Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you want a general election now?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

No I don't want a general election now.

Fairly standard for SF, they done it for 3 years in the North and I don't think currently they have managed to form an assembly.

While SF was taking the great stand in the North all the politicians sat at home on full wages, so do you want a load of TD's been fully paid sitting at home for 12 months?

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Labaik

Yes I want a general election now.

An unprecedented housing crisis, FG have been in government for the last decade and more and still cannot seem to fix this issue. I cannot get my head around any Irish citizen voting in these two parties in the next election, its time somebody else had a go at trying to fix the real issues in the country which is a housing crisis never seen before and a health service not fit for purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭spontindeed

Yes. I hear from a few constituents of Helen McEntee 's illegal-migrant amnesty to nearly 20,000 migrants and it's causing big tension. One constituent I spoke to said it's worth crashing the economy if it means getting them out. I think he was referring to the opposition. This person has traditionally voted FG all his life but not anymore. Meath East.

Post edited by spontindeed on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

I'd say yes, but I could do without a Fine Gael manifesto coming through my letterbox that was written by Uber, Air Bnb and Jeff Bezos.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

FF would completely cut a deal with SF now. Ditto Labour, SDs, Greens, alphabet soups etc. The notion that no-one wants to take Mary Lou out to dinner is from the FG electioneering conclave. It doesn't stand up to reality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,639 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

So it's choice between more of the same limp government or Venezuela? Not a choice that fills me with any excitement, so it's a case of better the devil you know for me.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 16,568 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Labour is the only one of those there is serious doubt over.

But I'm pretty sure if their votes were needed to form a 'broad left' government after the next election, Ivana would have to step up...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭antimatterx

SF said in that Budget document that their priority is to build 20K homes a year. That's no going to fix anything, we're build what, 35K anyway at the moment.

I know this government isn't great, but people need to read what they're voting for (they won't).

People don't read. If any of them read what SF actual plan they would lose loads of votes, instead they listen to little video SF release which they never actual talk about what they would do, it's always a bunch of lies about what someone else is doing.

You are aware that the current government are trying to fix the issue but building houses take time. Also if you are looking at SF to fix the issue, they ran DCC from 2014 - 2019. They used to have a nice announcement letter on the SF website saying they are running DCC and they plant to build houses while running it, what followed was the lowest number of houses built in that period. The announcement was deleted after it was shared around the web as it was a little embarrassing for SF

Since then SF have rejected as many housing project as possible to force the problem to get worse. If all the parties came together to resolve the issue, like the current government asked, we would be in a lot better position. But no SF to this day continue to stop projects and of they can't stop them slow them down.

SF don't give a sh**e about the people stuck in the housing crisis, they are just numbers to them. They would be more than happy if the entire country had no house at the moment.

So when you say " I cannot get my head around any Irish citizen voting in these two parties in the next election" you don't know what is currently going on and also you don't seem to understand the SF alternatives budgets are.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,576 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

An election would also put the spotlight on the Soc Dems, the 2 old queens refused to go into Government last time but have spent the last 2 years crowing from the opposition side about this that and the other.

Although they are way too leftie lib for me they have some capable TDs like Holly Cairns, its hard to see where this party will go though.

Will they end up like Labour which seems to be doomed at this stage or manage to gain a few more seats.

• Advertisement

A lot of these people never want to and never will go into government. It is easier to sit on the sideline and tell everyone how wrong the other person is doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,023 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

No and neither do the political parties either.

i wonder is there any analysis of what fixing housing would actually look like and how many votes there would be for the likely actual outcomes.

how many homeowners vote vs dont, how strong is a collective "no council tenants beside me thanks" vote in an area, etc

and that's if anyone were fool enough to think SF could solve it, or wanted to

FG clearly dont want to. i could argue with anyone that wanted them out based on that alone

FF want to and probably could, the usual disastrous way- the last few times they went on building sprees can anyone remember how it ended?

edit: i should allow for the people who would buy their own homes but simply cannot afford it. FG programmes have aimed squarely at those but its hasnt benefited enough people.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

I'd want an SF lead government, but to give them a fair shot at delivering some of their programme, I think it would be smart to wait until the end of this term. Record inflation, housing crisis, cost of living crisis, War in Europe and Covid about to take off again are probably not the best time for a new government.

