Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fused socket - spur - Gas Boiler

Options
  • 11-07-2022 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭

My partner has a gas boiler - when the Service chap came to do a service , he found a number of issues - as a consequence- has directed that it not be used until the boiler is diagnosed and the issues identified and remedied - one issue I was hoping to assist with was that the boiler was plugged into a standard socket outlet - which is not correct - I understand it should have been connected to a fuse spur 3 amp-

my question is - if I fitted a 3 amp fused outlet in place of that socket would that suffice ? I feel that it wouldn't as the socket circuits would not work if the fuse blew from a boiler issue ? Is the correct way to take a (live) feed from the socket , fit a new back box. / fused spur - then the boiler would be covered by the fuse and not affect the socket circuit if the boiler caused the fuse to blow -

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Probably get a REC to deal with it

The most likely issue with a boiler on the socket circuit is the other way round which is a sockets fault knocking off the boiler on you

The boiler isn't likely to affect the operation of the sockets

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,289 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

I don't do gas, but a three pin plug and socket used to be an acceptable means of isolation.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

I would presume it still is if the socket outlet is readily accessible

I'm not really up to speed on it as regards gas anyhow

Probably meercat or one of the recs will be able to confirm

If I was going away during winter I wouldn't trust a 3amp fuse or a socket RCD for a boiler

Not if I don't want my house to freeze you haven't a lot of reliability with those

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

Yup I was surprised -must be newe

Thks - thought same- boiler in around 8 years - must be newer regs thanks

I have a new ish boiler and it is in around 3 years - it's wired to the 3 amp fused spur - I was told that was a requirement -

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭meercat

It would be acceptable to change the socket for a switched fused spur with a 3amp fuse and connect into that.

it is important that you check that this circuit is rcd protected however as that’s a regulation

my advice is always to put the heating on a dedicated circuit as this prevents a fault on your boiler/pump from tripping your sockets or vice-versa.

it would also be important to check that your gas pipe is bonded too

as others have pointed out,it’s best to get a rec to check it all out.

Advertisement