Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gas hob wired directly to back of separate oven

Options
  • 13-07-2022 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi,

My separate Electrolux gas hob is wired directly into the back of my built-in Electrolux oven. The oven cable is wired up to a cooker switch that doesn't contain a fuse. This is wired to the fuse box/consumer unit ( which states 30mA B40). I now need a new built in oven. I presume a gas hob is not meant to be directly wired into the current oven, and shouldn't be wired into any new hardwired oven. Was this the way things were done in Ireland in the past? And what's the easiest solution to separately wire the gas hob without having to install a new separate cooker switch on the wall?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭meercat

The gas hob is only using power for the electric ignition to create a spark for the gas.

you’re right that it shouldn’t be connected to the oven

the simplest solution is to put a plug (with a 3amp fuse)on the hob lead and just stick it into a nearby socket

then just connect your new oven into the existing cable that’s fed off your cooker switch

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Snowy33

Thanks for the reply. It seems the simplest option alright. There is a socket space available where my fridge cable is plugged in, to the side the fridge, at the back of a kitchen unit. So I would have to pull out the small fridge unit if I wanted to access the hob plug if I took the easy option and plugged it into that nearest socket. Unless I were to go drilling a new hole up through the kitchen worktop.From a safety point of view, is it fine to just plug it into that fridge socket, unseen out the back like that? And not connected to any cooker switch or cooker connection unit? Or any visible socket or socket switch? Given that, like you said, the power would only be used for the spark.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭meercat

Technically the socket is supposed to be readily accessible.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭jumbone

If the socket behind the fridge is fed from above AND if the cables are in conduit you could add FCU switch online above the counter (and change the socket to an unswitched one if it isn't already)

Would basically give you a switch beside the cooker switch that Co trols the hob and if you're lucky, no decorating/Making good

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Snowy33

I finally got round to checking that jumbone. A cable runs along the floor from that double socket beside the fridge (behind the kitchen units plinth, to the left of the oven) through a conduit and over to another double socket to the right of the oven, which my washing machine is plugged into. A cable then runs from that double socket behind my kitchen sink press units, towards the far corner of my kitchen. So the socket is not fed from above.

If instead of buying an oven that required hardwiring, I bought one that required a 13amp plug, could I just hook up the cable from the cooker switch, which like I said currently goes directly into the back of my current oven, into a double socket? And then plug in both the new 13amp plugged oven and the gas hob with a 3 amp fused plug into that socket?

• Advertisement
Advertisement