Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gravelled driveway

Options
  • 13-07-2022 6:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭

I have 20mm quartz on a driveway that goes around the house. It has gotten thin and patchy. Could I top it up with a smaller cut of the same stone or should I stay with the 20mm. Options are 14mm or 10mm. Don't know if they're standard sizes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭standardg60

I've always found the 14mm to be the best for general use, and it will help to knit the existing 20. 10 is way too fine for me, belongs at the bottom of a fish tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Go 14. 10 as said is to small. Your car tyres will be full of it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Heighway61

Cheers for the replies. So no real issues putting the 14 on top of the 20?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Paddy McGinty

I have a similar quandary... driveway all around the house but it only ever had the really large 'maintenance' stone on it since drive was constructed about 15 years ago. We've only recently retired back to Ireland from UK so never really had the time, money or dedication for it in the past!

We'd prefer to get a nice Ashphalt job done on it but struggling to find anyone local who can do it.

Thinking that if we cover it with smaller stone it'll improve appearance straight away and if it 'knits' into the larger stone it might help to ultimately improve the base for an ashphalt top coat at a later date?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Remember that when you go to put on more stone you need a decent depth of stone to allow it to 'knit' and in order to do that (and to accommodate any surrounding paths etc) you may have to take off some of the old stone. My drive had been covered with large, smooth pebbles and it was a pain, the pebbles shifted all the time and rolled off down the slope. I had something like 30 tonnes taken off and replaced with 30 tonnes of limestone chips. I was recommended to get the limestone levelled then rolled, then another layer of limestone, graded and rolled again, and it has made an excellent surface. It does now have a few small weeds which I will spray, but it doesn't shift and looks well. It was easily the cheapest job available, but was exactly what I wanted.

Post edited by looksee on

• Advertisement
Advertisement