Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mass Protest in the Netherlands by Farmers.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Now you’ve been educated, do you still take offence to my avatar? Is it still a nefarious representation of some ulterior motives I hold?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

You're the chap who seem to think that using the word "European" to describe the native people of Europe is not perfectly normal as per the dictionary but instead that European refers only to those people who happen to reside in Europe at any point in time. Most people know that this is balderdash but that won't deter ya.

You're the chap who had to be corrected on his attempt to claim that the word "extinct" can't be used to refer to a distinct group of people

Presumably you''ll be off to some Mohawk forum soon to explain to them that theres no actual difference between them and Europeans who dispossesed them, its all just a question of geographic location. 😂

Gwan, follow those parlour tricks with defining what a woman is. That'll be a giggle.

Dig up man. I’m happy with your definition of European now: people who inhabit Europe or are of European descent. Why are you now arguing against your own definition

I actually want to have a debate on substance. The only way that can happen though is if we both agree on what we mean. Which is why I want to know what this “death cult” is

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Labaik

Isn't that the whole point we are trying to make? Its not even big news because the media will not report it.

Looks a small enough protest alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Shots fired at A USA rally would be hearing about it for weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,230 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Shots fired or multiple fatalities? Shots fired would barely even register on local news.

Bad comparator TBF, the cops over there shot a lad last week 60 times, yes 60. Then they handcuffed him. You are dealing with a different animal over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

It's only when a classroom full of kids gets shot that U.S. shootings will really make the news.

Even then its only for a day or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Labaik

But a computer hacking in Iran that caused a fire in a steel factory made BBC news.

So? The news cycle on the bbc was dominated by Boris last week.

they/them/theirs

Oh I see now why certain individuals seem overly invested in this non global story.

The lizard people want to control the food or some other similar scutter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

His point I presume is how climate activism is largely confined to rich White people.

Russia want to Control food no lizard people in site.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

If that photo is true and not bring given much coverage how can anybody not ask why?

If farmers here did that and it wasn't hot news and lots of coverage I'd be asking why not. There's an agenda there somewhere.

You me and many other's would have probably starved to death along time ago.

And not to forget poor countries that cant grow food importing it. What are they going to say to the people of Africa. Sorry we cant produce food for you because C02...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,297 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

A lot of progressive movements in the world have been white wealthy movements. It wasn't poor people setting up the RSPCA etc. Many Irish republicans were from wealthy backgrounds. Poor people are worried about putting their next meal on the table not rising Co2 levels.

thats some presumption based on their posts. It’s been repeated claims that the “western media” aren’t covering the story.

they/them/theirs

If the farmers did it in Ireland you’d expect a lot of coverage in Ireland.

The days of the actual protest there was a lot of coverage here and internationally. I posted multiple links already but I’m happy to find more if you want.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

RTE is a government mouthpiece, we all know the connections it's been well documented. I'd say the Irish government are **** bricks. Sleepy Eamon, Leo the leak and mr Burns all know it could easily happen here.

Why must immigration be the answer? Why don't governments in Europe, if population decline is bad, actually address the issue to the public, and come up with some solutions to boosting the birth rates of the native population? Why is it seemingly discussed behind closed doors and then no official response, except for turning a blind eye to the illegal migrants who are coming to Europe in ever increasing numbers (in as much as you can trust the numbers - after all there's nobody standing with a clipboard to register all the dinghies and boats brought in by the smuggling gangs).

• Advertisement

Well if it was up to me I'd just let the population decline and aim for degrowth. That goes against the capitalist way though where increasing economic growth and GDP is all that matters so immigration will always make up for declining birth rates in places like Ireland.

They aren't covering the story. Just like they didn't really cover the Canada trucker convoy story.

Compare that to the coverage of the 'Me Too' movement - which was basically confined to the internet. But the media stirred it up and blew up everything around that movement. Because it was a convenient Good vs Evil narrative and it made people angry.

By contrast, the Dutch farmers, the Canadian truckers, these protests are complicated and scary to the media elites because they threaten the climate message. Sky News used to be my go-to channel but nowadays it's like a Greenpeace propaganda channel. They simply don't want to listen to the voices of Dutch farmers.

Exactly this, but you'll be Told your a conspiracy theorist Bear.

It was the same with Covid

RTE ain't covering it 'properly' because they don't want people to see it.

Was the minority of Canadian truckers protesting about climate change, thought they were anti vax fuckwíts?

Either way it was extensively covered in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,998 ✭✭✭conorhal

Immigration is the answer because the human condition must be subverted to corporate interests at all times.

If you stay home and raise your kids in a single income household you are not out slaving to generate tax revenue for the government and the price of homes can't be doubled. The same if you prioritise a work life balance that is oriented to your family. The message is clear, stop having kids and spend your money on rent, iPhones and lattes instead.

