Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LED light not working

Options
  • 08-07-2022 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

Hi,

I have 2 LED waterproof ceiling lights in my kitchen. The power went a while back and them came back a day later. Since then the two lights don't work. The strand thing is that I have two of the exact same ceiling light in my Hall and landing and they are working grand.

I was thinking the lighting circuit for the kitchen could be bad or something but checked it and it seems to have power.

I've taken the two ceiling lights down off the kitchen ceiling and opened them. Around the wire contact's (where its soldered to the board) have little brown circles around.

I suspect what happened is that when the power went, the switch on the wall was left on (whereas the switch in the hall and on the landing was off) so I'm assuming that when the power returned the lights in the kitchen received a surge of power (whereas the ones in the hall and landing didn't)

I'm not an electrical person so really done know. Would I be correct in assuming that this is what happened?

Does it sound that the lights have, I'm fact, blown?

I'm thinking of ordering the same lights off the net and replacing the ones in my kitchen. What ye think?

Thanks everyone, in advance for your replies.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I suspect you are correct

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

When the power goes I usually switch off at the board to avoid this

I do leave a light on as an indicator

Never trusted power faults or restoration of power with expensive equipment

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Without seeing the board we can't be sure. But brown circles can indicate spot heating or arcing. Both of these would weaken the solder joint and the PCB/mounting and over time the electrical connection would fail. It's likely that this point of failure occurred once the power was restored (or during a brown-out condition) as this caused electrical over-stress to the now-failing joint(s).

If the kitchen light was the most used of the lamps then you might expect to see the same latent browning effect on the hall and landing lamps also.

Advertisement