Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing discontinued mains smoke alarms

Options
  • 12-07-2022 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭

We have 5 x interconnected BRK 700 series ionisation smoke alarms and what I assume is 1 heat alarm

The house is 10 years old and it's my understanding that ionisation alarms expire and need to be replaced

From what I've read, it looks like BRK no longer supply the European market and what's available out there is old stock

Does anyone know of any direct replacements, preferably photoelectric/optical, that can attach to the existing mounting plates/connectors?

If not and we'd need to replace everything, any recommendations on alarms and what kind of cost would we be looking at to get them installed by an electrician?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Ah forget the mounting plates tbh they need total replacement

EI is usually the standard bearer and I think for domestic it's heat kitchens , optical living areas and ionisation bedrooms

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Deanicus

Thanks! Yeah will have to bite the bullet and just replace them.

EI stuff looks good so thanks for the recommendation!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Ya if you're doing it DIY make sure you test the base wiring is correct before fitting heads

Advertisement