Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intermittent fasting

Options
  • 11-07-2022 8:33pm
    Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭

I saw a few threads on this last year. I'm thinking of trying this. I'm about 2 stone over weight.

I'm thinking of trying the version where you don't eat 8pm-12pm each day.

Has anybody else tried this recently?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

Yes, tough to get going but if you stick with it great results.

Just be careful not to over eat in your eating period though.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Is there a good time to start? I'm travelling

• Registered Users Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Your environment plays a huge part in your ability to change anything. if your current environment is not contusive to making the changes you want, perhaps try to change another aspect that your environment is more suited towards.

Example: Travelling might not be a great time to start IF, but it may be a great time to get out and do more walks /swimming etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

I've been doing it for years, before I even knew what it was called. I suffered with gastritis or possible stomach ulcers (never properly diagnosed). One of the big issues I had was waking up late at night with a burning stomach. I completely changed my diet, portions and times that I eat and it's under control. Breakfast 7am, lunch 12ish, dinner no later than 3 or 3.30pm all small portions, then nothing until 7 am the following morning. So it's usually around a 16/8 hr split. I'm lucky that I work from home full time, would be harder to pull off otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

It's a fantastic way to manage calorie intake. It all still comes down to calories in v calories out so if you overindulge during your eating window, you'll still gain weight. I find myself less likely to overdo it when given less time though.

There's also all the other benefits from fasting other than losing weight. We're built to fast by default, this 3 meals throughout the day with snacks in between nonsense is relatively new to us and our bodies aren't able.

Beverly Hills, California

• Advertisement

I do run three miles three times a week but I eat too much particularly late

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Fred Astaire

If intermittent fasting helps you stay in a caloric deficit then it'll help you lose weight.

Intermittent fasting itself won't help you lose weight unless you are still eating in a caloric deficit. If you eat in a caloric surplus, regardless of the times of day you choose to eat, you will gain weight.

The best thing to do is to work out how many calories you should be consuming in a day. If you are going to the effort of changing your entire lifestyle, you may as well take the few minutes you need to work out your TDEE and find your maintenance so you know what your calories should be to achieve a caloric deficit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Yeah all good now thanks for asking, that is once I stick to a certain diet. No junk, coffee, alcohol or the real killer large portions. You really do get used to the intermittent fasting quicker than you think. I dont even think about it now it's routine.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,750 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

What you eat in a given period is far more important than when you eat it, but if IF helps you into a calorie deficit then it's worthwhile.

My natural eating pattern is pretty much 16:8, has been since I was a child. I generally only eat twice a day, my first meal anywhere between 1 and 3pm and then dinner anywhere between 7.30 and 9.30pm. I don't eat between meals. Some people would consider those mealtimes far too late, particularly dinner, but it's just my natural eating pattern and it works for me. I've never been more than a couple of pounds overweight in my life and that rarely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭neris

I've been doing it at least once a week since last September but mostly twice a week. Usually don't eat anything from dinner Sunday to Tuesday morning and from dinner Wednesday to Friday morning. Has been a big help with weight loss and once your into a routine with it you just get on with your day. You need to cut out anything that sets off hunger signals or cravings so sugars, breads, etc. Lots on YouTube about the various types of IFs

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭tamara25

I would love to lose 1 more stone, I have intermittent fasting in the back of my mind to try sometime.. following this thread…

• Registered Users Posts: 8,450 ✭✭✭AllForIt

IMO, it's a terrible strategy.

You'd be much better off having an objective of eating less. Eat when you are hungry, don't eat when your're not hungry out of habit. Aim to keep your portions sizes smaller. If you are in the mood to eat a big meal, make sure that meal is mostly vegetables.

Having said that, I find if you can skip breakfast one can go hours into the day without eating. But if you can do that do eat when you feel hungry, don't say well I won't eat till say 5pm. That is a kind of mental torture that can give you an eating disorder. And that is why I don't advise IF.

So far it's working for me. I stick to a basic enough system. I eat only between 12 mid day and 8pm.

I do have milk in my coffee in the morning.

But I find it does mean I eat less as you just run out of time.

Less evening snacks

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭GoogleBot

Be very careful with coffee comes with acrylamide associated with cancer, mold & mycotoxins.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,450 ✭✭✭AllForIt

As long as you don't find it a psychological struggle to commit to your eating window then your're fine.

I had to give it up as I'm prone to depression and I found the mornings bleak. However After a few weeks of it I found I naturally ate less

I did and I hated it. Was grumpy all morning and ate a silly amount when I was finally allowed.

Just cutting calories but allowed to eat whenever worked better for me.

But it's worth trying to see what works for you. And good luck.

Tip: When you lose the weight, make sure you have a plan to maintain weight or you can very quickly regain.

Edit: just saw your latest post and totally understand that.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭markmoto

It happens, some people get used to high carb diet. The body simply unable to produce enough ketones to keep you going as result negative mood, etc. if you train yourself over a few months you would be in a better position after that.

Initially I trained myself at night. I would stop eating 12 hours before bedtime and lose weight while in deep sleep.

Post edited by markmoto on

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Juran

I find IF easier since I gave up alcohol. Alcohol gave me hunger pangs, salts and sugar cravings. Eliminating alcohol means I never really feel too hungry, but eat 2 small meals (no processed food) a day between 1pm and 7pm. I hope to move to one meal a day to increase weightloss within a month.

• Advertisement
Advertisement