Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Next British PM

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

It's like your post is some odd twist on the BNP world view.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Truss will be the weakest PM ever because she has ambition that exceeds her ability by a country mile. Promise everything to everyone and she might get in, but failure is inevitable because the magic money tree has been eaten by the unicorns on the sunlit uplands of Brexitland.

She is an expert on cheese production in England 'and its a disgrace!' Small world stuff unsuitable for 'Global Britain'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,970 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Didn't Blair convert, but postponed until after he was out of office?

Sure wasn't Johnson baptised as a Catholic?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,953 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Not content with her party copying our policy of selling off public housing, Kemi Badenoch now wants to copy our planning policy.

https://twitter.com/adambienkov/status/1547928585280704515?s=21&t=ohvJPzvCULpH3osmiDpY8w

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Duke of Schomberg

Yes, both true - Blair married into a Roman Catholic family, and his sons were brought up as Roman Catholics.

Johnson's marriage to the delightful Carrie was a Roman Catholic ceremony, because his previous marriages were Anglican ceremonies and not therefore recognised by the Roman Catholic church.

Roman Catholicism isn't an issue in this context - except perhaps in parts of the Conservative & Unionist party in Scotland and Liverpool - as we'll always take a good Roman Catholic, such as Robert Nairac . . . but you're welcome to Jacob Rees-Mogg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,037 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

In the loosest sense of the word. In the UK, Parliament is sovereign, not the so called "constitution" (which left the country wide open to being hijacked by parliamentary shysters like Cameron and Johnson).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

It is loose yes, though finding the proroguement of parliament illegal for example relied essentially on the constitution. Government can not do what it wants, but parliament basically can. You could codify the constitution and still leave parliament sovereign and it wouldn't suddenly change things. I think what people mean is a constitution specifically "controlled" by the populace.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Anyone spending their sunny Friday evening watching the debate then?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

Lis Truss commits to tax cuts and Rishis team can't spell. The headline on Sky news at the moment.

I still have my bet on Penny to get through. unless the skulduggery derails her and there is bound to be some of that.

Dan.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Five lightweights fighting to be heavyweight champion. No experience necessary.

What is the collective noun for a group of pathetic lightweight nonentities? A fluff of featherweights, perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

Of course he does but rest assured, there will NEVER be anything other than a protestant style PM

which I can fully understand. It's just the way the wall is built!

Tugendhat on top after a poll relating to the debate; is unlikely to have any effect on his chances but still interesting all the same. He was the only one to openly call Johnson "dishonest", which probably went down well with those (non aligned?) voters. Truss seems vastly out of her depth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭amacca

Truss doesn't inspire confidence at all imo.....she doesn't look or speak like a leader..........maybe those aren't fair ways to judge but that's what I reckon will be in the minds of those voting....unless they want a placeholder there.

Truss would not be of sufficient talent to be selected as a minister, let alone a Secretary of State. She is devoid of even the most basic of talent.

She cannot even deliver a speech without sounding as if she did not read it through first. She has approached the EU as if being more objectional than Frosty will get better results for her than Frosty achieved for no reason whatsoever.

She thinks of herself as the embodiment of Thatcher and so dresses to remind people of how much she looks like her (in her own mid).

She likes cheese.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,132 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

She was very poor last night and the cosplaying as Thatcher is cringe.

She has a lot of muscle behind her, the ERG and plenty of Johnson loyalists, but despite these advantages her campaign has never really got going and I don't see much enthusiasm in the conservative spots of the internet.

The other fear for the tories from a Truss POV, I fear she could be such a lightweight she may not actually survive until the next election or if she does she will lose heavily.

Penny was very wooden last night, no matter your opinion on her politics its clear she doesn't have much charisma. That shouldn't matter but it really does.

Sunak polling numbers have been poor recently , but he had an ok night , seemed the most reasonable of the big hitters.

Tom and Kemi have no chance of winning, but have both raised their profile and in Kemi's case especially she can decide who will be in the final two thus expect her to get a big role next cabinet.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

Compromise Candidate | Yes, Minister: 1984 Christmas Special | BBC Comedy Greats - YouTube

This is actually what is happening in the corridors of power in Westminister.

Have no doubts that they'll find their man!

Still trying to make a bogeyman of the EU, whether or not it actually has any relevance. EU! Red Tape! Whether or not it protects customers or consumers will be immaterial of course. Usually when politicians talk about laws slowing "economic growth", somebody at the bottom end of the scale will suffer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

It's all gone over my head, I never even heard of the Tugendhat guy till last week. It's turning out to be a very British affair altogether to quote the TV show 'Yes Minister.'

Dan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,265 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

They ask each other questions, and everyone of them ramble about something completely different

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Tom Tugenhdat had another good performance on tonight's debate.

Liz Truss and Penny Mourdaunt had another bad evening imho.

If , as the polls suggest , Sunak will be beaten by whoever joins him in the final 2 (he's only 19 votes short of being guaranteed a final two spot), the conservatives will need to hope it's not Liz or Penny ; Kier Starmer will have a field day.

Same goes for Kemi - no substance.

Stand outs - Tom asking Penny when will she publish her plans

Rishi to Truss - what do you regret most - being a liberal Democrat or being a remainer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭amacca

Truss and Sunak confirming they don't want to take part in leadership debate on sky

They know they are the final two and an appearance now wont benefit either???

Could be a bit of assumption on Truss' part. Could be that she realise that her participation will only find her out more than the Rishi question - 'Being a Liberal Democrat or a Remainer - which do you regret more?'

That is a 'When did you stop beating your wife?' question for a Tory PM hopeful. She could be subject to a few of those - she has no skills for the job.

• Administrators Posts: 53,955 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Tugendhat gone.

The votes were as follows:

• Rishi Sunak - 115
    • Penny Mordaunt - 82
    • Liz Truss - 71
    • Kemi Badenoch - 58
    • Tom Tugendhat - 31

I'd guess Sunak will take the chunk of Tugendhat's votes?

The elimination of Badenoch is going to be the key one.

• Administrators Posts: 53,955 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I suspect the motives vary.

For Sunak, he's almost certainly going to be top 2, and so the benefits of tearing apart his party colleagues are limited.

For Truss, she's just terrible at it and an easy target, and there's no win for her in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭blackcard

Liz Truss and Rishi Sunak are now more or less joint favourites with the bookies to be the next PM. Penny Mordaunt has now gone out to 4/1

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Is it wrong of me wishing for Liz to win simply to really drive a stake through the Tory party by being even more incompetent than Boris?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,178 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Not at all. I live here and the UK can't move forward until it sees what damage the past 12 years of untrammelled Tory rule has been done.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Not sure about wrong but definitely widespread.

I do wonder whether they are simply choosing a leader to tide them over until the next GE. If they think the GE is lost may as well get a leader who is not bothered about doing stuff that is popular with the party but not the country.

Advertisement