Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hot Spell - Saturday 16th July onwards

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭WJL

Indeed. 29 or 32c is hot enough either way.

The UK stole our weather is another regular one. They did many things but stealing our weather isn't one. They're geographically in a much differing position. The south east of England climate is as different to our north west as Carlow to the Shetland islands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭aidanodr

@CruelSummer This may be of assistance .. Met Eireann Live Sat image of Europe inc Ireland showing the Cloud right up to NOW. Tells its own story really. Ireland pretty much covered consistently

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Thanks I’ve been using that to date. But a busy weekend ahead & trying to figure out if a beach trip will be on the cards in the west Sunday! I saw some charts posted on weather forums of % cloud cover predictions which were very useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭littlevillage

....and a happy Friday to you too !!....I hope the rest of your 342 posts are as pleasant as this ? 🤷‍♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭squarecircles

you can follow the historic record breaking weather were missing out on here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Yes the met office has issued an extreme heat warning for Monday and Tuesday 40c possible, their record temperature of 38.6c has an 80% chance of being beaten

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

@ Sryan thanks for starting the thread and for all the informative posts and the tremendous work you put into gathering information and data, do not be disheartened by some of the content being posted by some, the models will wobble slightly up and down, must remember the averages here,this is an exceptional event for Ireland, a huge brief spike in temperatures with a possible thundery breakdown.

ARPEGE showing high 20's touching 30C Sunday alone, we could barely get into the mid teens a short time ago 😀

ICON showing getting up to 32C on Mon, not to be sneezed at.

This is an invaluable thread for many reasons, I will enjoy analysing the forecasts, how accurate the models were and the temperatures that are recorded and the many posts that contribute positively to the discussion.

Keep up the great work.

im happy that Im not in London at 40°, from experience over there. That’s the temperature “in the shade” (of course) and probably only in Hyde park or other leafy places. The concrete streets will be hotter and the non air conditioned shops, houses and even offices hard to take.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I was in London in 2019 when it hit 38C, and possibly higher in the city. There was travel chaos as trains stopped running due to the tracks buckling in the heat. Hundreds of thousands of people were literally stranded with no way home. I can see why high temps there are the subject of emergency meetings and red alerts.

• Advertisement

Thought an Ice age was coming after reading through here,29c still forecast for my part of Donegal on Monday so it’s hardly that bad for most.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

Its all unravelling, isn't it? Very disappointed. I think there is going to be a collective sense of sadness and disbelief amongst us all come next week when we look at what could have been. Cruelly taken away from us at the last minute. So close yet can never get there. Whats it all for? Surely one or two days of record breaking weather is not to much to ask for? This country stinks when it comes to weather. Same boring crap day in and day out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭firemansam4

I think there was quite some interest for records to be smashed which is starting to look unlikely now.

I was also interested to see if this would happen, but for me really I was just hoping for a decent spell of weather after a pretty awful summer up here in Donegal where I am.

Temperatures still look pretty decent but looking more like the usual cloudy skies with rain some of the days now.

Stop trolling.

Same routine always.

1. So excited about weather event.

2. Detailed discussion about plans for mother.

3. I've slight suspicion it won't come off.

4. Full negativity 3 days before event.

5. Complain that certain conditions that were never forecast for Donegal didn't occur.

6. Speak about how sad you are, as if a weather event had that much bearing on one's happiness.

6. Rinse repeat the same steps for next weather event.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭firemansam4

TBF ive been keeping an eye on the models myself for where I live in Donegal and things have downgraded a fair bit from a day or 2 ago.

It was looking like a decent spell but maybe with cloud from Saturday up until Tuesday evening. And from what I can see now, Saturday could be wet, Sunday cloudy with chances of showers, Monday maybe best chance of any sunny spells, then breakdown earlier on Tuesday now with rain comming in from midday.

After a summer which has been pretty awful even by Donegal standards it is a bit disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭boetstark

Latest met eireann hype forecast for Limerick. Sunday 25 and partially sunny

Monday 26 and cloudy. But warning warning high heat. Get me a sick bucket quickly. Thank god going back to jersey 🇯🇪 next week for a few weeks of real summer ☀️

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

To be fair the fact that this poster can so reliably follow the same trolling strategy says a lot about how overhyped everything is on this forum. Almost every single potential event follows this exact same progression with inevitable downgrades to something more bland than the original forecast.

Still looks like a nice hot couple of days for much of the country so after the summer I've endured in Donegal so far I'll still gladly take it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,122 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Yeah but no sun. I'd take 18c and sunny over 27 and cloudy with the odd bit of sunshine. Anyway, at least it's something to talk about!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JDD

Yeah it's the combo of the two that really makes it enjoyable. There's literally no point to 27 degrees and cloudy. Now of course I would take it over 14 degrees and raining - our usual summer weather - but if we're going to crack out the bbq/paddling pool/ice box, we want to be doing it with some blue sky. Otherwise it just all feels rather...desperate.

• Advertisement

But if he/she isn't trolling you'd think at this stage they'd realise models are on screenshots at a particular time and no one with any sense takes them literally 5 or 6 days out.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

Sorry if I come across as trolling. Not meant that way. I just love weather and get a bit carried away when we get teased with exceptional events. I mean no harm to no one and respect everyone's take on things.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Today's 12Z radiosonde 850-hPa temperatures and wind directions. The low is still edging slightly further west to my eye.

Cheer yourself up. If you're healthy everyday is a gift. And your mam is still living. That's better than any weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Some people in here are mental. High twenties for most and touching 30s for some? This is Ireland and that is a fantastic spell of weather coming up however short it is.

The problem with Donegal and hot weather is location. If a summer plume from Spain falls a couple of hundred miles more southerly than originally forecast, Donegal, Derry etc are most likely to miss out than Kilkenny, Wexford etc. For a small country there's huge variations. Today is a cracking day of 23c in South Kilkenny. I'm not even minding about tomorrow. Today is a day to enjoy here. Sun and passing cloud, but beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Hairypoppins

More of a chance of the record going at casement I would think

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

so much negativity in here today. A slight downgrade but it's still going to be very warm to hot for most part. There is still time for more adjustments hopefully upgrades. Lets see what the 12z runs bring, tonights pub runs and tomorrows models before getting overly concerned about sunshine, temperatrues and cloud.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,570 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Yeah the record for Casement is 31.0C whilst Dublin Airport is only 28.7C.

One thing I've seen little mention of, somewhat related to cloud, is the likelihood of a plume of dust being advected northwestward along with the usual haze you get from such a continental flow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭compsys

As someone else alluded to, this isn't like winter where even a 1º change in temp can be the difference between an epic event and a total washout.

The next few days look exceptionally warm for Ireland. Let's enjoy them.

Where I am in south county Dublin it's 21º and partly cloudy today, though feeling warmer in the sun. Just back from a lovely mid-work dip in the sea, which is a nice 15º or so. Lovely summer weather already.

It's been a decent July in Dublin by Irish standards. A bit more sun would have been nice but temps have been holding up well and there's been little rainfall.

Advertisement