Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BBC trialling adverts?

• 08-07-2022 9:14pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭

In the coverage of Wimbledon, at idle moments (lake when ad breaks might be slotted in if the channel showed them) they are suddenly breaking into video pieces which for all the world are adverts for BBC programmes or services.

I have never seen it anywhere else on the beeb, and it has all the hallmarks of testing advert insertion in live programmes. They are not single programme promotions, but a series of them, just like a series of adverts - or commercials, as they used to be called.

Could they be testing adverting on their UK channels?

Comments

They've been doing it for as long as I can remember. Rugby ad in between frames in the snooker, ad for women's football/sport relief before the kick off for 2nd half of FA Cup final etc. TV production standards have dropped precipitously in the last few years so it's probably just a bit more jarring now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I have never noticed it quite so obvious before.

It was just like ITV commercial break - jarring, inappropriate, jangly, over-vibrant colours - not suitable for those likely to clutch their pearls in fright.

Given the threats of funding reform (read massive cuts) from the various swivel-eyed Tory voices that hate the lefty run BBC, it would not be surprising that the testing has moved to on air testing of advert insertion.

Sounds like most TV now. Standards have slipped appallingly over the last decade especially for live stuff. Continuity and tone aren't factors any more it seems.

That's twice you've linked it to forthcoming adverts. It's nothing new. It's programme promo and nothing more.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

It’s nothing big, just promos. They’ve been doing it for the guts of twenty years or more.

If they really were trialing adverts as in commercials, you will hear about it, a lot, in advance. It will be a Really Big Deal and all over the U.K. press. It would breach their current charter and while never say never, it’s not going to happen anytime soon and linear tv will probably be dead before it’s politically acceptable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

What it could do is allow those watching via Sky in Ireland to see actual adverts. They couldn’t do it in a way that could be viewed in the UK but I believe Sky boxes can seamlessly replace broadcast tv with an internet stream.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The point I am making is that I have never seen Wimbledon interrupted in this way. In soccer or rugby matches - yes, - but interrupting the holy Wimbledon tennis while changing ends for a quick bit of promotion of third rate programmes - never.

They were promos because the BBC is celebrating it's Centenary as was Wimbledon. I get the impression you don't watch much BBC, as this is far from new and definitely not a precursor to advertisements. They've had that type of self promoting slot for many years.

I do watch BBC quite a bit.

Maybe it is the strident nature of these particular intrusions into the sedate Wimbledon ambience that disturbs me and leads me to presume it is the precursor to something not pleasant. It might be the BBC's attempt to attract those tennis viewers who they think might need to be tempted to watch BBC 3 now it is back on air.

The Wimbledon All England Tennis and Croquet Club and BBC 3 would be strange bedfellows indeed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement