 10 man Reading, Norwich draw at QPR, Watford lose to Cardiff, Preston lose to Swansea, Blackburn draw with Coventry, Sunderland draw with Huddersfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Three points now separate 5th from 11th, with three games left. These are how many points each team has taken from the last 15 (nerves much!)

Millwall(65) 5

Blackburn (64) 3

WBA (63) 8

Coventry (63) 6

Sunderland (62) 9

Norwich (62) 5

Preston (62) 9

I spoke to a Blackburn supporter who works with me about Leeds' successful season, when they either won or lost games. Draws just cost you. Blackburn didn't draw any league games until January 2023, and now have strung 3 draws back-to-back. They are still way one of only 4 sides in single figures for draws, but you're better winning 2 and losing 3 than drawing 5. The Baggies are hitting form at just the right time now and like Blackburn have a game in hand. Of these teams, only Millwall have a single home game left.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭It is a Dunne Deal

Yeah its incredibly tight and WBA play Sunderland on Sunday an absolutely massive game. Another big story in the championship this season is the job Paul Heckingbottom has done at Sheffield United this season a team on a transfer ban in financial meltdown and has them on track for promotion incredible job. Seemingly they'd be absolutely fucked without this promotion. He has them in FA cup semi final as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

God if Blackburn miss out on the playoffs by a point the lad who got the OG will never forgive himself. Although I'd place more blame on the guy who dinked the ball into the Preston goalie's hands...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

A 94th minute OG to cost a win straight after a 95th equaliser by a goalkeeper....that's rough luck

Wrexham on track for promotion tonight, 2-1 up after an early setback

3-1 now! Congrats Wrexham!!

If there's any justice (but there isn't!) then Notts County join them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Delighted for Wrexham. Thoroughly deserved promotion and champions, eventually. They would have of course been champions alot sooner but for Notts County- who already have enough points to have won any previous year. I sincerely hope they get up through the play offs.

Mullin with 37 goals, 9 in the FA Cup alone- the Haaland of non league this year.

Over 10k at the game and it will be some night of celebrations!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,295 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Making their own luck,

JDT didn't learn from the last game, same trick again of bringing on a defender to try and hold onto it.

An og from the player they bought from Coventry and was in their publicity shots for the game on Wednesday keeps Coventry in fifth with Burnley next...

I was at the Coventry Reading game. Aside from Lucas Joao, Reading have very little going for them. They're not good defensively, Gyokeres could've caught up with Chuba Akpom from this game alone.

Norwich and Watford are out of it. Preston probably. It looks like between Coventry, Sunderland, West Brom and Blackburn for two spots. Millwall are not far off dropping out of it with their form and Swansea might've left it a bit too late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Delighted for Wrexham , great to the passion and players that care - Pitch invasions and flares add to the occasion for me , it was a tiny few idiots who ruined it for the many last season - fans like to celebrate , and flares add something

West Brom take the lead in a sort of playoff game for the playoffs against Sunderland.

A penalty, that was never a penalty and the West Brom player who was rolling about should be ashamed of that.

Fantastic team goal from Sunderland with Cirkin scoring his second. WBA 1-2 Sunderland in the 85th Minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭markest

Up The Cobblers, guaranteed a play-off spot again. Hoping for win on Saturday vs Bradford for automatic promotion. Don't want a repeat of last year's disappointment.

• Advertisement

Carlisle United          15:00  Salford City

Leyton Orient           15:00  Stockport County

Mansfield Town        15:00  Harrogate Town

Northampton Town 15:00  Bradford City

6 of the top 7 playing against each other!

@markest better hope the O's aren't out on the lash!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Two thrillers in the National League playoffs. Notts County were 2 down at half time against Borehamwood but got a 97th minute equaliser to send it to extra time and a 120th minute winner. Chesterfield conceded a late equaliser themselves against Bromley to go to extra time but they had enough against 10 men in the extra 30 minutes. Poor Bromley defender had a mare, scoring an own goal before getting sent off 20 minutes later.

2nd against 3rd in Wembley next Saturday (even with 23 points between them at the end of the season).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭4Ad

Derby didn't make the play-offs, dodgy penalty and sending off against them today but the damage was done in the last few weeks, if you cant beat Shrewsbury etc where are you going.

