Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Blacks v Ireland part III - July 16 8.05am Ireland time

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

And sorry but Ireland best ever player is not down to longevity, its about who the best ever player is! And that's BOD.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I only listened on the radio but that battle was anything but embarrassing!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 13,692 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

It will happen , like beating NZ took over a 100 years , I expect a good upcoming WC , just rap Johny in cotton wool for a year

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭phily2002

Yeah he fell off a few tackles and turned over possession a couple of times. Think he looked a bit tired after the last 2 games, he got a lot of attention from the physios so was obvious fairly banged up, delighted for him at the end though, pure emotion

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

That was incredible. Well done Andy Farrell and all the players and coaches. Every player today was just outstanding.

Savea is some player - kept them in the game.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

No it's not just about longevity.

But Sexton has brought Ireland to levels BOD never could, and is still doing so at 37 years of age.

BOD could never beat New Zealand, Sexton has led Ireland to 5 wins in the last 8 matches and that includes a series tour in New Zealand, which no team has done in nearly 20 years.

That's just scratching the surface. Pound-for-pound Sexton's accolades trump BODs by a mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Ha. My 7 month old is in a similar boat. 2-1 in her lifetime.

Reminds me of when I was young and Ulster teams were always in an AIF and Kerry were gash. I just thought that was normal. Explains my love for Ulster football and hatred for Kerry I guess. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

I respectfully disagree. Sexton has been consistently top class. Better captain than BOD and has achieved more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭tritriagain

ridiculous to compare based on results. aybe Sexton is part og a better squad now.I would think Sexton is a better captain but as a player BOD was untouchable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

Anyone who's sitting after this tour and whinging about peaking too soon instead of just enjoying a fantastic result, get your head examined.

Take it for what it is, an historic day for Irish rugby. Enjoy today's highs instead of looking for tomorrow's lows.

Never thought I'd see the day. Absolutely buzzing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

This comment on the Guardian’s website hits the nail on the head.

“Gah! Gutted.

I just observed one of the best examples of All Blacks rugby I've seen in years. Only it wasn't from the All Blacks...

1,000% deserved by Ireland. 

Scary thing is, I think they can only get better.”

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

one word:

AWESOME!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

One of those questions that depends on the parameters of it - but Sexton has certainly been far more important to the team than BOD was. Its not much of a debate for me as to our greatest ever player anyway

It not just based on results. It's a combination of talent, results, and success.

Sexton trumps BOD. It's that simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,355 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I agree that it is shocking, and I would never have predicted it.

That said, hopefully this is the thing that finally releases us from the plague of underperformance in World Cup quarter finals. We will face a tough test in the Quarter Final next year but it’s one we should not fear.

Hopefully this allows Farrell the good will and space to use the remaining games as World Cup prep. The Six Nations only matters next year in so far as it gets us prepped for France.

It’s time to dream big lads. If we can do this we can do it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭anglesorangles

Good god that is an insanely good win but thats utter horseshit. Sexton is not better than O Driscoll. Why does everything amd everyone have to be the best currently. Instant gratification bolax.

He could be right though. But yeah maybe in the immediate aftermath a bit of enjoyment should be had rather than cold clear eyed analysis.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Unbelievable stuff from Ireland today. Great front foot rugby in the first half followed up by great resolve in the second. If the global calendar comes to pass as we think it will we may end up being the only side to ever win a series in NZ in the professional era. That’s feckin’ deadly. England have never won a series there. Ever. They’ve only ever won 2 games in NZ in 117 years. Wales haven’t won a single game in NZ and last beat them in Cardiff in 1953. Anyone talking about peaking too early or anything like that just deserves sympathy. If they can’t enjoy days like today then I feel bad for them.

But if we are to look to the future there are huge positives from today. New Zealand played their best rugby of the series in that second half. We got carded. They scored a couple of tries in quick succession and started to wrestle the momentum back from us. In previous games we would have folded. Today we didn’t. We kept our heads and got the job done. That’s huge and will stand to us going forward. If we can build that confidence and that ability to deal with pressure then we will be directly addressing what our big issue was in 2019. We piled pressure on ourselves and couldn’t handle it. Now we are showing that we can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭TomsOnTheRoof

They are going to move away from test series. Summer internationals will likely be one off tests with a trophy for the overall most successful side. Like the world test championship in cricket.

It's not utter horseshit. Sexton has achieved way more than BOD, for all of his talent, has.

And that includes a World Player of the Year award. You can tell me I'm wrong but the facts speak for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Ah lads, comparing two different players in two different positions with two vastly different careers (Irelands start and end points through the span of their careers especially) is a complete waste of time. Who cares who was “better”. Let’s all just enjoy the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,531 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Not a rugby fan. Great result though. Well done all.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,654 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Sexton has been surrounded by better players. I'm pretty shocked anyone who watched both players thinks Sexton is better. BOD any day of the week

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭joedamuss

So proud of Ireland today, the whole squad and management, you see how much it meant by O'Mahonys reaction, Ireland Abú ☘️☘️☘️

Do shut up, stop trying to suck the fun out of this. Draw a peak on a piece of paper, now tell me how do you know THIS is the peak ? simply you don't and can't. You've rightly been called out for this horseshit by many others.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭blackcard

The highest compliment that I could pay to Ireland is that for 60 minutes of the match we played like NZ and they played like Ireland. Our first scorable penalty, we went to the corner, they went for the posts. Our forwards handled the ball well, they knocked it on. We attacked with ball in hand, they put up Garryowens. We scored 2 sumptuous tries, they didn't know who to tackle. We kept our cool, they panicked.

(For 20 minutes, they were good)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Folks, if you want to have a BOD Vs JS discussion, please start a new thread. This is not the place.

Historic win for the boys, lets all just revel in it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,692 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

BOD was Ireland greatest centre , his hat trick in Paris laid the foundation for Irish glory days after a WC disaster.

Sexton Ireland greatest 10 , right now irreplaceable -

Both exceptional players , but in different positions, thats it.

Advertisement