Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hot Spell - Saturday 16th July onwards

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭squarecircles

• Registered Users Posts: 15,491 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

When you step back and think of

dirty wet and cold nights in November when the wind is driving the rain coming sideways and there’s all sorts of sea forecast warnings being issued (god knows anyone into sports training will know all about it)

Or the all too rare Siberian air flow beast from the east leading to cold frigid air and dumplings of snow and ice on us...

and compare it to today - it’s some difference....

Ireland’s climate never ceases to surprises !!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

31.7c i got here in meath now from 30.8c around 3pm, house is like an oven

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The sun is back very strong again in Dunshaughlin for the past hour, Still 30C here. A truly remarkable day, i've never experienced anything like this ever in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,354 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Has Newport furnace failed to live up to its name ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Ok Cool the jets, I am not that bothered about it and personally I couldnt care less which county holds the record. I am just saying there are probably dozens of stations that you could pick some sort of issue with that are imperfect from a location perspective. I am a frequent visitor to Phoenix park and I definitely never get the sense that it feels somehow warmer than other parts of the city. The reality is the other Dublin stations were reporting 30 and 32 so its not like PP was throwing out crazy high figures in comparison. Even if PP wasnt the highest temperature today, Casement was right there just behind it at whatever it reached around 32 degrees.

I certainly am not precious about Phoenix park, I couldnt give a flute which station reports the highest

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Still some warmth for tomorrow in eastern areas, but temperatures well down on today everywhere especially in western areas where the atlantic air will be back in business by the morning. A 25C or 26C still possible in Leinster early tomorrow afternoon before cooling off quickly towards the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

There are a few places where Met E record temperature that are less than ideal but they continue to record there because those sites have a history of recording. I don't know how long Met E are recording at OSI in phoenix park but if someone came in and said "over 100 years" I would not be surprised. The ability to look at trends over long periods of time where other factors can be discounted is the reason for retaining the stations - but that can mean that the absolute readings are not representative of the true general conditions.

Met E doesn't bother with wind readings at phoenix park because the readings would be next to useless because the station is influenced by trees and buildings. That itself is an acknowledgement that the site of the station is poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

This temperature is second only to the record of 33.3°C measured in Kilkenny Castle in June 1887. Met Éireann has said this remains Ireland’s record temperature but doubt has been cast on it in recent years

Quite a few with an axe to grind about Kilkenny's 33.3c. They don't even acknowledge Markree's record from 1851. But then again, B-rated news sites masquerade as views sites really:

The UN’s IPCC has said that global warming has caused an increase in the intensity and frequency of extreme weather events.

The world has already warmed by about 1 degree Celsius since pre-industrial times due to human activity, and the IPCC has warned that global heating is virtually certain to pass 1.5 degrees Celsius above pre-industrial levels, probably within a decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,148 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Amazing that today produced the highest ever temperature seen in Ireland during the 21st and 20th centuries.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Few sparks off mayo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭Storm 10

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

A good degree or more is kinda huge in weather terms though. More often than not it’s out there on its own and that’s including later arrivals of data from other official readings in Dublin (such as Galsnevin etc). It’s not being in the park that’s the issue. It’s the OSI grounds it’s nestled in. You’ve the whole expanse of the park yet a weather station is nestled in the densest enclosure of trees in the park and a building right on top of it and also a large concreted area on top too. It’s just not great and it’s not a case of the whole park being warmer than the rest of Dublin, it’s IS the station setup an influence on the readings. Just like with Shannon and the big car park. And yes, many stations probably have issues. My point is let them be discussed and not be dubbed as “hilarious” if someone has an issue.

As someone based in Dublin too it’s really frustrating to have a cool station in the airport and an always warmer than everywhere else nearby station as my closest stations. Casement is a little far away and the likes of Glasnevin on WOW is nearly always offline. As you said we need more stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭bazlers

Hi All,

Been away for a while but what was England's Max temp today? Did they get anywhere near 40 degrees? Apologies if this was already mentioned.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

A couple of 38c's so far today but tomorrow is forecast to be hotter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Is the Sligo one official? So today is the 3rd highest reading and not the 2nd?

I remember a day in 2016 where I believe Markree got to 29 or 30 and was the warmest station in the country. Good spot for heat when the eternal Atlantic drizzle and coolness stays away.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Thanks for that. If one is looking at phoenix parks readings in absolute terms, the Stephenson Screen is 10m from a large expanse of asphalt, sheltered on two sides by buildings that are at least two storeys in height and completely encircled by a copse of trees of radius 50m. If you went 400m to the east, into open parkland, the air temperature would be quite different. The station is where it is though.

When looking at individual stations like this you can assume that the influencing conditions have remained pretty similar so you can compare year to year. You need to account for changes in the site though that make such comparisons less valid. I don't think there is any real value in comparing PP values from the 1930's and today given how the site has changed and been developed.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Timfy

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message, however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Well, I'm happy with how we did in Cobh. Hottest day of the year at my station. Good to compare it to last year too.

2021: Max temperature 26.2 degrees on the 18th July

2022: Max temperature 26.2 degrees on the 18th July

No thats not a typo.

The hottest days of 2021 and 2022 (so far) were exactly the same temperature to within 0.1c and occured on the same day. Hows that for a ridiculous coincidence?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

There is a big variation in temperature in just a small distance. I am about 150 meters from sea in dublin and it is not that hot. Yet the phonix park hit 33c. Which is about 4 km from the sea

• Registered Users Posts: 13,570 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

It is official, just it pre-dated standard instrumentation. Same with how Phoenix Park has records since 1851 for temp but until 1881, it used less than standard methods of measuring. So for that reason, those data are disregarded from the climatological records today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭squarecircles

To think im shivering with goosebumps now and had to turn on the central heating this morning on what was the warmest day in the country in over 200 years.

Which is testiment to what an atrocious pile of horse manure our climate truely is.

Post edited by squarecircles on

Dunsany, Casement, Ballyhaise, Gurteen and Mt Dillon all 30C at 6pm. Amazing.

Yes, Markree is an official station. Interestingly it holds Irelands record cold temperature ( -19.1c in 1881) and joint-holds Ireland's highest temperature ( +33.3c on June 27th 1851)

That blast of heat went on for four days and ended in a massive Thunderstorm: https://www.jstor.org/stable/20489719?seq=2#metadata_info_tab_contents

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Anyone know what the max temp in Galway was my station registered 29.3 but I would be sceptical of that number

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭mcburns07

In fairness if you compare to somewhere like New York. -10 and a foot of snow in winter to mid 30s now and mid 20 mins…. Our climate is pretty boring and devoid of extremes 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Hairypoppins

Any posters have any sunshine dis evening?gone dull here in South West Dublin still very hot though ,30 degrees at 6pm

Personally I don’t doubt it, M.E have it there as the record who am I to disagree. It works both ways though, there are people who cast doubt on pretty much every new record, who then get their knickers in a twist when someone questions the record from the 1800s. As I said, it goes both ways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭pauldry

Last year's high 30.3c in Sligo this year only 27c though Met Eireann said it would be 31c here. Maybe itl go up 11 degrees before midnight!

Advertisement