5 Irish in the squad, I wonder how many will be there next season, hope they all stay but I doubt it.

Oh Well another season away to Accrington Stanley !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Great to see Cambridge stay up, like Mark Bonnar so glad to see the decision to stick with him worked out. Brilliant to see Plymouth win the title and break 100 points, some achievement with the quality of teams in League 1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,079 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

This game (Tranmere v Cobblers) is torture. Need Hartlepool to score another 2 or 3 because the Cobblers have a knack of fúcking things up.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Phew. Delighted, and delighted for Brady after Scunthorpe royally screwed us last season. Hartlepool showed how it was done. (despite it not mattering in the end)

COBBLERS!

Love that stat, also proves how many times we get relegated 😂. Used to have to seek re-election bitd when we'd finish bottom of the old division 4.

Tough league to stay in League One but this seasons been great with whopping load of injuries and I'll certainly celebrate today.

Delighted for Northampton after the bizarre final day last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Playoff places got to Luton, Middlesbrough, Coventry, Sunderland

I guess Middlesbrough would be faves there?

You don't want to be favourites but I think they would be yeah.

Phenomenal final 45 minutes of the season.

I'd fancy Sunderland only for they have too many injuries now (Cirkin and Gooch picking up knocks Today), they are wonderful to watch going forward.

Luton would be the favourites...Boro aren't in great form.

Coventry selling their centre half to pay for a pitch, no home games, suspended points penalty, bottom in September, Wasps gone bust, stadium company gone bust, takeover, fifth smallest budget and a small squad with injuries. It's a remarkable achievement for Coventry.

As a West Ham fan, that final 45 minutes was absolutely glorious to see.

Rowett is great at getting top half finishes, but just lacking something in his management style to push his teams into the playoff spots. I wonder Millwall will look at moving him on, even if he is outperforming in terms of their budget.

Playoffs should be good though hard to call. Boro have the best squad and have goals but also not the best defence. Luton have a good balance but hard to know how they will cope with the pressure of being favourite in their semi. Both Coventry and Sunderland have momentum and could easily get through.

• Advertisement

like to see Sunderland go up , proper club with fantastic fanbase

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Would love to see Coventry do it, given what they've been through with the stadium. I think they'd be the first team in the Premier League era to drop all the way to League Two and make it back.

Luton have also been on a wild ride in that period.

I'm not too mad about Sunderland or Boro but I have a lot of time for Tony Mowbray.

Sheffield Wednesday fans getting annihilated online after their 4-0 tonking last night. Apparently they gave Derby fans a good slagging last weekend. Ironically, that win was how Posh sneaked in!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

2-2 at Wembley - Notts County back in it with 10 to go in ET

It goes to pens.

Considering how they pushed Wrexham all the way in a Record points total season, I'm delighted Notts County won on penalties and get promoted.

The Sub-Keeper came on in the last minute of extra time for the penalty shootout and he was the difference, saving not 1 but 2 penalties.

Chesterfield 2 Notts County 2

AET (HT 1-0 FT 1-1 )

Notts County win 0-0 on penalties Delighted!!!!!!!!!!

well done Notts County , hopefully Sunderland can finish the job at Luton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭adaminho

Don't forget Luton were relegated from the last ever first division before the Premier league and then went non-league.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

There was more atmosphere at the vanarama game than there was at either cup semi, particularly the city one

Great performance Today from Sunderland. Luton pressed hard in that first half and played to their strengths and Sunderlands' weakness at the back. Moment of magic from Diallo to have it level at the break.

Luton didn't manage to keep up the intensity and let Sunderland into the game.

It really is some achievement from Sunderland given their current defensive troubles, it will be another tough game on Tuesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Almost half time,Luton 2 up on the night, 3-2 up on aggregate.

Luton into the final, great stuff. Hopefully they win it out now

Sunderland needed an extra goal lead from Saturday. Luton away really the hardest game you could get. Comical open goal miss too that should've sealed it.

They're not a great side to watch but they are very good at what they do.

Post edited by dfx- on

Drameh with the miss, doing some early pre-season for his return to Leeds

• Advertisement

WEDNESDAY!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Sheffield Wednesday just brought their game to 4-4 at the end of the 2nd leg going into Extra time now

The playoffs in every single division are just pure entertainment! Not when you're supporting a team involved, mind you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭adaminho

The brother is a Wednesday fan and sent this into the family group chat earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Peterborough retake the lead

• Advertisement
Advertisement