Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hot Spell - Saturday 16th July onwards

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Where is all this cloud? Wall to wall sunshine in Trim, outside temp on my WS is now showing 32.1C (in shade). Office temp (in converted attic) is 30.1C.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,402 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Does anyone know if this is an official station?, taken from WOW

There's quite a cluster of warm readings to the NE of the city, exactly as predicted :

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Yes, well sort of!

I technically have two weather stations. One is a Davis (My own personal AWS - reports to www.laoisweather.com) and I also have a Stevenson's screen supplied by Met Eireann along with all the thermometers. These are manual thermometers that have to be inspected and recorded every day at 9am UTC (10am summer time) which I do. All this data is sent to Met Eireann once a month, however if there is an interesting observation such as a very high temperature, high rainfall, low temperature, etc... I would contact Met Eireann and let them know.

I contacted Met Eireann last week as the maximum thermometer was showing signs of a slight fault. The readings were fine, but they agreed to replace the maximum thermometer here this morning in case of record temperatures hitting this region - which looked plausible going by the charts late last week.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,887 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

31C now at Dunshaughlin. Record SMASHED!

However cloud has pilled in so that may be the max here for today unless the cloud breaks again within the next hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

29°c at both Dublin and Shannon airports at 1pm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

Near total cloud cover in Stepaside now. Temps definitely falling back to low twenties. Lets hope that prediction of the sun returning in an hour are true! Still a lovely day outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

32.1C in Brownstown on Wunderground: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/IARDMU1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

Down to 29C at Casement at 1pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Apothic_Red

Casement dropped 2C

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,887 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Unfortunately that big bank of cloud has spoiled the Irish record, we're not going to do it. Even with a few hours of warming to go, once it's cloudy that can hold back temperatures by 3 to 4C easily. That bank of cloud needs to shift into the Irish sea away from land asap.

It does look like it's starting to edge further into the Irish sea so we might be in luck if the sun is back strong and unbroken between 3pm to 5pm, fingers crossed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Absolutely sweltering in Galway. Barely a breeze and unbroken sunshine.

The cloud is heading NE, skimming some areas just and others avoiding it, there is a smaller narrower “band” behind it. Unless more bubbles up behind that then the sun will return.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Once the cloud cleared here in south Laois, the breeze eased off and temperatures have shot up. Davis AWS reporting 27.2c (Manual thermometers likely higher)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

No, you can tell if it's an official station by going to the station page and look at the site details. If it says Met Éireann, it's official. Official stations will also tend to have ACS or AWS at the end of their name.

A new July record for Phoenix Park and second highest temp on record (since reliable records began in 1881). Highest is 30.6C in August 1990.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Unfortunate timing alright but it's far from over yet, that cloud is about to clear and it's still peak solar heating time.

Dunsany and the Park both at 30C at 1pm. Record breaking stuff for Meath.

Shannon at 29C. If shannon area has no cloud rest of the day they could get very close to the record and take over from Dublin/Meath.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭snowgal

were very lucky here near Trim so, still blue skies all round and very very warm!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Just hit 27 in Galway

Monitoring that cloud bank very closely, it does appear to be making quicker progress into the sea now finally, but we still have another hour of that cloud before it leaves us and then that all important 2 hour window between 3pm to 5pm has to remain clear, blue and sunny.

~ 29.8C at Dunsany @Gonzo Highest since July 1983 (30.3C).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,361 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

My computers location is set to Dublin city centre and its saying that its raining and forecast to rain until 4pm. But I presume that's a glitch ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,190 ✭✭✭pad199207

Wouldn’t it call it yet Gonzo. Very clear looking behind it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,997 ✭✭✭Christy42

My own is telling me it is raining outside my apartment in Kildare. It is currently bright blue skies with just a few white clouds around. Pity, I care less for the record and more for the fact that I am far too warm so I could do with the rain!

Also 30.3C at Navan climate station, the highest in County Meath as well since July 1983 (30.7C).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭Mech1

Yes!!! Breaks in the cloud allowed my temp reading to stay only 0.1 degrees below 29.8 max and its returned back to that now.

D16.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,406 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Your computer looks at the local weather radar to identify precipitation in the near term. The radar in and around Dublin (particularly South Dublin) is ruined due to ground clutter, the Dublin mountains, WiFi links and the like. The radar is no good at county scale for Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,514 ✭✭✭Dazler97

I hope we get a 34c somewhere on in the Midlands or east, that cloud could burn off

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

How's the UK getting on? Any close to 40?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Looks like there's rain heading for us on the south coast? Didn't expect that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Just left the AC to venture for lunch, less than 1km from the weather station at Dublin Airport. Can confirm it is absolutely bleedin’ roasting.

Car says 30 degrees, airport 29 but the car was surrounded by tarmac so that will be making up the difference. Airport WS is in a large area of grass (as it should be).

Was in Berlin recently when it was 36 degrees and also Stockholm & Helsinki where they had a bit of a heatwave at 28 degrees. This feels closer to Berlin. Drier heat.

Advertisement