Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hot Spell - Saturday 16th July onwards

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

A pleasant evening here in Donegal, no heat at the moment as such, a cool breeze, I was asked to close the window infact :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Got up to a respectable 25.7C here near Tralee, a couple of Km's from the coast and currently 18C. Was not far from Kerry Airport in the afternoon and definitely warmer inland, I see it was showing 27C rounded for a number of hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,147 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

9pm Sunday 17th July , (one to save I think)

Ballyhaise 25 degrees

Dublin Airport 25 degrees

Phoenix Park 25 degrees

Mullingar 24 degrees

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭almostthere12

Very strong onshore wind in Burrow beach today and Portmarnock as another poster mentioned. Only reached 23C around these parts. Surprised the rest of Dublin got so much higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭pauldry

Nearly 26c today in Sligo. Strange day though. Was dead warm a couple of times then cooler wind then roasting then clearer this evening and now a lot cooler. Temperature has dropped 7c in past 3 hours.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,887 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Still 25C here at Dunhaughlin, time for dinner and a glass of wine outside with an even hotter day to look forward to tomorrow.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

WRF did well today.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭almostthere12

Should add only 19C Sutton area now, light enough breeze whereas a few kilometres inland is 26C

• Registered Users Posts: 5,917 ✭✭✭appledrop

9.30pm, kids in bed, relaxing out the back with a glass of wine and my book.

It will be warmer tonight here than on our hols in Lanzorate and we had aircon there!

Have windows still open everywhere to try and cool the house down.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Peaked at 23c here in Cobh, currently a nice 18c outside and enough of a chill so as not to keep me awake from heat.

July 7th hotter here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

My station today. Temps dropping substantially from 4.30pm or so

22 here north county Dublin at 10pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,147 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

What a night

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭pauldry

The sky the night before Irelands hottest ever day?

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

It's the warmest evening for at least 25 years in Balbriggan. The wind shifted more south then south-westerly through the late afternoon and evening, pushing the usual sea air well away from us.

25C at sunset, peaking about 28C at 630pm

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

There's actually a high correlation. Warm upper air (e.g. 850 hPa) prevents the warming surface air from rising to higher levels, so the heat builds up more and more at ground level. 850 hPa temperature is a good first approximation of possible maximum surface air temperature by adding ~15 degrees to it, then adjusting plus or minus, depending on the location (landmass v island), time of year, cloud cover, soil moisture and colour, sea temperature, etc.

Tomorrow afternoon's forecast sounding for here shows a 22-degree 850-hPa temperature, which would suggest a maximum possible surface air temperature of around 37 C, but adjusting for the mid-level cloud cover, relatively limited land-fetch (compared to England and the continent) and fairly stiff breeze, it yields a surface air temperature of 31.4 C.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭Dazler97

22c here now in Carrick, plesent enough

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Just to concur with some points above it isn't that warm here in Cork this evening! Just pleasant in general. I would have thought the warmer uppers would be making it quite clamy but no (not yet anyway)

Perhaps the humidity is lower than would be usual is the reason...

All about tomorrow now I guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

That's it, you've illustrated the point by highlighting all the "adjustments"

There are so many other factors in play, that looking at upper temps alone is as useful as predicting snow solely by cloud cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Quite breezy in southern Laois this evening, currently 18.8c.

• Advertisement

No, all these other things being equal, the surface temperature will be a lot lower if we're talking about a cool northwesterly with uppers of 5 C, don't you agree? How come it will be colder from Tuesday onwards if it's not due to cooler uppers?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

29.3 close enough for now. I could sense your salty tears from a sweltering Croke Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,190 ✭✭✭pad199207

Looks like Dublin was warmer than London this evening 😮

Re the breakdown, you'd have to say Met Eireann talking about rain moving across the country on Tuesday as highly inaccurate! Almost all models have backed away from any form off ppn?

Having said that I see a risk of a few thunderstorms breaking out tomorrow afternoon across the South (they look isolated but with the heat and Cape available could be severe)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Current temps, the temperature base at which we kick off first thing in the morning will be important too in terms of breaking records.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

"All these other things being equal"

That's the thing, in our climate, they rarely are equal.

Don't disagree that uppers are a determinant, but highlighting them in isolation of the other factors (as often happens in these threads) is very misleading.

Take Leinster out of it and those temperatures are nothing special!

17/18 across much of the country

So why, in your opinion, are surface temperatures so much higher these few days than say last week? What's causing England's high temperatures? Number 1 on the list is the atmospheric temperature profile.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

• Advertisement

Here are articles on the influence of upper temperatures on maximum surface temperatures, written in a way far better than I can explain.

FORECASTING TRICK SERIES: ADVECTION ALOFT AND SURFACE TEMPERATURE (theweatherprediction.com)

PREDICTING HIGHS, LOWS AND TEMPERATURE TRENDS (theweatherprediction.com)

Advertisement