Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hot Spell - Saturday 16th July onwards

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

A lovely sense of continental warmth in Cork this morning - sort of like that nice breezy heat you get on an early morning on a beach.

Now happily (for once) locked inside an air conditioned office for the day. I'm the only one in it so it is pleasantly baltic in here! Hoping we don't break records personally as my 75 year old parents will suffer.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭ascophyllum

Sun just came out in West Mayo and holy **** it is hot, that's the quickest I've ever felt the temp jump from sorta warmish to full on dead heat, happened in minutes! Thank you anomalous upper air temperatures 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

2006 was hotter than this. where I am at least

• Registered Users Posts: 22 peckypiper

Big heavy drops of rain in Meath Cavan border wasn't expecting that!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,579 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Currently raining in south armagh and cloudy rain wasn’t even mentioned in forecast

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭pauldry

Really? Are you sure it's not your hanging baskets?

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭barneyrub

Just went outside. Definitely cooler than yesterday at this time.

Sun trying it's best to get through. Cloud still quite thick but breaking up a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 7,190 ✭✭✭pad199207

Has just hit 27.0c in Kildare now

Currently 25c Pheonix

31c UK

35c France

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

I wonder was Evelyn to quick to pour cold water on the potential for today? With stations reporting 25°C at 10am surely must bode well for 4pm, 5pm today? Unless cloud or breezes kick in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭boardlady

I have to agree! I've been pleasantly surprised by our summer so far - I know it varies hugely from region to region, but I think I also set my bar quite low. I'm in the south west and on the coast so it is often chillier than others. This is Ireland folks, lets not forget that. A dry day with a reasonable temperature is something to rejoice in! And honestly, I love our climate's diversity in every way and I really enjoy reading these weather threads as someone with a huge interest but no scientific knowledge. I consider myself very lucky really to be Irish, living in Ireland and loving the climate! 🙈😁

• Registered Users Posts: 22 peckypiper

Might be a thunderstorm risk today, very dark clouds near overhead

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

26°c in Casement at 10:30am

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,887 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Good morning everyone, Not often I wake up to it being 26C outside. If I can get another 5C that will be the temperature record in Meath completely smashed.

27.4c in Kildare now. Rising quite quickly I really must say

• Registered Users Posts: 5,917 ✭✭✭appledrop

It is absolutely swealting here in NCD.

Spent 10 mins in direct sun hanging out clothes and sweat was starting to pump out of me🤣

There will be no walk today, a day to chill in back garden with paddling pool on the go for my son.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,887 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Temperatures in the UK could be on track for beating their record today, Whatever they get today will be beaten again tomorrow. I think getting to 33C here today is going to be a close call but I really hope one of the official stations gets to 34C. If we can't do it today then whatever we finish with today is probably the max we can achieve on this island as we have never had uppers this high before in our lifetimes and the sun is properly strong today. The one thing that could prevent this from happening is the sea breezes. Now if only we had another day of record heat tomorrow we would definitely 100% break the record.

Currently a 10C difference between Dublin and Mayo and a 5C difference between Dublin and London. Still exceptionally impressive for this early in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭lolie

Yesterday got up to 27c(going by local weather stations) and it's already a few degrees warmer this morning compared to yesterday morning.

Weather station covered in midges, never seen that before.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

You're entitled to your opinion, but I've replied to you before several times about the 33.3c record. I also pointed out Markree's 33.3c set in 1851 and that top temperature came in a run of four days all above 32c. So with that said I find it rather unusual that you still doubt 33.3c being recorded in Ireland. The Kilkenny thermometer was checked roughly two years after it's 33.3c and found to be 100% accurate as StratoQ said over on the UKWeatherWorld forum. There was similarly high temperatures in Waterford (Tycor) on the same day in 1887.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Durrow AWS 25.1c

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭spoonerhead

After spending last week in Malta & then London, to come back this is bliss.

Also much more manageable in Malta than in Ireland, between humidity & lack of AC everywhere….

27C now in Dunshaughlin and it ain't 11am yet! That's just incredible really for this location. The record here in Meath is going to go.

Found my post from 11am yesterday morning and it was 23C, so that's an extra 4C on this time yesterday and we reached 28C yesterday.

Wow! Got wow to work on PC. It doesn't work on mobile. 19.1c in Markree now. Think 1851 is safe. But last year I think it got 30.3c so let's see if that's beat. Quickly cools down around 6pm this evening with return of NW.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

Up to 29 in Trim on wow.met.ie - i assume this isn't included as it isn't an official station?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭esposito

Exact same here in SCD. I’m wearing the lightest of t shirts and was still sweating buckets after my walk.

Absolutely loving this continental feel though. A swim will be had after work.

28c at Naas at 11am

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

It was lovely here in Stepaside yesterday, though "only" 24 so not the scorcher we were looking forward to.

Dropped my daughter to camp at 9.30 and it was already 22. It's 25 now and it's only 11am. Today is going to be hot for sure.

just looking at XC Weather, I've noticed Edinburgh Airport is another one of those airport locations that is several degrees higher than surrounding areas during very warm weather.

Dublin airport 27°c at 11am.

Don't think I've ever seen that before.

• Advertisement

Wow, casement at 29°c at 11am. Now that's incredible.

Advertisement