Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Blacks v Ireland part III - July 16 8.05am Ireland time

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭septictank

Foster is very loyal to Beaudan Barrett but I think he will have to give Richie Mo'unga a run out. As Super rugby champs fly half he out played Barrett and a lot of NZ want him in the side. His style of open play coupled with the backs he has around him could open up any defence.

Laulala the tight head is a loose cannon at ruck time and tackling in general, can't help himself but ref's have his number. It does hint at Foster wanting to turn this into a more physical challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,355 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

It’s also an opportunity.

At some point Irish rugby is going to have to take on the responsibility of winning tough games that matter outside their regional competition. We can’t play all our World Cup games at home against England on Paddy’s day, unfortunately.

If we beat New Zealand on Saturday this squad will have nothing to fear come the World Cup Quarter final. There’s no reason we can’t do it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭irishgeo

What will be interesting is the set pieces, as was said their scrum was interrupted pretty much the whole game and their line out missing the best player.

Aslo I expect a tough tackling game and sexton to roughed up in the hope of getting him a HIA.

Will the ref be as tough on the ruck as the ref last week.

Its Wayne Barnes isn't it?

Its gonna be close I reckon inside 7 points. I really can't call it.

I feel like I've been here before. Not discounting NZ to bring their A game and Ireland to implode. Many reasons why that won't happen but this just feels like familiar territory in terms of hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭joedamuss

If they bring there A game and we bring ours it's a fifty fifty game, just hope Barnes is strong enough to deal with their over the top physicality that's going to come, if they rough up or hurt one of our lads we just have to stand up to them, no punches thrown or any thing, just lay down a marker that we won't put up with their filthy ****.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Madeoface

Odriscoll was asked on otb yesterday would he take a series win in NZ or semi in wc, he said series win. Losing in a semi nothing to celebrate...I didn't think of it that way.

I hope to Jeebus that Barnes has a good game. NZ looking like they have opted for physicality alright. Would love to see a win, especially 15 v 15 so the kiwi's stop whinging cards were the reason they lost 2nd test. Stick to the rules lads and ur players stay on the park.

Either way we've got Treadwell, Frawley and Coombes up another notch this tour. I'd have taken 2 wins at the start from the 5 games. Hopefully a good, tight game...I don't know what way to call it. I'd love a series win....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Barnes is a great ref and we should be ten times more familiar with him than NZ so if we can't play to his interpretations then we're fncked before we even start.

My major concern is fatigue, if NZ get on top that we'd struggle to find the reserves to come back.

At this point a win would be great but unless we get absolutely hosed the tour will be a success.

I'd say NZ by 10+

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Yea bang on I think.

We're fairly bad at chasing games and we don't have the bench to change a game so we can't let them get a few scores ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭WJL

Anyone from around Portlaoise know what pubs will show the game?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭StevenToast

If Ireland win a test series in NZ, it is the greatest achievement in Irish Rugby history....beats any grand slam...

How many teams have won a test series down there?

The Lions once ( in the 70s)

France in 94

SA and Oz i think once each....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

England won one the year before they won the World cup.

But that's it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,490 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Don't see the point behind Earls on the bench. He only covers the back 3, who we haven't subbed once so far. If he's going into the center, we're likely goosed.

Disappointed it wasn't Frawley and Larmour for back cover, with Coombes over Conan. Hope we don't come to regret that.

And while Ireland have played better, last Saturday's victory was the best one game win in Irish rugby history imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

NZ will need to try get on the ball early and hold on to it. We have come flying out of the blocks in all 4 halves so far. Though have failed to maintain that intensity. If NZ can hold onto the ball for the fist 10 minutes it might undermine confidence. Though I’m not sure their phase play will allow that to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,019 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

England won a one off test in 2003. It wasn't a series.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Im not sure that was classed a "series"...but ya..that was peak england scraping a win down in NZ....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Yeah, England played 1 game on their Australasia tour in 2003 ahead of the RWC and won. They played the MABs, NZ and Oz, winning all 3. But nobody has won a series there since France in 1994.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Earls covers 13 too, so there is sense in it. I'd prefer to see Larmour as something a bit more threatening from the bench.

Thought that idea had been put out to pasture a decade ago. Disaster in the making if it comes to pass

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

I'm not a fan of him at 13 but he was selected at 13 in our last match.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭theboss80

He covers 4 positions, only winger to dot down in test game yet, second highest try scorer in the country, 97 caps worth of experience and still so switched on himself and Larmour made a try out of nothing the other day. He's well worth his spot IMO.

I'm with ya on Coombes for a bench spot, think he's shown he can play with the big boys but again I suppose Conan has that experience I mentioned above.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭phily2002

He only really covers wing. He's been poor in all 3 games so far, his try was good but only his second against tri nations teams in 24 games. Experience is worth something but form is more important

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭LRind2008

More worried about Wayne Barnes than i am about the All blacks, Irelands win rate under Barnes is dire, Barnes also reffed Leinsters loss to La Rochelle and Irelands first loss to the Maori. We just cant seem to play effectively with him on the pitch ....granted we won against the All Blacks in Dublin with him but arguably scraped a win when we were dominant for like 70 mins of that game

• Registered Users Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

I'd have liked to have seen us mix up the bench a little bit. I'd have gone with Loughman and O'Toole. They've both gone well in the Mãori games and could do with high level exposure given our prop situation. Coombes or Timoney too. And I'd have gone with Frawley and Larmour over Carbery and Earls.

In November, we should only be using Healy, POM, Murray, Sexton and Earls for the first game v SA and then sending them back to their provinces. Use the Fiji and Australia games to give exposure to younger players.

He's a winger, period. He doesn't play any other position to a high level.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Why use Earls at all? He's not in the first XXIII, everyone fit, whereas Sexton and O'Mahony are starters on merit. I don't see why you'd lump those five players together.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Somewhat off topic , but why have all the games started at five past the hour ?

Just strikes me as an odd K.O. time

Is there a specific reason for it in New Zealand - Are they waiting for the Angelus to finish or something? :-)

Advertisement