Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hot Spell - Saturday 16th July onwards

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Overnight minima (air and grass). Casement seems a warm outlier. I wonder what the Phoenix Park got to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Just a small finger of cloud moving up across the country. Brief (for Dublin).

If no major cloud happens, the record goes today I think. PP the obvious candidate but it would be great if another station also could get into the 33s too. Casement perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Beautiful blue skies in Dublin this morning, was cloudier this time yesterday. Hopefully a good sign for day ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Stunning morning in Dublin 8...not a cloud in the sky...very warm already

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

He said it has broken up now and the sky is looking much more blue. It wasn't grey cloud but it was enough to obscure the earlier sun. I'll be keeping a close eye on the Dublin area today from a very pleasant SW Donegal. I'd say it will get warm here too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Fingers crossed it stays this way. While still a great day in Bray yesterday, I can't help but feel disappointed it was very thick hazy virtually the whole day. While we never reach the inland highs here with the sea breeze, it was 26ºc with a warm breeze, yet still not comparable to a 26ºc day in Summer 2018 with the direct Sun actually heating ones skin. Now that felt 'HOT' and something I couldn't sit out in for more than a few minutes. Yesterday if I wasn't working to serve the massive crowds, I'd have been capable of sitting out in it all day. Would love to see high 20's in Bray today with the clear skies, just because I don't think I've experienced it before...while at the same time I probably won't be able to tolerate it. LOL

After today and the first half of Tuesday, its next weekend I wan't to now know about. Airshow weekend in Bray with probably 100,000 Visitors to the town.

Dublin stations already recording 20 degrees at 8am, nice start to the day

• Registered Users Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Casement 19.8C

Oak Park 19.5C

Dublin Apt 19.2C (12.9C 2 hours ago)

Phoenix reportedly 19C, 18.4C on its AWS

Will provide the table like I did yesterday when more hours come in but more updates as I was busy yesterday evening. Added Shannon and Oak Park this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Probably for another thread (apologies mods) but Airshow Sunday at the moment looks like a wash out

• Registered Users Posts: 15,402 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Temperature going parabolic this morning in south Dublin, I dont recall it ever rising so fast. Its currently 23.7C at 08:25!

The sea breeze will of course kick in here sooner or later but inland I can easily see this being something special.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,190 ✭✭✭pad199207

Up to 22c in Kildare now

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

High of only 22.7c yesterday down the coast in Greystones yesterday. Hoping we should fair a lot better today with less wind and a more favorable wind direction.

As above, currently Met E showing heavy rain for Sunday. 🤨 But, still too far away to be sure. Really hoping for a fine day as looking forward to the airshow (....from the sea side/by boat).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Stunning morning in West cork. Currently about 18 degrees (cooler then up the country) but pure blue skies and a refreshing breeze at 8:30. Literally perfect

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Dull, with a grey gloom.

Forecast high 20.

Trash.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Evelyn on the radio a few minutes ago and she was not confident about any records being broken today however she did expect temps to get to (or just over) 30c.

Completely overcast, should be sunny soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Which is high but not exceptional.

Over the years we have seen temps of 30C with almost little media coverage.

In fact it's usually accompanied with a week or two of fine weather, not 36 hours lol.....jokes aside its nice to see us have a go at the record

• Registered Users Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭OldRio

When I see or hear people with this 'attitude' you can almost guarantee that they have never read any Health and Safety documentation. The most dangerous task they undertake is drinking a cup of tea without scalding themselves.

I spent nearly thirty years in a job that without Health and Safety I would be dead, without a doubt.

Good God man the refuse company are only trying to make the job a little easier for their employees in this heat. Is it that difficult for you to have empathy for them?

I'm beginning to think that I should have stuck with my first entry into the temperature competition. I think I had 29.8°C before changing it based on the very bullish forecasts. If we fail to get 30°C out of what is a unique set up, then it's time to question if 33.3°C is truly the highest temperature and if breaking the 33°C barrier is scientifically possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

This is the third time you've questioned 33.3c it has been said to you that the record stands having been investigated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

More nonsense in the media this morning, this time AA Roadwatch warning that "due to the high temperatures, motorists are warned of the dangers of sun-glare". As if the sun only shines when there's a yellow warning out.

This is more evidence of the way people get swept along in the hype and can't stop to think for themselves.

Surely after 130 years, this record should have fallen by now? No other country's highest record has stood for so long. The weather conditions at the time of the record were not exceptionally hot in Ireland or Europe so how did such an outlier of a temperature occur?

Faulty equipment or mis-readings. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

What are you talking about? It was literally 31-32 degrees in Ireland as recently as last July (shannon and mount dillon from memory), hardly unthinkable that we could have recorded 33. In fact I can recall a large number of occasions since as recently as 1995 that Ireland has exceeded 30 degrees, I think it has happened during about 3-4 summers over the past 10-15 years alone. looks likely to happen again today.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭pauldry

17c and cloudy in Sligo. Met Eireann has altered their forecast to include Northwest sea fog but they forecast 31c for Sligo for today only yesterday so let's see how close they get.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

What's the record temperature for Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Just turned on the central heating, house feels damp from the heavy sea fog and mist overnight.

I think the record for Dublin is either 31 or 32, not totally sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,329 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Lovely sunny morning in Galway. Took the day off to make the most of the weather.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Phoenix park 23 degrees at 9am. Dublin airport, Casement, Dunsany and Oak Park all at 22

• Advertisement

Yes I'm aware of the temperatures last July. If its hardly unthinkable that we could have reached 33° C, why didn't we? Or why didn't we in 1976, 1983, 1995? We come close but seems that it is beyond what is meteorologically possible in Ireland at this time. This setup we have at the moment is perfect if we want hot weather, the uppers, the origin of the heat etc all coming together at the right time and yet it looks unlikely the 33°C will be reached. If this cannot produce a record temperature, then what can? Perhaps maybe if this plume of hot weather lasted for another few days, we may have a chance, but would such an event last more than a few days before cloud, thundery breakdowns, would start getting in the way?

I want to see the record fall, purley from a personal interest in the weather but am beginning to think that getting above 33°C on an island such as ours, given our location and Atlantic influence, is likely impossible.

Maybe in 40 or 50 years due to Climate Change? Who knows.

Advertisement