Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying a Bike in EU - Pinkbike Equivalent??

• 11-07-2022 11:03am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭

I have been looking at some possible enduro bikes on Pinkbike as a likely purchase but unfortunately in a post-brexit world I’d likely get raked over the coals by customs.

Even if a successful low-ball offer was accepted I’m doubtful that customs would be capable of considering that an apparently nice and shiny bike was bought having factored in that fork/shock needs a rebuild, bearings, BB & pads are toast, that it’s wearing old tires and the pedals have mysteriously fallen off.

So while there are some ads on PB from Europe they are few & far between.

I’ve sourced 2nd hand components from Germany & France in the past but never a full ride…. So I’m wondering if there is a Pinkbike, or similar, equivalent that’s more focused on Eu that I am not aware of?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Not your question but could you take a day and use the sail and rail to collect, only adds on €80.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Gorteen

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Irish ferries and Stena Line have versions of it. Rock up to Rosslare or Dublin port, buy a sail and rail ticket. Get off on the other side and get a train anywhere in the UK included in the price. Arrive, pick up bike, hop on return train (maybe even stop somewhere for a spin around). I found it really handy for trips over there. Remember you have to buy a separate train ticket for your bike at the station but they are free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Living here in the UK, there is nothing remotely comparable to the size of the pinkbike buy & sell section. There is the likes of singletracks.com or a motley collection of facebook groups that will be very regionalised, but you just wont get the scale of what can be found on pinkbikes; some great bikes to find but very much pot luck that someone happens to be selling something that is your size and at a price you like.

What CramCycle suggests would most likely be the path of least resistance.

Advertisement