Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this a door scam?

Options
  • 12-07-2022 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I just received a visit of a supposed to be representative from Eir. He started saying that Eir is upgrading their network so they need to upgrade my connection regardless of who my supplier is.

I told him that I'm in the Siro network and not the openEir network and he insisted that even then the data comes through Eir's cabinets, and when they update their infrastructure, my Siro ONT won't be able to deal with the new power and my speed will drop. This all sounded wrong to me.

Then he proceed to tell me that in order for me not to be affected by this, they need to get me out of my contract with Pure Telecom, and they will pay for the penalty charge, as the government is paying Eir for this.

This all sounded really wrong to me. Am I right to be suspicious of this?

Comments

" ...and they will pay for the penalty charge..."

That'll be the day.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I've never seen a utilities company knocking on a door to inform me of upgrade works they need to do. It sounds like that person is trying to gather information from you or entry to your premises. There is no reason an engineer would do that without scheduling it in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 lusciousblue

I just rang the local guards to report it. Either trying to get my bank details or getting access to the house, or an Eir seller using dodgy tactics to get people to transfer to Eir without knowing

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Did you ask for an id? Then ask for a phone no. which you can ring to confirm his story and ask him to call back in an hour or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭dam099

Sounds like he is trying to get you to switch to Eir retail? Could be a legit agent gone rogue spoofing to scare more people into signing up to get more commission.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Telling porkies to get a sale. Its the only way they make any money. Never buy anything at the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,397 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

I had a similar call here shortly after the cables had been installed. Said he was from Sky, about setting up the High speed. Told him I had already booked it, he spotted the doorbell camera and started backing away, and was back in his car and gone before I could even establish what he wanted. Started saying something about me being the last house on the road getting it.

Very odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Run him out the gate if he returns....

Advertisement