Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hot Spell - Saturday 16th July onwards

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

So, given we have 8 weeks left of potential for decent sustained weather would anyone care to predict can we get a second good spell of high temperatures again this summer?

Anyone recall a summer where we had temps in mid to high twenties followed by another good spell later on?

In recent memory for me it seems to be one and done with regard to these spells.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,976 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Last year's spell was longer, this year's was (is) hotter

I'm more than happy with an 18C summer in Ireland so long as we don't get constant Atlantic fronts.

An arctic high is my ideal summer.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Todays historic max temperatueres. Most of coastal Ireland got over 25C today, many inland locations 30C+ except for the coastal areas of Galway and Mayo which stayed in the teens. 33.3C reached at Churchtown. Official max of 33.1C at Phoenix Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

UK much cooler than I thought (relatively speaking).

Looking at the weather maps now, its still 24, 25c at 1030pm at night. Thats also impressive, but absolutely horrid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Billcarson

To me a perfect summers day in Ireland is dry and mostly sunny with a max around 21c. Anything over about 23c or 24c I'm not overly fond of ,only like those temperatures if going to the beach for example.

• Advertisement

most definitely will, and with increasing frequency.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭Dazler97

No we wanted that 135 year record temperature to be smashed and it sadly didn't happen, I'm actually gutted

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

We were 0.2C away from breaking the record. An extra 20 minutes of sunshine in the Phoenix Park early afternoon may have done it or if the skies where slightly less hazy overall. That 2 to 3 our spell of cloud between 12pm and 3pm prevented the record from being smashed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Whatever about today being an epic heat day with 33 degrees reached, I think the past 1-2 weeks have been fantastic. I can only talk from a Dublin perspective as I havent been travelling the past couple of weeks but in my opinion this has been much more than just a 2 - 3 day event. I am pretty sure that nearly the past 10 days have seen constant temperatures between 21-25 degrees, on 11th July if memory serves me well we had a 28 degrees, the day before we had a 26 or 27. Then the past couple of days 29 and 33. Even tomorrow before it cools down its to hit 26 degrees. This in my opinion has not been just a very short hot spell, July has been a really good weather month after a very disappointing June. Thats my thoughts on it anyway, I have been out in a t-shirt and shorts pretty much every day for the past week or two.

Same here in Meath. June was dissapointing but there was still that 2 week mid period which had some fairly warm and sunny days if a bit isolated. It saved June from being a write-off. This summer has been dissapointing in terms of sunshine but the temperatures have been something else this July overall, more similar to how I imagine a summer in London is normally like. The past week has been something special far warmer than 2018, 2013 or even 1995 in this part of Ireland. I won't be forgetting this July for a long time to come. The final segment of July doesn't look great but it will be alot better than the first week with temperatures mostly around 20 to 22C for the remainder of the month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Absolutely. Hasn't been as hot here the last few days (just the 29c in Moore Park!) in Cork but we actually got the present good weather here on Wednesday, 13 days ago and for a few days the Dublin lads on here were bemoaning that they were missing out - be careful what you wish for! So two great weeks here in Cork and it looks reasonably nice for the next week. Off on hols in a fortnight so that's ideal for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭busunderer

11:00pm 24.8c

• Registered Users Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

I got a new station record too at 28.5c which I'm delighted with

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭gandalfio

If these temperatures are measured in the shade, how hot would todays max have been in the sun?

Casement and Dunsany 25 degrees at 10pm, mental stuff. I was just out for a stroll and couldnt get over how warm it still was. T-shirt and shorts at nearly 11pm, a day to remember

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭Dazler97

I know if it wasn't for that feckin stubborn cloud :(

Still 24C here at 11.15pm. Insane stuff. I've only ever experience this level of warmth at night in southern Spain.

We've definitely checked off the temperature box and dryness box for what makes a great summer. Now if only we get a decent one week spell of high pressure with plenty of gin blue skies before September this will be a classic summer, it doesn't have to get into the 30s but a week of 25C with gin blue skies with bags of sunshine and i'll be so happy with this summer.

The bags of sunshine is the missing ingredient this summer. A half decent August would be the icing on the cake and the dissapointing June can be forgiven.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭firemansam4

Think we got to about 22/23c here in Fanad Co Donegal, although other areas in Donegal away from the coasts went much higher.

Im happy with that and its been a lovely day here, although think its starting to cool down considerably now.

All in all though I would say this has been the only really decent day for us here. Nothing compared to last years spell which brought a much longer period and I think it was hotter for a few days as well.

Casement now 27 degrees at 11pm, surely that has to be a mistake!!! could that be possible??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

West Limerick 31C (in the shade), 186 meters ASL

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

Unfortunately Donegal and the north-west has had a very poor summer because none of the warm weather has come from the usual sources such as Azores highs with easterlies or south-easterlies. When the wind direction is of an easterly nature under high pressure during the summer, the west and north-west does particularly well with daytime temperatures and warm temperatures holding on to late in the evening. A north-west flow dominated much of June and first week of July so the north-west has been the first line of defence against the wrath of the Atlantic this summer. Scotland north of the Glasgow-Edinburgh corridor in similar position just worse.

Donegal and Mayo pretty much relies on an Azores high to be centered over Ireland for days on end or a ridge of high pressure drawing in easterlies/south-easterlies to get the good weather. South-westerlies not great for the north west either wheras the east and south can do fairly good from them in the summer once there is not a band of rain or showers crossing the country in an unstable Atlantic flow.

I doubt it, this was highlighted in the Arpege yesterday. A very uncomfortable night for Dublin with temperatures remaining in the low 20s for the rest of the night and back to mid twenties tomorrow. The 27 should fall to mid to low 20s soon enough tho, it won't stay at that level for much longer. Still 23 touching 24 here in Dunshaughlin and there is no heat urban affect here i'm surrounded by fields, cows and the odd house. I'm happy i'm not spending the night in Dublin tonight that would be very uncomfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

Is the Met Eireann 27°C at 11pm a typo? It was 25°C at 10pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

Casement that is

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

The first time I experienced dead heat was when I got off the plane in Bulgaria the first time I went. The heat just heat me. I couldn't believe it and the taxi driver drove to the hotel with the window open the whole way and I never got cold. It was also my first time experiencing really hot nights. I was staying in my aunties apartment and it didn't have AC that time. She got the units installed not long after I was there so the second time I was there there was AC.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Hairypoppins

Temperatures rising here at casement, was 25 at 10pm ,now 27 ,astonishing stuff,I can feel it too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

You're not asking for much there Gonzo 🤣

Carlsberg don't do Irish summers...

• Advertisement

I was thinking it was an error going up to 27 degrees but given the day that has been, nothing would surprise me. I was just out for a walk and its really balmy outside

Advertisement