Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Next British PM

• 08-07-2022 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭blackcard

Think that it deserves a thread of its own Who do you think will be the next British PM? The possible candidates in order of favouritism are as follows:

Ben Wallace

Rishi Sunak

Penny Morduant

Tom Tugendhat

Andrea Jenkins

Liz Truss

Nadim Zahawi

Sajid Javid

Jeremy Hunt

Steve Baker

Dominic Raab

Wera Hobhouse

Daily Cooper

Suella Braverman

Grant Sharps

Priti Patel

Boris Johnson

Anyone else?

Who will win?

Who is best or worst for us?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,178 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Jeremy Hunt is probably the best option. He's by no means perfect but the pool isn't exactly stacked with talent.

People like Baker and Raab will try to screw over Ireland the first chance they get. They won't be able to but it won't stop the irritation of having yet more Brexit nonsense to deal with. Javid and Sunak are more sober choices. We'll have to see how things pan out.

I think Sunak is the forerunner.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Truss would be a disaster for Britain, for Ireland, the EU, and probably the Tories.

She was a remainer. Now she is a remainer - that is she wants to remain relevant - or at least what she thinks others consider relevant. So Brexit it is - and the harder the better - is that not right, ERG?

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭SecretsOfEarth

It's a fairly grim list alright, especially the latter half - Raab and Patel would be more disasters waiting to happen, albeit for different reasons. Patel is extremely cut-throat and would have little concern for Irish or EU worries, while Raab just seems to be outstandingly incompetent in every way.

Any votes for Nadine Dorries? 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭blackcard

The ERG have sufficient numbers that a candidate of their choice should be one of the two candidates that goes forward to the membership for selection as the PM. It is my understanding that the membership is even more conservative, more pro-brexit and more anti- EU than the parliamentary party and I am afraid that they will select the more hardline candidate

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,178 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It can't be Braverman. Even for the current crop of candidates, she's appalling:

In the second video, she boasts about the ERG taking public money but can't give the names of any of its members.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭mazdamiatamx5

What are peoples views on Penny Mordaunt? I don't know much about her.

Interestingly enough if it's Mordaunt or Braverman Britain will have its third female PM - all Tories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 939 ✭✭✭mikep

According to the UK independent, Ben Wallace has ruled himself out of the race

Rishi Sunak issued a video yesterday declaring his candidacy.

It's a hard one to call with the long list of potential candidates..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Well Ben W. and Rishi were the top to choices according to betting firms and if the rumours are true about Rishi having a campaign ready (and with 12 MPs stepping up behind him) he's the main target for knives would be my guess. Tories don't care where his wife is domeciled but not lowering taxes is probably going to be a beating stick used against him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,272 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Mordaunt gives the impression that she believes she is the best thing since sliced bread, but in fact her experience is limited - too limited to become PM.

Yes, she is Trade Secretary, yet Liz Truss is the one that has been taking all the limelight for the new trade deals with Australia, New Zealand, Japan etc (even if they are shyte)

So yes, Mordaunt will probably run, positioning herself politically between a Wallace and a Braverman.

With Wallace gone though, his ilk may coalesce around a Tugendhat, or less likely a Jeremy Hunt. No doubt about it though, Wallace ruling himself increases the potential quotient of crazy quite a bit.

My guess is the final two will be Javid V Truss and it'll be close run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,264 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Are we in the twilight zone, how on earth could a PM be forced to resign due to partygate , and then we have Rishi Sunak his fellow party goer, Rishi a law breaker, who was fined by the police wanting to take over . WTF

It's one thing for a PM to break the law while PM, It's an entirely different thing to actually appoint a known law breaker as PM.

WTF

• Advertisement

Jeremy Hunt is an absolute country mile ahead of anyone else in the running, he only lost out to Boris last time out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,037 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Sunak, Mordaunt and Truss are the top 3 in the betting - with Sunak the warm favourite.

How the fck could that happen when he did the exact same as Boris??

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Should clearly be Nandine as "she'll carry on the Boris torch" because clearly that's what the party wants after depositing him...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭raclle

People like Baker and Raab will try to screw over Ireland the first chance they get.

This is my main worry for whoever gets in as I don't trust any of them with maybe the exception of Ben Wallace. He understands N.Ireland better than the rest having served a couple of tours and is in support of the GFA. He probably has the most sense and realises the importance of our trade relations and even though we are not their biggest import source it certainly wouldn't help damaging our relationship

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Doesn't matter who gets it according to the Express. Johnson will be back, emulating his roll model, Winston Churchill!

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1637369/boris-johnson-resignation-news-caretaker-prime-minister-conservative-party-vn

• Registered Users Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭McGiver

It's going to be either a woman or man of colour. The racist, chauvinist, classist and xenophobic and now quasi-fascist Tories will use that as a PR to "Show" they are not racist, chauvinist, classist, xenophobic and now quasi-fascist...

Doesn't look good anyway. It could be worse than Johnson the Clown.

Iain Dale is correct. He's done. I'm not sure why they're pining for a resurrection. Johnson was a pathetic PM and there are plenty like him ready to push culture war politics.

Hunt's election, should it happen is likely to represent a return to centre-right politics hopefully heralding a move away from sabre-rattling over the protocol and towards serious government and tackling the issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

I think Ben had opted out. Pity now its likely to be Lis Truss or Hunt.

Dan.

• Advertisement

He wasn't forced to resign over Partygate.

Partygate was one in a litany of bad leadership examples, but he was forced to resign over appointing an entirely unsuitable person to a job, where he repeated previous criminal behaviour and then Boris and his No 10 staff lied about it all.

In the archive of episodes demonstrating Boris' total lack of morals, scruples and integrity, right back to his youth, Partygate will be a mere after-thought compared to his other despicable behaviour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭donegal_man

"It has not been an easy choice to make, but my focus is on my current job and keeping this great country safe. I wish the very best of luck to all candidates and hope we swiftly return to focusing on the issues that we are all elected to address."

Ben Wallace statement withdrawing from the leadership race.

He could yet be a White Knight figure, kept clean of the grime that will be evident in the coming weeks.

Partygate was a huge part of it. Do you really thing a known law breaker like Rishi could get the job..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Sunak's issues will be around his green card and his wife's non-dom status. "Partygate" isn't even going to come into it.

Tugendhat is by far the best option for a "return to normal politics" angle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭raclle

With the way he handled the NHS his prospects don't look good and he was comprehensively defeated by Boris last time out. He's had a few various somewhat successful roles so he knows his way around as opposed to someone like Tugendhat. I'd like to see what his policies are going forward though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Sunsk was too fast out of the blocks and too forward about the whole thing, can't see him there at the finish

• Registered Users Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭blackcard

Strange that Ben Wallace is not entering the race. Seemed to have a very good chance and it is rare in a politician not to have the ambition to be the leader of a country. Is there a reason, apart from his statement that he discussed it with his family, that he is not entering the race at this point?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,064 ✭✭✭amacca

Perhaps he knows the type of policies he would have to pursue (given the types he would have to persuade to back him) and how incompatible they are with long-term success of his country or himself.....might be angling for a more sustainable long term run at leadership.

Maybe he is genuine and doesn't want the increased level of scrutiny/vitriol that would come his and his families way.....what if he's not just an avaricious pole climber and he thinks the whole brexit mess is untenable but now is not the time to display good judgement?.......there's an argument for not taking a hospital pass/poison chalice.

Advertisement