Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hot Spell - Saturday 16th July onwards

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Quite a long way to beat the 33.3c in Kilkenny in 1887.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

The upper air temps over Ireland over next 24 hours are unprecedented

If we manage any decent clear skies the record will go

Dublin City Centre will have never experienced such heat tomorrow than it has in its history

We are fortunate it's short lived so impacts will hopefully not be too significant

thats pretty warm for the time of night everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,911 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

The difference with somewhere like Spain is that the refuse collection would be early all year round, we only need it as an exception.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

The reality is the record is more than likely to be exceeded tomorrow (60%)

Phoenix Park or Casement seem spots to watch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Extremely muggy tonight in Bray. Breeze is gone. It'll be an uncomfortable night

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭Dazler97

I think we will break record's tomorrow 34c has to happen somewhere, but don't think England will hit 40c funny feeling it will be 39 or so

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

"That's the thing, in our climate, they rarely are equal."

And that's exactly why 850 temps are so important and the reason they are used so much in meteorology. They could be thought of as the "control" in terms of a scientific experiment. They are at a level in the atmosphere that is not affected much by local ground level variations but still affect the temperature on the ground greatly.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Taking Leinster out would be like removing the brain from the body.

High teens is not a normal night time temp in Ireland anyway so I see little to complain about really.

It's probably a more comfortable night for you than it is here in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,917 ✭✭✭appledrop

23 degrees here at 11pm, having a feeling the baby will be awake a lot tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Alot of the high cloud has pushed off east now, quite a starry night out there. The sun gets going soon after 5am again. The southerly breeze in theory should be less tomorrow and looking at other factors, the southeast will fare well tomorrow in terms of temperatures.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Bsal

23c at midnight Dublin airport

METAR EIDW 172300Z VRB01KT CAVOK 23/13 Q1018 NOSIG=

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Hairypoppins

I've been taken aback by the strength of the wind here in South West Dublin, its been blowing a hoolie here since 3pm

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Thewife

In Ireland there is no official set temperature but a temperature of 32 is often thrown around and is what most employers go by . Obviously there are different factors in workplaces so if you take a office job for instance once the company can provide adequate air con or ventilation etc to make the employees comfortable whilst doing their job , outside workers like bin men , gardeners etc will have zero temperature control so will find it more difficult to carry out their duties . I’m in west Waterford and I have seen quite a few business deciding to close tomorrow ,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,959 ✭✭✭circadian

It's feckin pants. Don't get me wrong, I love the heat but at night with no air con and this humidity? GTFO. I'd imagine larger urban areas like London are just unbearable, not to mention those on the continent.

Best of luck with that. My guys are a little older but one of them really struggles to sleep on the heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Ballyhaise, in Cavan, recorded 23 degrees at 22.00. That’s exceptional.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,887 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I'm loving this spell of hot weather but i'm not used to 21C in Meath after 1am and no air conditioning. Feels similar to when I was a child staying in my grand aunt's apartment in Fuengirola mid August with no air conditioning. Won't be much sleep tonight! Tonight is stifling and tomorrow night may be several degrees warmer.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Still 20C at some of the Dublin stations at 1am, so a tropical night for the moment, but no doubt both will dip below 20C before dawn.

The breeze is a Godsend though, I've had it blowing through patio and balcony doors since I came back from the beach at 9pm and the house is quite comfortable now.

I recall the heat one year ago this week, which although lower in temperature, had very little or no wind with it and nights were stifling.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭pauldry

Last year was way warmer than this in the West. But got 26c today and 30c tomorrow is comparible to last year. But at 6pm the heatwave ends in Sligo tomorrow with cloudier conditions and the dreaded NW wind returning.

I'd say the max tomorrow will be about 14c above the min. So far the highest min is 20c but below 18c and it will be very hard to challenge records. 19c min could give a 33c somewhere in the East or Shannon's tar!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

It was 12-14C widely across the country at 3am on the 1st of January this year

https://ogimet.com/cgi-bin/gsynres?lang=en&state=Irel&osum=no&fmt=html&ord=REV&ano=2022&mes=01&day=01&hora=23&ndays=1&Send=send

The fact that one of the hottest airmasses we've ever had can only manage a few degrees higher than that is interesting

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Does not look like anywhere managed a tropical night. Casement reporting 20c at 0500 but dropped to 18c earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Wouldn’t have managed a tropical night either way as each of the 3 Dublin stations were below 20C at 0900 yesterday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

Extremely difficult night, really not set up for coping with this heat in work today with no sleep. Casement is my closest station. Also quite some temperature difference at 6am - 20C at Casement and 13C at Dublin Airport.

But Casement down to 18C at 7am and Dublin Airport up to 16C.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭squarecircles

A thick sea fog is how we ended the day in west mayo,having clouded over earlier in the day with a cold sea breeze, this morning there's a thick misty fog.

The entire 4 day fine spell was complete garbage here, the nights werent even warm.

It's interesting to learn though that in ireland having record breakingly high 850s temperatures can still provide complete trash at the surface...i mean really that's a sign to just give up.

Hideous piss myre of a place.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

Today is of interest for the mid East of the country only. My brother lives in West Dublin. He said it was sunny this morning at 6.30am, now its gone cloudy. Not the start you want if you're looking for 30°C plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Timfy

How far up the coast are you Squarecircles? On the Galway/ Mayo border, next to Killary Fjord which is a fog magnet, we had a beautiful clear evening with temps still up at 18°c at 10pm. Bought a fire pit last week, using it filled with water to keep the beers cool!

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message, however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭United road

Well i can tell you in south county Dublin the sun is out and not much cloud around at all!

its far better on that front than at any stage the entire day yesterday!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

South Dublin is blue sky as of now anyway with only a passing cloud here and there. Lovely morning & already feeling quite warm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,917 ✭✭✭appledrop

It was stunning in NCD until about 5 mins ago, now its gone cloudy, hope this is just a blip.

Advertisement