Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hot Spell - Saturday 16th July onwards

Options

Comments

Derrylin 31.1c close to Castledergs record 31.3c last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭highdef

The Phoenix Park is more than 4km from the sea, even the easternmost part of it. The weather station in the park is about 10km from the sea. I mentioned in an earlier post that I left my parents home in north Dublin around lunchtime today (also just a few hundred metres from the sea) and the car thermometer was reading 22°. Half an hour later, I was getting 32° as I drove down Chesterfield Avenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭snowgal

Yes all clouded over here near Trim, literally just as I got in the door! A few drops of rain now too, but still very warm….I’m sitting out anyway, want to enjoy the hottest day 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 6,838 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Topped out at 31.7C at 1600

All I want now is a wrath of God Thunderstorm to wrap it up 😁

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭dacogawa

The highest unofficial reading I've seen from today, did anyone find anything higher?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

It does indeed go both ways. Some people are insisting that climate change is 100% human driven and base this on ~1c increases over weather records made in the 1800s, then go about selectively cutting some records from the 1800s dataset they base their assumptions on! In some extreme cases homogenise the data.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

What an incredible day for Dublin and the areas that had 30°C or more. Remarkable temperatures.

Anyone else feeling a sense of disappointment that we came within 0.2 of equalling the all time national record? So close yet so far. Will we have to wait another 100 years or more to have another serious stab at it?

Yeah well I’m not going to derail this thread with CC talk, some people are obsessed with constantly bringing it up AGAIN. I know you think it’s a hoax or a green agenda or something like that. I couldn’t care less, believe what you want it’s beyond boring at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Banarol

I thought it was 0.3 of equalling it. I think its a provisional 33.0 so it has yet to be rounded off yet? Yes we could have to wait many years to have another go at it or it could happen maybe next month, next year, next decade. Nobody knows for sure. It could be a while put it that way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Well that's the Record safe until next year at least most likely. That's summer over for another year roll on winter....lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭pauldry

Got a shock there. Went into house and it was 22c . Went out about 30 minutes later and it was 17c and windy and freezing. The joys of the Northwest. And the NW wind is back too. Thank God I went for a walk in the heat at lunchtime or I'd have missed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,169 ✭✭✭pad199207

Weather Station is absolutely alive with flies

• Registered Users Posts: 14,122 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Some have bee banging on and on and on about that record in Kilkenny as some kind of proof that climate change isn't real, change the f'n record like

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭pauldry

So 17c in Sligo and just over an hour East its 30c. That's some difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

Flying ants. Millions of them emerging this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,339 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

• Registered Users Posts: 23,976 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Hoors, just killed a couple in the kitchen.

The only windows I now have open is balcony and patio doors with heavy curtains over them.

This is deeply unpleasant now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Cooling down in meath 😂, temp currently 28.6c clouded over now to, with a nice breeze

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭US3

The forecast for the weekend coming is sunshine and 24°. Is that not summer weather ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,779 ✭✭✭Comhrá

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭busunderer

Nice 5’ drop over the past 2 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 11,018 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Surely you can only compare 'like with like' insofar as possible. So Kilkenny 1887 against Kilkenny 2022 might have some value, even though Kilkenny has expanded since it's still small enough. But comparing Kilkenny 1887 against Phoenix Park 2022 is a bit meaningless. They are very different local environments.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Plenty of interesting soundings taken in England today. This one from Nottingham, for example, showing 35.4 C at actual time of launch (17Z). Note the well-mixed boundary layer from the straight DALR temperature curve (red) and uniform dewpoint curve (blue), but that it has only mixed out to just above 900 hPa due to some cloudiness. The maximum possible temperature can be found by bringing the 850-hPa inversion down to the surface, around 39-40 C. Compare the 18Z sounding to the earlier 11Z sounding underneath and you can see how the surface heating evolved throughout the afternoon.

Here's an early morning (05Z) sounding from Larkhill (beside Stonehenge) followed by the 08Z one. The morning one shows the shallow cool surface layer, (17.4 C) which warms out during the morning to 27.8 C by 08Z and suggests a maximum possible temperature of around 40 C in the absence of cloud. However, several layers of mid-high-level cloud are visible (around 550-500 hPa and 440 hPa), so take a few degrees off that. In the end it got to 35.4 C.

I have to say, the models have performed miraculously on this over the past week. Haven't really budged on the synoptics all week and even had the main heat areas nailed down way out in advance. I give them a 9.5/10 on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭barneyrub

Dropped my teenager to camp at the beach tonight. Been planned since a few days ago due to the forecast. This morning ME had 30 degrees at 5pm and gradually drop off.

Was a very cool 17 degrees when I dropped him at 6.30.

Nice here from 12-4 but nothing of note unfortunately

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Really enjoyed today, we got everything except the official max temperature for Ireland broken. Many places saw temperature records shattered. Today was most likely a once in per 150 year event for Meath/Dublin in terms of widespread 30s lasting throughout the day. Unlikely we will see this again in our life time.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,354 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I have my kids baby gro egg plugged in at home. Still measuring 29 degrees outside in the shade in Athlone :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Kalyke

• Advertisement

Phoenix Park actually 33.1 C. (Casement 31.9, Oak Park 30.6)

Temperature records broken as Met Éireann establish new Climate Services Division - Met Éireann - The Irish Meteorological Service

Temperature records broken as Met Éireann establish new Climate Services Division

July 2022 is seeing multiple local temperature records provisionally broken at various Met Éireann weather stations nationwide. Notably, the Phoenix Park weather station has reached a number of milestones, by provisionally recording its highest temperature since data was first recorded in the early 1800s, reaching 33.1°C on Monday 18th July 2022 around 3:30pm, this is:

• The 2nd highest temperature on record for Ireland, being 0.2°C below the all-time record of 33.3°C observed at Kilkenny Castle on Sun 26 June 1887
    • The highest in the 21st century – beating Elphin, Co. Roscommon’s record of 32.3°C on Wednesday 19th July 2006
    • Higher than any temperature of the 20th century, the previous maximum being 32.5°C at Boora, Co. Offaly on Tuesday 29th Jun 1976
    • Highest temperature ever recorded in Dublin.

12.8°C above its long-term average ( 1981-2010 LTA)

Other stations which have recorded provisional highest-ever temperatures are Dunsany, Co. Meath at 30.2° (10.7°C above LTA), Mullingar, Co. Westmeath at 30.4°C (11.2°C above LTA), Ballyhaise, Co. Cavan at 30.5°C (10.7°C above LTA) and Mount Dillon, Co. Roscommon at 31.0°C (11.3 above LTA).

To verify a new temperature record, a number of steps will now be undertaken: a committee of experts has to examine the observation, the equipment, calibration and observation practices, how the temperature corresponds to surrounding stations and its own observational record.

Advertisement