Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teachers leaving Dublin schools due to accommodation costs

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭Treppen

Ya it's a slog alright.... Or just go abroad for 4 years for a deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

Yeah, but unfortunately for teachers the places where it makes sense financially are not very desirable, the ME countries. The UK, which in other industries potentially provides higher pay, would have worse conditions than here for teachers. I worked abroad for 2 years in India in the tech industry when things were bad here. It isn't as easy as some would think. Have you tried it yourself?

Not tried it (although have spent a few months in India on holidays 😭). From a pure financial sense though it's far more lucrative to earn abroad the than stay in Ireland and dump money into rent and tax. That's what they tell me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 ManyMondays

I think for allot of people, leaving teaching is the only solution, its too hard to work in this profession, besides the difficulty getting contracts and fighting for jobs, its too difficult to sub, like you can be working for a school but if you sub even one day in a different etb or cover for a teacher thats in a different level, your wages are taxed at 40% and you spend several days trying to get revenue to put you on the right tax. Theres far too many little annoyances like that that build up and create constant difficulties and barriers.

That's true, payroll in the department are a nightmare , anyone who's ever had any dealings with them have never gotten the correct payment ...or paid on time, now I just abuse people to send a solicitors letter if you want any sort of progress, last I heard they weren't even answering the phone anymore. I presume EtBs are similar.

• Advertisement
Advertisement