Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Blacks v Ireland part III - July 16 8.05am Ireland time

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,534 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Hope the coaches have put Barnes in mind to watch out for off the ball stuff. Peyper definitely had it in mind last week, which helped us out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

And the side entry to rucks, if they keep getting away with infringing at the ruck we’ll be in trouble

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,534 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

With luck, he'll have memory of the mess he precipitated in the HC final, and clamp down accordingly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Par for the course with him. Total flake at ruck.

Fingers crossed Ireland can continue getting quick ruck ball tomorrow and blitz NZ from the off again. 1st try scored wins this!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

Part of me is thinking of all those points we left behind in the first two tests. What if we click tomorrow and start converting them? N.Z. would need to put up some score to win.

The other part is thinking that N.Z. very, very, very rarely lose two home fixtures on the trot. Their socks ain't black either, they are very, very very..................you know the rest!

Can't wait, might be a night of broken sleep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,329 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Can this be watched with a sports day pass on Now TV?

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

YES. I've done this before for Lions games, and the odd premier league "Super" day. Just double check ,the last time I did this was over a year ago. I got a deal on the sky package for a year because I told them I was switching provider. They threw in sky sports for free at the same price I was paying for internet and cable (without Sky).

P.S. I would set it up now and then activate at least an hour before the game, just in case of a glitch, gives ya time to sort it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

• Advertisement

OH, I'm more excited than that! I'm like a child on Christmas eve. Please tell me Santa is real and I will get what I'm hoping for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I'm down in the sticks in my FIL's place and the box has been on the Fritz all day. Seems stable enough now with the golf on in the background.

I'll be a demon of I've to watch this on my laptop in the morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

Santa is Sexton / Sexton is Santa

Old and Grey and scarcely believable that he can still deliver all the goods

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

This game is fascinating. NZ are absolutely better placed this week. Whitelock and Jordan back. Havili in at 12. This is the best NZ team we have faced on the tour.

The question is, what will they change? For me NZ look a poorly coached side in attack. Their structured attack is poor and they’ve struggled to build much pressure on us through phase play. They’re still very dangerous on transition though and their defence, despite struggling to deal with us at times, is good. I’m not sure the changes they’ve made will fix their attacking issues. It’ll definitely make them better, but the coaching issues are still there.

On our side of it, if we can start the way we did in the last two games and we can limit their access to those counter attacking opportunities we should be in a good position. Set piece will be crucial too. We can get by with a slightly misfiring set piece, but it can’t be as much of an issue as it was in the first test. Also, we are still dependent on Sexton. Lose him early and we are probably in real trouble.

I can’t call it. But that in itself is a good thing after years of knowing exactly how these series would go. Luck will play a big part, in terms of injuries or cards etc. Hopefully there’s nothing contentious in there and regardless of how it goes it’s a good game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,911 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Obviously the ref is a big factor in rugby union (too much really) but it's a bit disheartening putting a lot of our hope of victory in Wayne Barnes.

Not sure what can be done in the long run.

Barnes is a good referee. Any team putting their hopes in the officials or just looking externally in general is on a hiding to nothing. We can win this game provided we play to our potential and limit NZ access to counter. That’s all that really matter here. The ref doesn’t.

I know Wayne Barnes is a good ref, just a point in general that rugby union more than any sport, the ref has a huge input on the result of the game.

Not always. And most of the time when it’s claimed they do, it isn’t actually them. Plenty of Kiwis claimed Peyper had a big impact on last weeks game. He didn’t. The players actions that necessitated the cards is what had the impact.

Last week's game was a game when the ref was strong, and made the big calls correctly. It's not always the case in Union. Long may it continue when the game is reffed like that. I think any neutral viewer would have seen last week's big calls as fair.

It does seem the pool of international refs are in general decent. Some of the club games not so much

60-0

• Advertisement

Was the score the last time I was this exited about a third test in new Zealand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Good luck for the match. Main thing NZ fans seem to take away from this video is that Aisling O’Reilly is hot…although one commented he wouldn’t bother watching after she said it would be a turd test…oh and that our coach is not great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭tritriagain

Well said. their seems to be a mindset creeping into rugby that if your team loses it must be down to the bad ref calls .all blacks won the first test because they were the better side on the day as were ireland in the second test

I hope ireland win today but if not take the defeat in good grace and don't blame the ref . instead ask what more ireland could havecdone. that's how great teams improve.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Really looking forward to this one now, pity it’s so early, would be great build up with a few beers, coffe will have to do. Hope neither side are bemoaning Barnes at full time and we just get a cracker with an Irish win, I just can’t see it, but I’m always wrong so here’s hoping. Just glad to be excited about games again, that last moth of the season did me in as a Leinster fan!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Shehal

Its one of those games where if I'm completely honest nothing would surprise me, obviously we are expecting a NZL backlash but at the same time this is huge for Ireland and it wouldn't surprise me if Ireland also bring it today, it reminds me a little of when Ireland played England in 2018.

Its one of those games where I refuse to make a prediction because I really haven't the slightest clue because we are making it based on what might happen, NZL may respond, Ireland may view this as a historic match and respond, NZL may crumble under the pressure, Ireland may not be prepared for a backlash and collapse. Overall so many different narratives that it's nearly impossible to predict which one will happen. Let's just hope the ref doesn't make this about him and lets the game flow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Shehal

NZL will be better with these changes but we must remember all they have resorted to is more or less the same XV that was far from convincing last year so while I expect an improved performance I don't think I'm convinced just yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭TheRona

Late changes for NZ

Scott Barrett has been replaced at blindside flanker by Akira Ioane, with Tupou Vaa’i moving onto the bench, while Karl Tu’inukuafe replaces prop Aidan Ross on the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

My missus is looking at me with side eye wondering how I was able to bound out of bed yet again for this game. And yet, on other weekends manage to not hear my daughter wake at 730am.

Priorities dear. Priorities.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,787 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Certainly hurts their "in the tight" game, but their "in there loose" game improves immensely.

Ireland CANNOT kick poorly today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭TheRona

Great conditions in Wellington tonight, unlike the Maori game earlier in the week.

Advertisement