Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Next British PM

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Rishi Sunak - 118 (up 3)

Penny Mordaunt - 92 (up 10)

Liz Truss - 86 (up 15)

Kemi Badenoch - 59 (up 1)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,467 ✭✭✭cml387

It's difficult to look past Liz Truss now. She should overtake Penny Mordaunt it the last ballot tomorrow.

Therafter she'll probably beat Rishi in the party membership vote.

However that being said there may be a large enough body of MP's who, when they look into the abyss of a Truss premiership, vote to keep her out.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭vimalandrew

For all the West to economically survive which it had enjoyed for many centuries, India is the only way. Because China is rising. Russia has attacked Ukraine. So finally Rishi Sunak will become the PM of UK. That is how Leo Varadkar became Irish Taoiseach. Soon, Kamala Harris will become the President of US.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'm struggling to comprehend a world where Liz Truss is somehow shaping to be the next PM. To elect one incapable idiot might be considered a moment of weakness; to elect a second? At least Johnson never hid from the fact he wanted to árse about playing Dear Leader; Truss appears to think she's capable - and a Dunning-Kruger is a trickier proposition to swallow.

Labour might do cartwheels if Truss is elected; you'd have to wonder if that would significantly shorten the odds of a Labour GE win.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

All Labour has to do is offer her a promise that Labour will buy British cheese for all their functions and she'll probably agree what ever they want; let alone what world leaders will get out of it all...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,178 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It's the result of winning three elections on the trot. They don't feel threatened by Labour and they're self-serving careerists, even by the low standards one might normally apply to any politicians.

Truss sees her opportunity and is going for it. Interestingly, there's not much that she and Sunak can offer the other to eliminate the final vote from the membership so watching them tear strips off each other ought to be at least somewhat entertaining.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭Shelga

Truss as PM would be entertaining if she wasn’t intent on using our island to gaslight us all and further her own political career, peace be damned. She is not very bright, yet very ambitious, and will change her stance like the wind if she thinks it will give her a political advantage. A dangerous combination.

If she does become PM, I hope there’s a general election within months, as the British people finally have enough of being embarrassed on the world stage. Then maybe we can end this Tory horror show for once and for all.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Its also a result of Johnson utterly gutting his cabinet and indeed the Tory party of anyone with brains or morals.

Penny got a fierce roasting by all the media there at the start of the week- every English paper was running stories of either her trans rights stance or her laziness and incompetence- it’s obvious the media don’t want her anyway.

But the speculation is Sunck wants her in the final two- so will be interesting what “dark arts” are worked by the grey suits in the background

• Registered Users Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

What happens if there is a tie between 2nd and 3rd?

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

• Registered Users Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

This contest is all about taxation.

Truss presenting herself as a tax cutter (which she won't do if she gets in) and Sunak as the safe pair of hands.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I thought Truss would be arguing for all her achievements - like hmm like hmm - I am sure I can think of one - just a minute - hmmm. Well anyway, she does like cheese.

Sunak will be concentrating on his clean hands and the fact he resigned from the Cabinet after - well when it was obvious - well the lies had to stop. Also, it was his wife that had Non Dom status, and avoided a pile of tax, despite being ridiculously rich. He will not mention his USA Green Card he had while Chancellor.

Oh dear, what a complex web we weave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,132 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Its a weird one. Looking at the final 4, when it came to a general election the weakest was clearly Truss and she is the betting fav if only marginally.

I find the criticisms of Sunak from the tories odd, he backed Brexit from day one and while he maybe looser than the ERG would like with spending he's not exactly lefty economically.

Truss was a remainer from day one, but I think in her the ERG see a useful idiot they can control to their bidding.

Maybe she will surprise us if she wins, but I see no upside in her whatsoever electorally, Boris had insane charisma and May was able to portray herself somewhat as a serious politician, Truss is absolutely empty.

Cummings been pretty nasty about Truss online, he's always liked Sunak so I wonder what type of devilment he will get up to next few weeks. Obviously Rishi will officially distance himself from him.

https://twitter.com/Dominic2306/status/1549772971585245184

• Registered Users Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭McGiver

It's a brown guy vs a White Great British Woman.

Xenophobic Tories will never select the brown guy. It's gonna be Truss.

The dimest and most incompetent PM in history. Which after another most incompetent client BoJo is really an achievement.

Labour must be praying for this outcome and hoping they won't select Sunak. They should endorse Sunak publicly just in case...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I don't entirely agree with this; electability has to factor and the Tories can't possibly be that myopic as to hand Labour its biggest advantage going into an election. I'd say it's a total coin toss at this stage. Either way the choices are utterly terrible. Though speaks volumes that when it comes to the current crop of Tories, it absolutely could have been worse. Imagine if Suella Braverman conspired to find herself the frontrunner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,467 ✭✭✭cml387

Whatever you think about Tony Blair, since he was PM every successor has been worse than their predecessor and the pattern shows no sign of changing.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭vimalandrew

Whatever be the case, for Britain to survive an Indian is to be elected as British PM. So the final answer is Rishi Sunak. Thats how

Leo became Irish Taoiseach;

Kamala Harris became US VIce President.

Sathya NAdella-Microsoft Chief.

Sundar Pichai-Google CEO.

Aravind Krishna - IBM CEO

Parag Agarwal - Twitter CEO

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Mod note:

Conincidence does not mean corellation. Please post meaningful discussion of the issue of who the next British PM might/ought to be.

Edit: by all means start a new thread on India as an emerging world power/superpower. Its an interesting and underdiscussed topic. But it should be kept separate.

Lazy Irish analysis. All Tories are racist blah blah blah. Did you not see the line up of contestants they had?

The whole contest is centred on taxation, inflation and borrowing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Leo Varadkar is Irish and was born in Dublin. Kamala Harris is American (born in Oakland, Ca). Rishi Sunak was born in Southampton and has been a Briton all his life. Not sure why you think they are Indian!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,178 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

So the lineup is fine so long as the white person wins? Chimes well with your repeated attempts to portray English people as white nationalists.

Diversity is great when you can take shots at the left and only then.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

I never said anything about white nationalism. Not one post. Are you getting me mixed up with someone or just looking for a pointless row?

The Indian diaspora are enormously successful. They have strong work ethic and they respect local traditions and culture.

No wonder they're doing so well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,132 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Lets not forget Kemi was the most popular with the members as she stormed the last conhome poll which is a very good barometer of the members.

Their is a lot to deplore about the leadership campaign but the diversity isn't. Army Man, Hunt, Snapps were the only white men who entered this and did absolute **** all between them, heck none of them even made the final 4.

With a final twist that I'm not Irish. So now what? Lazy bloody Continental Europe analysis?😂

Tories are racict classist xenophobic despicables and should be disbanded. I absolutely despise them and I have absolutely no affiliation with Northern Ireland or Irish Nationalism. I despise them from a European progressive point of view, they're stuck in 1900s.

Once they actually elect a man/woman of colour to the leadership then we can talk. They aren't called "Conservatives" because they're progressive.

The faux enthusiasm for diversity disappeared quite sharpish once it became likely that a white candidate was going to win. It's about owning the left and nothing else. I'm not going to be lectured about diversity by the whitest party in the House of Commons.

Luckily not everyone is absolutist as you when it comes to other human beings.

• Advertisement

I think the DUP, Sinn Fein, Plaid Cumyra etc have no non white MPs.

Have you got a source for this claim about the whitest party in the House of Commons?

Advertisement