Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hot Spell - Saturday 16th July onwards

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,402 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Decent sea breeze here in Loughlinstown has pegged temperatures back at a very pleasant 21.3C from 25.7C before the breeze kicked in.

Paddling pool out in the garden, perfect. I'm amazed that the sea breeze hasnt pegged back the Phoenix Park temps a bit.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Really impressed stuff at phoenix park today as it pushes for 30, tomorrow could be very interesting

it’s cool enough in coastal Dublin. I’m happy enough with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭ascophyllum

Edit: not disappointed or complaining at all about the weather, it was a lovely morning and got some quality beach time in, just surprised at how cool it feels on the coast this afternoon, I was expecting a lighter breeze and temps to continue rising, delighted for the people up the country getting high temps, we did very well in the hot spell last year on the coast, any day it goes above 20 is super in my opinion. Just for statistics sake was interested to see how warm it would go in the part of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Timfy

Briefly peaked at 24.8 on my station here in Leenane, Co. Galway at around 2:30. Overcast but bright enough with a gentle breeze. Temperature down to around 22 now and a few patches of blue showing. A lovely day by North Connemara standards and pretty much bang on the forecast... Been sat in the garden all day.

You guys over in the East are welcome to 30c, that's no weather for a fat bloke like me :-)

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message, however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

I recall a discussion around the Phoenix Park station on here before, I don't think it's a well located station. From memory it has a big wall of trees as a wind break and also gets influenced by the urban heat island of the city centre

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

I don't think there's much disagreement with the high level of interest in a heatwave. We're very fond of talking about the weather both here and in the UK, even when there's nothing particularly remarkable about it. For records to be under threat is certainly worth the conversation.

The issue becomes the media overreaction to the seriousness of it all. 30° and a little over is very common in most of Europe and even relatively normal in the southeast UK, Irish people travel to these places in their droves and don't develop heatstroke over the course of a few days. The media are hyping it out of proportion which is not particularly helpful.

In that context though, it's worth noting that many people also don't holiday in hot places, so while the temperatures we will see in the next while are nothing spectacular on a continental scale, Met Éireann do have a duty of care to people who aren't used to it in terms of warning them to be careful, not to over exert themselves, wear sunscreen and take sensible precautions. You wouldn't visit Europe in the summer without bringing a bottle of sunscreen or a hat, for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

29.3C was the highest value at Phoenix before it reportedly dropped to 28.1C going by its AWS on WOW. Almost a July record. More likely than not to get hotter tomorrow anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

Are there any stations that there aren't issues with?? So if the record was reached tomorrow at Phoenix Park, there will be doubt about it? We can't win, can we?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

As far as the potential for Phoenix Park to hit 30° today, you couldn't ask for much a better setup, bar any high level clouds.

EIDW 171430Z 14009KT 090V170 CAVOK 27/14 Q1019 NOSIG

Recent report from the airport showing CAVOK (ceiling and visibility OK, no clouds of note below 5,000ft) & no significant change expected.

Tomorrow night especially in the east could be sweltering as cloud cover will roll in after a full day in the sun, trapping a lot of heat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭Dazler97

I know the dublin county record will be beaten that's 31c and 33c is expected so

• Registered Users Posts: 10,147 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

We have reached 29.3C at Phoenix Park, the highest recorded temp today so far.

It's close to breaking the highest temp for July in the Phoenix Park, which was 29.5C and the highest of all time there of 30.6C📈🌡️

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭aidanodr

I suppose we also need to factor in HUMIDITY, which does get alot higher here I think than on the continent? There you could sustain higher heat / dry heat without sweat etc pouring off you which happens here. Also impacts on you doing any sort of strenuous work

Humidity levels here up to 3pm today further down at this link

I think 60%+ is on the high side and much of the country is well higher than that now? Here in carrigaline its at 68% now

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Banarol

The 28/29's are only confined to a small pocket of the country

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

This was quite accurate. Undoubtedly somewhere got up to 30c today in Dublin.

Same model shows 34c in parts of Dublin tomorrow so I don't see that Pheonix Park all time record remaining as is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

I have a wall of trees here and regularly get 1° To 4° Higher readings than surrounding countryside.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Yeah it's not the greatest. Lots of trees, building to the SE close by, looks like a pavement within 15 metres to it's north etc etc.

I guess the argument is that it is representative of an enclosed space that plenty of the population resides in. I doubt PP is the only sun/heat trap in Dublin or the country. I think PP beats the record tomorrow as it usually has 1-2c over Casement and the Airport and other eastern stations so if we get good sun tomorrow and wind from the south - PP goes 33-34c.

Post edited by John.Icy on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭Dazler97

28 here in Carrick so warm and i should really put some suncream on me

Oh Jesus is phoenix park the new Shannon? If it breaks the record tomorrow will it not be acceptable to some? Haha

• Registered Users Posts: 9,328 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Hot in Galway now. Athenry hit 27C in the 4pm update. It certainly feels it.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,190 ✭✭✭pad199207

28° at Shannon

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Finally getting a bit of warmth in Greystones as wind turns more southerly. 22.1c atm, also high for the day so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

People questioning Phoenix park station now, hilarious. I am pretty sure met eireann are only going to have stations set up in legitimate places for tracking. In fairness we should have countless more met stations around the country in notoriously hotter spots but that's for another day. Hope Phoenix park breaks the record tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

25C in Tralee. Was 26 earlier. Very hazy but more sun breaking through now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

23c or 24c all day in Cork with a lovely summer breeze. Back from beach just now. Gorgeous, gorgeous day. Wouldn't want it any warmer tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Disappointing amount of haze all day over Bray.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭compsys

I agree the media reaction is a tad OTT but sure that's the same with everything these days. But I think it's warranted for the UK.

I was talking more about the poster who seemed to imply that we'd all look silly come Wednesday for having got interested in the mini heatwave.

Temps of 28º and over, while not unusual in most places in summer, are always something to get interested about in Ireland. And tomorrow records could fall. Just because the all-time record may not fall doesn't make tomorrow un-noteworthy.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,887 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

28C at Dunshaughlin for the past hour, very hazy sunshine tho. Would have easily got to 30C if we had proper sunshine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Assuming it's past peak a warmest day at my Roscrea AWS 26.9’C but surprisingly just 0.6’C more than last Sunday. 25.1’C now

Oranmore peaked 28.9’C but I'd be inclined to lob a couple off that due an enclosed yard on sunny days. 22.1’C now

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Strong sun now in South Laois and you can feel the heat now

Advertisement