Our culture has become one of disposable consumerism and outsourcing, even to the point that we have outsourced bearing and raising the next generation of Irish children. This all started with that scumbag Charlie McCreevy and tax individualization and will end with the upcoming referendum to remove the constitutional recognition that women should not be forced to work while raising kids, because raising children is seen as having little or no value in society. That is what we are today as a society, a culture amusing itself to death that places zero value on family.

But back on topic, I see the Greens are pushing for EXACTLY the same tagets through exactly the same methods as the Dutch:

No wonder the media isn't eager to cover events in Holland too closely, they don't want to be giving anybody any ideas.

They covered both. I posted many examples of coverage. What kind of proof do you need? When is the coverage at a sufficient level for you?

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 6,962 ✭✭✭amacca

It's absolutely moronic that the powers that be want to reduce slaughter age....

That simply incentivizes more intensive style of production and more heads/throughput imo

One has to wonder why? ....the greens want reduced emissions but they want to do it in a way that benefits the industries around the farmer and squeezes the farmer out

They are pushing for changes that will result in more intensification, favour the large intensive operators and probably result in more GHG production........I have so little faith in the greens or farm organisations/advisory services etc when I see the **** being pushed now its not funny

• Registered Users Posts: 6,998 ✭✭✭conorhal

It makes less than no sense, unless there is some other agenda at play...

I mean, nobody's demanding the same emissions cuts from the airline industry or data centres, just the farmers... you have to wonder why?

You could I suppose make an argument for the cuts with regards the Netherlands, farming there is about as intensive as it gets, but Ireland with its small farms bound by bio-diverse hedge-rows where cattle are outdoors most of the year and fed on grass bares absolutely no comparison when it comes to emissions compared to the Dutch cattle that are grain fed in warehouses, yet no account is taken for that.

I think partly it's down to the greens wanting to force people to become vegetarian by making meat unsustainably expensive, or perhaps there's more to it than that... perhaps this guy has a point or two to his analysis about EU policy.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Yup. The vast majority of movements and revolutions in the Western world have been driven by the middle classes. As you note the poor are concerned with the basic realities. The rich are protected and protectionist of the status quo that supports them. It's the middle that kick off when they get squeezed too far.

I'd have the same opinion. Degrowth, which is also a huge win for the environment. It would be a win even if we stayed on our present course of extreme throwaway consumerism. It's basic maths. Halve the number of people and you halve the amount of energy and resources and waste. But like you say the current capitalist model that drives that throwaway consumerism and constant boom and bust cycle is dead set against that, because more people means more consumers and producers(and the boom/bust cycles concentrate the money among fewer people) and a lot of the environmentally minded folks out there support this same more people stuff, or don't see it as a problem, or one we can fix by going more "green".

The same Western consumerist economics also drives what Conorhal noted; outsourcing. Outsourcing to cheaper places with cheaper peoples to make more stuff that the richer peoples will consume while it decimates their ability to make stuff locally. America, the biggest economy on the planet is a good example. Their wealthy started to outsource manufacturing which tore the heart out of their local manufacturing while their middle and low income wages stagnated and their rich/poor wealth divide has grown to a degree not seen since their Gilded Age(put it this way; the US has higher wealth inequality than Russia and we rightfully see Russia as an oligarch state run by criminals). And as Conor also noted we've even started to "outsource" having kids to feed this economic model. Though I would differ in the whys compared to Conor. I as ever follow the money. IMHO one big reason feminism and women's equality got and gets support from Western big business and government is feck all to do with equality, but much more to do with tapping into a previously largely untapped "resource". Literally half the population. It doubled the numbers of consumers and producers. It also monetised what was once off the books labour. The middle class woman working in a corporation is an earner and consumer and what was once "free" is now monetised and taxable in childcare even housework. Ker-ching. But of course the same woman and man in her life usually has to delay having a family until she and he is established in their career and financially stable enough to be able to afford a place to live and start a family, which in most cases will be smaller than previous generations. Where once an average single wage* could afford a house and the raising of a family of three or four or more kids.

* in the "old" setup it wouldn't even have to be a man's wage. A neighbour of mine I knew when I was a kid was widowed in her early 30's and even back then in the bad old days of inequality for women, was able to raise three kids and provide and keep a roof over their heads. I know it was a struggle at times, but she could do it and in a "nice neighbourhood" with it. A relative of mine did similar when her deadbeat husband fecked off and left her. On another thread hereabouts a poster now in her sixties did similar as a single mum. These days that would be extremely difficult to do for a working woman and "easier" for those relying on social welfare supports.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

A lot of prominent environmentalists talk about degrowth too though. Degrowth also means having less stuff, less opportunities, less items available in supermarkets, less holidays, less money to spend. Most of the population would prefer the current model to the realities of degrowth, so how do you deal with that?

Advertisement