Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin to Cork City, same day return journey in EV Kona

• 11-07-2022 5:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

On Thursday I need to make a same-day return journey from Dublin to UCC.

I need to be in UCC for 8.30am, so it will certainly be an early start for me but i'm looking to sense check my plans.

I reckon if I leave at 5am, it will have me in Circle K in Cashel for 7 where I can get 15 mins charge on the ionity chargers (I've never used these before.)

I will then do a similar 15 minute charge on the way home which by my calculations should get me back to Dublin City Centre with a bit of room to spare.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I'd engage in a bit of grazing, try the Cashel Ionity chargers but they're often iced according to reports

Try ESB HPC in Frankfield in Cork and see if you can get enough to get home in one shot

https://www.plugshare.com/location/34878

Not sure if there's any AC charging in UCC but there's an AC unit in a multistorey nearby

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭innrain

Cashel is a good stop especially if you start so early you may want to stop for a coffee and some breakfast. Beside UCC there is River Lee hotel with the EasyGo 50kW unit. Depending on your day you can top up there. I've done Dublin 15 to Frankfield without stop in a Kona so it shouldn't be a problem.

• Moderators Posts: 12,386 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

I pass frankfield every day at ~8am and more often than not it's not in use at that hour. You'll have a warm battery too so you should get the full 70kW into the Kona.

River Lee isn't a bad bet to use the 50kW unit from easy go.

The chargers in st finbarrs multi storey car park are 3kW though, so pointless really, and if you've free parking in UCC that's probably a better option.

At that hour of the day, you could stop anywhere on the motorway and plug in. Mayfield, ballacolla, urlingford, cashel, fermoy (new 2 unit "hub").

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 176 ✭✭al2009

I drive cork dublin regularly, 191kona 64kw battery. At current summer conditions, keeping at 120km no need to stop unless your back needs a break (leaving with full charge, arrive Dublin with 15-20% left).

Charge in Frankfield or Rochestown, does UCC not have chargers though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭zg3409

Return trip as in 550km motorway?

I recommend waiting until battery is below 40% then attempting to stop at any 50kW charger en route. If it's in use move on. If you have a passenger they can check if charger is in use on the esb app. Ionity is crazy expensive and by the time you get to cashel they might all be blocked. Trying to fill up plenty early reduces stress and the risk of getting stuck. You should try charge when battery is warm and relatively low and then move in at 80%. As you get to know your car you can stretch it further but allow an extra couple of hours on the way down and stress will be lower. Check plugshare app on the day you leave to see if any of the chargers have been reported broken as often esb app shows ok, when charger has in fact been broken for days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 176 ✭✭al2009

Yes all motorway, car will easily do 280kms on a charge, I do this weekly. If i stop it is in J14 or Portlaoise plaza, both offer decent chargers if needed, i generally only stop to take a break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

To update here for anyone looking in the future.

I had a visit to the ionity charger in Cashel on both the way down and the way back. Both times I was the only car there (7am & 6pm)

I was getting 57kw of charge, but as said above. It was expensive. 71cent kw/h vs ESB @ 46.1 c/kWh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,240 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Ionity etc are not likely to be busy at that time. Any time I've done dublin cork return in a day, there was always plenty of charging options at Ionity Cashel, Tesla Ballacolla. This also predated the Ionity installs at Kill, and J14 mayfield. Dublin to cork and Dublin to Galway are the two best covered routes in the country for FCP and HCP and multiple chargers per site

Advertisement