Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hot Spell - Saturday 16th July onwards

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

during the July heatwave last year the skies were solidly deep vivid blue. Everything today was hazy or clouds drifting by. We would be looking at temperatures of at least 34C if we had deep blue skies with unbroken sunshine.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,380 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Left my phone in the glovebox of my car. Its almost hot to handle and wont turn on !! Curse you weather gods!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

Phoenix Park dropped to 30C at 4pm.

Record won't be beaten today now surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭adam240610

Broke out a rum milkshake, feeling right tropical now in greystones, thermometer peaked at just under 32 in the shade where I am

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Phoenix Park down to 30c at 1600. Cloud!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭SophieLockhart

Wow, down to 30 on the 4pm PP readings :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Phoenix Park 30C 4pm. Looks like 33.0 is todays highest temperature. Sadly the clouds and haze just stopped us from smashing the record.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Gogerddan in Wales has reached 35.3°C and broken the previous record of 35.2°C at Hawarden Bridge.

Cavendish in Suffolk is currently the highest temperature in England with 37.5°C, followed closely by Kew Gardens at 37.4°C.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Oak Park, Mt Dillon and Ballyhaise reporting 31c at 1600.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,169 ✭✭✭pad199207

That’s too big of a drop at Phoenix for it to redeem itself I’d say

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭WJL

The difference with pressure on the low side and a Spanish plume compared to high pressure heat. Still a good hour to top 33.3c.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Tigerbaby

About 2 km from the Phoenix Park as the crow flies, in Castleknock.

I have never felt anything like this in Ireland. I hydrated and stayed indoors.

Broken Cloud here now so think we wont see the National record.

Also, it feels relatively cooler than around 2-3 pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Temperature has dropped about 3 degrees from it's peak here in D16.

Might need a coat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

There was a poster on here who posted about work he did on a very old weather station and he said they were amazed to see how accurate the old mercury thermometers were and all of the other measuring instruments as well.

I'd say that's it unless dramatic cloud clearance. Showers look like they are on there way to Dublin now.

8 Official Met Eireann stations reached 30C or more today, that is extemely impressive. Usually only 1 or 2 stations reach 30C and it's usually either mt Dillon or Shannon. Great to see so many other places reach 30C or more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

That pesky cloud. Had the cloud stayed away for another 30 - 60 mins i reckon Phoenix park would have got to 33.5 or 34. Damn you cloud!!! Still 33.0 degrees is very impressive

• Registered Users Posts: 6,671 ✭✭✭SteM

Just went to stand in the rain, was bliss :) Didn't last long though.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭iancairns

Callan Town 33.9c!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

31.5 in Kilkenny where I am

Highest I've seen the temp gauge at

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭pauldry

It's dropped a few degrees in Markree from 27c to 24c. Still over 31c in many locations so many records broken. National may have to wait another year or two. Its inevitable its going to go in the next decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Yes, more towards the coast the sea breeze has brought the temp down (& the tide is just full now) I think they assisted in bringing the temps down too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I'm a bit west of that station and can confirm a fair amount of rain fell. Enough for me to rush out and take in the washing.

Damp squid.

33C is a great max.

Within the next decade it'll go. If we get a reload late July/early August, who knows. Days are a bit shorter. But it's really wind direction and getting prolonged sunshine does the trick. So very possible if the continent stays hot.

UK broke an all time record as laste as 8 August 2003.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

But to get a plume airmass here in the first place involves having low pressure immediately to our west which is destined to mix in some instability like we're seeing today. When we get wall to wall sunshine it's usually with high pressure sat on top of us and the heat tap already cut off so we're relying more on homegrown heat which is never as hot.

As I mentioned earlier today really reminded me of the UK's record being broken in 2015, sunny morning, instability leading to clouding over but then an hour or two of sunshine where the record was broken before back to cloud. I reckon today is about as ideal as we'll see in terms of synoptics but unfortunately looks like we've just about missed out

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Hairypoppins

Just had an almighty downpour here in South West Dublin, everyone went running for their lives from their paddling pools

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Hairypoppins

Blazing sunshine back out now ,crazy stuff this

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Apothic_Red

That WOW site is the worst piece of crap since the RTE player

What today shows is how possible it is to reach and surpass 33.3. No doubt that June day in 1887 was something special.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

I can't believe that I got soaked in that shower just a few mins ago. But it was a lovely relief on my walk to the shops.

Advertisement