SF had the option last time but seen covid coming and ran for the hills. They waited till the other parties came together and then suddenly appeared again to tell everyone they had been blocked. Even PBP released a online letter asking why they couldn't get in contact with them. Remember they met with the Greens first

At the moment nothing is as bad as covid was going to be, as we seen even from SF in opposition they hadn't a clue and up the North it was a disaster. Who can forget Mary Lou shouting about "opening the pubs"

The only way to settle the market is supply. The built up demand cannot be resolved without building. The problem is we should be just building apartment blocks in cities like Dublin. They make sense especially when we have a poor public transport system

Yet look at Dundrum and they want a few floors of apartments and the locals are rejecting because the sun light might not hit their house in the morning. People describing apartments as ghetto's etc. The biggest problem in Ireland is the local, once they have their own house they don't give a shite about anyone else and block every building as possible. Of course with help a lot of the time with a political party like SF

It is funny the same people are then out complaining when little jonnie can't buy a 4 bed semi in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

You'd be surprised by the amount of 'I'm alright, jack' people there are here. Anecdotally, a lot of my colleagues from the posher parts of Dublin are completely oblivious to the state of housing and health when the discussions come up during after work pints.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Not A FF fan, but everyone had houses last time they went on a building spree. Knowing what happened, I'd still take it again.

what houses, where, how were they to live in and what are they like now?

i dunno. no right answers to the housing crisis but a FF solution always sells ten tomorrows for a vote today.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Ham_Sandwich

yes its time for Sinn Fein to take a run at things well be looked after if we sort them out with the dail

• Registered Users Posts: 9,413 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

No way Jose. And I don't expect one.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,413 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Catherine Connolly is the best, most honest and most intelligent TD in the Dail.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

Its a no from me and if it does happen I haven't heard anything from SF that would get me to vote for them, even this week all ive been hearing is them throwing their hands in the air saying how bad the current government is without giving a single concrete promise of what they would do differently, SF are all hot air.

I do find it ironic SF are doing their best to crash down this "incompetent" government knowing they will have to do deals with a good chunk of them to form their own government.

Part of me would also like to see an election, SF to form a very shaky grand coalition and the opposition to vote no confidence in them within the first week to see what happens

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

Mary Lou's pension is worth more than that. One rule for public sector and another for private, as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

What?

Why would I vote for somebody that's not going to do anything for my local area and do the work somewhere else?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

This thread makes me cry

It's why nothing will ever change here and things just get worse.

Stick with the lads that are driving the bus towards the cliff or change the driver and go the bumpy road?

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Windowsnut

Yes, I would like an election now.

I cannot stomach the thought of Leo being Taoiseach again in 4 months, it is the government nobody wanted.

It took 5 counts to get Leo over the line, Martin took 6 counts, yet they are at the heads of our government, if they were in the UK they wouldn't be back benchers!

We still have clamping in Blanchardstown hospital, despite Leo's first election promise to get rid of it, nearly 15 years ago!

The tracker mortgage scandal is disgraceful, we have a pillar bank described as "reckless" by the central bank yet it's CEO is given an award and the minister of Finance continues to express his confidence in the board of directors by not sacking them!

The Justice Minister has passed legislation that takes the burden of proof off banks when it comes to proving a debt, how they weren't hauled out of office then is beyond me.

But yes, keep saying you will vote FF and FG, regardless of what they actually do! You might have great tarmac outside your front garden, but you mightn't have a house behind that garden!

In the middle of the cervical cancer scandal and the mortgage tracker scandal they were writing letters to Kylie Minogue on government headed paper!!!

But definitely, give them your number 1 this time!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭spontindeed

Yes, because the Apple Tax appeal needs to be dropped. Only an alternative Government can do this.

The Apple Tax money belongs to Ireland and it will help bring about a more fairer, progressive tax system.

Voters need to dump Helen McEntee just like they did with Regina Doherty in election 2020. Same with Varadkar; what does he know about Ireland anyway. 2020 saw a massive clear-out of bad TD's like Lisa Chambers, Katherine Zappone, Fiona O'Loughlin, Timmy Dooley, Mary Mitchell O'Connor, Kate O'Connell, Seán Kyne.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

Have you thought about how a large number of people in the country feel about Mary Lou and her party? Maria Cahill cover up, Bobby Storey funeral, removing all SF support for Russia off their website recently etc and that is without getting into the recent history of the party that we are apparently not allowed mention anymore. You might fall for her friendly down to earth front but I certainly don't. I think she is absolutely ruthless.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Look for an election all you want but this gibberish about how many counts it took to elect someone is very tiresome at this stage. Seems the SF voters haven't a clue how PRSTV works. Before screaming for an election maybe understand how the system works first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

I’d like to see one, but the numbers right now make it very likely we’ll have a bigger shítshow then we currently have.

if we had an election I think FF FG and GP will lose seats. So the options are realistically a FF FG LP SD GP Ind massive rainbow coalition, have fun coming up with a programme for government there or a SF PBP Ind (maybe SD LP) coalition, again as above.

unfortunately we need a palpable opposition and we don’t have one now

Advertisement